I want to run display port and USB about 10m with one cable?

Joe W

Okay so where I live is very tight on space for the most part, I have my PC behind my TV in the living room in the corner. In the opposite corner of the room I have my desk with my monitor where I want to be able to do my coursework ect. My tv will be what I game on due to it being 4k, the distance is too far for any Bluetooth devices to work properly else I'd just run a display port around the room. Am I right I thinking I could use a thunderbolt card and run just the one thunderbolt cable to a dock on my desk which I could use to run display to one monitor but also have access to USB 3? I'll need to get a motherboard with more pcie slots but I've been meaning to upgrade it anyway because the case has so much space, I've also got a 3080 in there so how would I get the display out from thunderbolt?

Thanks 

The maximum specified length for Thunderbolt over wire is 3m. It might be difficult to find a cable longer than that, and since that is outside the official spec, it might not work properly if you do.

Search for a PCIe card that has DisplayPort in and Thunderbolt out. Your typical TB add-in card does not transport a video signal. You need one you can plug your GPU into.

~edit: Example

https://www.amazon.com/SUNIX-USB-C-Express-Alternate-Mode-UPD2018/dp/B01MY4WRBU?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

31 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The maximum specified length for Thunderbolt over wire is 3m. It might be difficult to find a cable longer than that, and since that is outside the official spec, it might not work properly if you do.

Search for a PCIe card that has DisplayPort in and Thunderbolt out. Your typical TB add-in card does not transport a video signal. You need one you can plug your GPU into.

~edit: Example

https://www.amazon.com/SUNIX-USB-C-Express-Alternate-Mode-UPD2018/dp/B01MY4WRBU?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

I'm watching the video of linus titled I may never upgrade again, where he inserts a Thunderbolt addin card - then plugs displayport to mini displayport in on the new card. I assume then you could run that Thunderbolt to a dock and output the display from the dock?

Before buying some add-in card think about just running 2 cables. 1 DisplayPort and 1 USB. Both have to be active or fiber cables for this length though. So either way, it's gonna be quite costly.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.