Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My GPU fan is whirring and I can't tell why.

Zaire

All of a sudden, about 30 minutes before writing this, my GPU fan started making a deep whirring sound.
I opened it up and had a look because I thought it might be getting caught on something or there's something caught in the fan, but no. It's not in contact with anything and I've cleared out all the dust to be safe.

Pressing on the middle gently seems to stop the whirring, so I thought it might be loose, however I tightened all the screws to be sure and no change.

Pressing on it seems to be the only way to stop it, even if only temporarily.

Are there any suggestions on what the issue could be? It's a 3 year old GTX 1050Ti

Edit: I forgot to mention that it not only whirs, but spins quite slow. That should be an important detail

3 minutes ago, Zaire said:

All of a sudden, about 30 minutes before writing this, my GPU fan started making a deep whirring sound.
I opened it up and had a look because I thought it might be getting caught on something or there's something caught in the fan, but no. It's not in contact with anything and I've cleared out all the dust to be safe.

Pressing on the middle gently seems to stop the whirring, so I thought it might be loose, however I tightened all the screws to be sure and no change.

Pressing on it seems to be the only way to stop it, even if only temporarily.

Are there any suggestions on what the issue could be? It's a 3 year old GTX 1050Ti

Could be an issue with the fan bearing, depending on it you may be looking into a fan replacement.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I'll have to consider it, but I hope I don't have to buy a replacement fan when I plan to get a new GPU sometime soon.

2 minutes ago, Zaire said:

I'll have to consider it, but I hope I don't have to buy a replacement fan when I plan to get a new GPU sometime soon.

Yes, 1050ti is a bit underwhelming. Anything specific you have on your mind?

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

might need a new fan they are not hard to get and install

Depending on your GPU, you could just put a normal 120mm case fan on the cooler and use it that way. Arctic fans cost only a few dollars and are quite good. And the gtx1050 ti doesnt need that much cooling

23 minutes ago, Zaire said:

You can get new fans pretty cheap. I know I was able to find a complete fan assembly new for my 1050TI. On mine the fan shroud came off separate of the heatsink, so the heatsink could remain installed even. (although I removed mine to repaste the GPU). 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, krakek said:

Yes, 1050ti is a bit underwhelming. Anything specific you have on your mind?

Not specifically, I used to plan to get a 1080Ti a while ago.

I'm open to moderately priced suggestions, nothing higher than £350. I'll probably need to replace other parts of my PC as well though. My CPU is an intel i5 8400 and it'd bottleneck anything better than my current GPU. I'll need to replace that too.

And it seems everyone suggests a new fan. Damn.

If you get a normal Case fan, you can use it later in a new build. It wouldnt really be a waste

Can anyone suggest where to find them? What sites etc?

You can normally get fan replacements on aliexpress or ebay.
if you just want a case fan, amazon is also an option

3 hours ago, Zaire said:

I'll probably need to replace other parts of my PC as well though. My CPU is an intel i5 8400 and it'd bottleneck anything better than my current GPU

Nope it'll work just fine with a 1080ti, its not that old or bad.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity