Corsair HX1200 vs EVGA Supernova 1300 G2

Slizzo

Just wanting quick opinions on which one to get? I would like to keep the comparison between the P2 of both but the P2 isn't readily available anymore (when you can find them they're all well over $300).

So it's down to the HX1200 and the G2 1300. I know the Corsair is Platinum rated, and the EVGA is "only" gold, price difference is only $16 currently between the two at Amazon, would everyone say "of course" to the HX1200 over the Supernova G3?

I'm running a 10940X, 3080 Ti and a full open loop, this is why I am looking to upgrade the PSU. I have a feeling that the 850W P2 I have currently is right at the top of it's available power it can provide without being stressed close to 100%.

8 minutes ago, Slizzo said:

Just wanting quick opinions on which one to get? I would like to keep the comparison between the P2 of both but the P2 isn't readily available anymore (when you can find them they're all well over $300).

So it's down to the HX1200 and the G2 1300. I know the Corsair is Platinum rated, and the EVGA is "only" gold, price difference is only $16 currently between the two at Amazon, would everyone say "of course" to the HX1200 over the Supernova G3?

I'm running a 10940X, 3080 Ti and a full open loop, this is why I am looking to upgrade the PSU. I have a feeling that the 850W P2 I have currently is right at the top of it's available power it can provide without being stressed close to 100%.

How much power does your system draw from the wall in full load? 650W max?

12 minutes ago, Slizzo said:

I have a feeling that the 850W P2 I have currently is right at the top of it's available power it can provide without being stressed close to 100%.

that's quite some sixth sense you got there

i wouldnt touch it if it's running just fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well, when I can stress both the CPU and GPU at the same time, I'm looking at my UPS which is telling me it's running quite a bit over 700W sometimes knocking on the door of 800W.

I have *a feeling* 850W is enough

250W CPU (supposing all time crazy OC)

400W GPU (idem)

150W for a bunch of drives and stuff

Needs 800W *max*, so it's okay, but given that no IRL load uses 100% CPU and 100% GPU, you're real good 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, Slizzo said:

Well, when I can stress both the CPU and GPU at the same time, I'm looking at my UPS which is telling me it's running quite a bit over 700W sometimes knocking on the door of 800W.

The wattage rating on PSUs is for the ouput so after efficiency losses. If it's pulling 800W from the wall/UPS then that means it's likely outputting around 720-730W.

The UPS power meter won't catch any transient power spikes that only last a few ms though which might cause a PSU to shut down in some cases, especially with high end ampere cards which can spike quite high, but if you're not having problems I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep in mind both the HX1200 and EVGA G2 1200 are quite large PSUs at 20cm in depth, 3.5cm or just over an inch longer than your current P2. Make sure your case can accommodate the larger PSUs.

The EVGA G2 will use the same cables as your P2 which might be a benefit if you've already purchased custom cables for your system. The Corsair HX1200 uses different cables so you will need to use the cables that come with it, can't use your old EVGA P2 cables.

The HX1200 is technically the better PSU, more efficient, features multi-rail/single rail mode switch, and is much quieter.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Slizzo said:

Which is an AC reading.  Not DC.