build for a friend

krakek

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Star citizen

Other details build that I suggested and he plans to buy now (due to obvious geopolitical and geoeconomical risks), he plans to keep his old NVMe SSD.

MoBo: Z690 Gigabyte gaming X
CPU: 12700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance [CMK32GX5M2B5600C36]
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax
GPU: RTX 3080 12GB Gigabyte gaming OC
PSU: Corsair RM850CP-X

Case: Fractal Torrent compact

Any last minute comments?

p.s. the idea was to build a solid no corners cut gaming machine with good long term endurance but without anything excessive.

p.p.s. with the set up I tried to keep contruction easier, thus looked at a case with good stock coolers etc, as this would be his first PC build.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Save some money and go with the 12700/F and a good DDR4 B660 board like the Gigabyte B660 Gaming X or MSI PRO B660-A etc. 

You could also look for a cheaper cooler as Noctua is always expensive. A Scythe Fuma 2/Rev.B or Deepcool AK620 etc. 

Stick with DDR4 as DDR5 is still expensive for very little gain.

There are rumours that the RTX4000 series could be out mid July. I guess it depends on how soon he needs the pc.

7 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Save some money and go with the 12700/F and a good DDR4 B660 board like the Gigabyte B660 Gaming X or MSI PRO B660-A etc. 

You could also look for a cheaper cooler as Noctua is always expensive. A Scythe Fuma 2/Rev.B or Deepcool AK620 etc. 

Stick with DDR4 as DDR5 is still expensive for very little gain.

There are rumours that the RTX4000 series could be out mid July. I guess it depends on how soon he needs the pc.

The issue here is, well, future proofing. While normally it is silly in his case he is concerned that in the future he would not be able to buy a PC in Russia due to sanctions, so he wants more or less top of the line no corners cut and now.

Otherwise - reasonable suggestions, I offered the B660/12600F/DDR-4 as one of the options (rejected).

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

13 hours ago, krakek said:

The issue here is, well, future proofing. While normally it is silly in his case he is concerned that in the future he would not be able to buy a PC in Russia due to sanctions, so he wants more or less top of the line no corners cut and now.

Otherwise - reasonable suggestions, I offered the B660/12600F/DDR-4 as one of the options (rejected).

As long as he is aware that DDR5 has little impact on performance vs DDR4 for most games. 

The Techspot (Hardware Unboxed) review below is worth looking at as it shows quite a few different games. 

https://www.techspot.com/review/2387-ddr4-vs-ddr5/