AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 Series - Launching This Fall

LAwLz

@LAwLzAMD has clarified that AM5 will be able to support up to 170W TDP and 230W PPT.

Socket AM4 has a 142 W PPT and supports CPUs with TDPs of up to 105 W. AMD's original announcement and press briefings made it sound like socket AM5 would support a 170 W PPT, a modest increase compared to AM4 but well short of the 241 W that Intel's LGA1700 socket can provide. On Thursday, AMD clarified to Tom's Hardware that the 170 W number refers to the maximum TDP of socket AM5 processors and that the PPT number could go as high as 230 W, which is much higher than AM4 and more in line with Intel's platform.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/05/amd-provides-more-details-on-how-much-power-socket-am5-cpus-will-be-able-to-use/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Saw that guy Kopikimi saying Ryzen 7k is looking to boost to 5.85ghz... man I can't wait... I just bought a 5900x but if this is true im upgrading.  I was really considering Intel but I like AMD better but we'll see what reviews/specs say.

230W? 5.85Ghz?

Nice, won't need to turn on the heating next winter.

15 hours ago, Rauten said:

230W? 5.85Ghz?

Nice, won't need to turn on the heating next winter.

again, the 230W is the socket, not ryzen 7k necessarily.

AMD had significant issues with some first gen am4 boards straight up not having the power delivery for zen 2 and zen 3 chips, even though they met the spec of am4 at the time of release. AMD is specing am5 higher to prevent that issue and give them flexibility with zen 5 and 6 in terms of power. 

Some info regarding the possible pricing of AM5 motherboards by Moore's Law is Dead:

2022-06-01_16-49-52-1.thumb.png.84e6d4c9497ea5bbdd192f4299201373.png

•            AMD X670E Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $300-$400 US / Up To $500 US
  •            AMD X670 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $270-$350 US / Down To $250 US
  •            AMD B650E Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $250-$330 US / Up To $350US
  •            AMD B650 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $150-$230US / Down To $130 US
  •            AMD A620 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Below $100 US / Up To $120 US (Few Variants)

X670 & B650 Chipsets Might Start at $130 US & Go All The Way Up To $500 US. The X670E chipset will mostly be powering the higher-end and enthusiast motherboards but there will be certain variants that could cost well above the $1000 US limit such as 'Limited Edition' water-cooled variants like the Aqua OC which will come later. The X670 and B650E chipsets will be priced very similarly and the main reason is that B650E will be using more PCB layers to support the Gen 5 interface whereas, most X670 motherboards don't require that. The standard B650 motherboards are going to be similarly priced to the B550 motherboards but a little bit lower while the AMD A620 motherboards will mostly come under the $100 US price range with a few special variants costing $20-$30 more due to added USB4 support.

All AMD AM5 motherboards except the A620 support Ryzen 7000 Desktop CPU overclocking.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-am5-x670e-x670-b650e-b650-a620-motherboard-prices-start-under-100-us-go-as-high-as-500-us/ 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, AluminiumTech said:

@LAwLzAMD has clarified that AM5 will be able to support up to 170W TDP and 230W PPT.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/05/amd-provides-more-details-on-how-much-power-socket-am5-cpus-will-be-able-to-use/

With these kinds of numbers, I wonder why they decreased the surface area of the IHS plate. Curious. They must run very cool? 170w = 580btu/hour. 

Excited to replace my 3600 with this new lineup! Hopefully wont be too hard to get one on launch..

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: RTX 3060ti Ventus 3X 8G RAM: 16gb 3200 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Case: Corsair 275R

Keyboard: K70 RGB MK.2 Headphones: Sennheiser Game One

21 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

With these kinds of numbers, I wonder why they decreased the surface area of the IHS plate. Curious. They must run very cool? 170w = 580btu/hour. 

According to AnandTech, "AMD is using a new heat spreader (IHS) design on Ryzen 7000, which AMD has done to allow compatibility with previous socket AM4 coolers. This means that theoretically, users looking to upgrade to Ryzen 7000 will be able to use pre-existing coolers with socket AM4 support."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17399/amd-ryzen-7000-announced-zen4-pcie5-ddr5-am5-coming-fall

So it appears the only reason for the redesign, was to allow compatibility with AM4 coolers. 

46 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

According to AnandTech, "AMD is using a new heat spreader (IHS) design on Ryzen 7000, which AMD has done to allow compatibility with previous socket AM4 coolers. This means that theoretically, users looking to upgrade to Ryzen 7000 will be able to use pre-existing coolers with socket AM4 support."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17399/amd-ryzen-7000-announced-zen4-pcie5-ddr5-am5-coming-fall

So it appears the only reason for the redesign, was to allow compatibility with AM4 coolers. 

OK, so the AM5 hole pattern is the same as the AM4. Then also the height/depth is the same.

But why cut notches out of the IHS plate. It doesn't make sense to allow compatibility, they simply removed material otherwise. 

Less copper = less production cost (plus it looks cool too!!) is my best guess.

1 hour ago, Guest 5150 said:

But why cut notches out of the IHS plate. It doesn't make sense to allow compatibility, they simply removed material otherwise. 

Less copper = less production cost (plus it looks cool too!!) is my best guess.

"It turns out that the jigsaw-like IHS design found on Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 CPUs frees room for capacitors that would otherwise need to be on the rear of the chip, which helps keep the size of AM5 and AM4 sockets the same."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7000-am5-cooler-compatibility

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

"It turns out that the jigsaw-like IHS design found on Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 CPUs frees room for capacitors that would otherwise need to be on the rear of the chip, which helps keep the size of AM5 and AM4 sockets the same."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7000-am5-cooler-compatibility

Nice utilization of space! Answers my question, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Nice utilization of space! Answers my question, thanks!

You're welcome! 👍

6 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Some info regarding the possible pricing of AM5 motherboards by Moore's Law is Dead:

•            AMD X670E Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $300-$400 US / Up To $500 US
  •            AMD X670 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $270-$350 US / Down To $250 US
  •            AMD B650E Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $250-$330 US / Up To $350US
  •            AMD B650 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Ranging From $150-$230US / Down To $130 US
  •            AMD A620 Chipset 'AM5' Motherboards - Below $100 US / Up To $120 US (Few Variants)

X670 & B650 Chipsets Might Start at $130 US & Go All The Way Up To $500 US. The X670E chipset will mostly be powering the higher-end and enthusiast motherboards but there will be certain variants that could cost well above the $1000 US limit such as 'Limited Edition' water-cooled variants like the Aqua OC which will come later. The X670 and B650E chipsets will be priced very similarly and the main reason is that B650E will be using more PCB layers to support the Gen 5 interface whereas, most X670 motherboards don't require that. The standard B650 motherboards are going to be similarly priced to the B550 motherboards but a little bit lower while the AMD A620 motherboards will mostly come under the $100 US price range with a few special variants costing $20-$30 more due to added USB4 support.

All AMD AM5 motherboards except the A620 support Ryzen 7000 Desktop CPU overclocking.

Firstly, the sentence "X670 & B650 Chipsets Might Start at $130 US & Go All The Way Up To $500 US." is misleading on WCCFTech's part. The video says that B650 may start at $130, but X670 will not. It'll start at ~$250. The slide and list above agrees with this. Whoever wrote that heading (which then got formatted as a sentence here) was being misleading.

Now I (and many others on this forum) have my opinions about MLID, but ignoring that: these prices sound super high? Are they seriously expecting people to spend upwards of $250 on a B-series board?

Like, the cheapest X570 motherboard I can see in the UK (scan) is £140 ($175) including the 20% sales tax - so about $145 pre-tax. A quick glance on Newegg shows a lot of boards at around that price in the US too. According to this though, X670 boards are meant to be over $100 more than that? Now yes, of course, the boards will go down in price over time. But by 40-50%? Sorry but I'm pressing X to doubt on that one, especially given that the B650 prices don't seem nearly as outrageous compared to those of B550 boards today.

These prices do, however, reinforce my belief that B650E is fucking stupid and shouldn't exist. If your budget is high enough that you're dropping $250-300 on your motherboard, the $20 difference between B650E and X670 is basically meaningless. If it were a $50 difference then sure, but given that you'll also be missing out on a bunch of USB ports and the likes by dropping down to B650E (on the assumption they are - as rumored - just B650 boards with a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot) it just seems stupid unless its some mini-ITX only chipset or something.

Personally though I don't think there's much reason at all to go above B650 for this generation of CPUs at all unless you really want to overclock, since PCIe 5.0 is absolutely useless to most people at this time. Rumor has it Nvidia's cards won't support PCIe 5.0 this gen and even if AMD's do, chances are the uplift will be in the realm of 2-3% just like last time. Is 2-3% really worth spending $150 on? No. Just spend it on a better CPU/GPU/anything else instead - you'll get a better return out of that. And no, you shouldn't buy a board with a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot for "future proofness" either. Just buy a B650 board and then buy a new board with a 5.0 x16 slot (be that a B850 board or a second-hand X670 board or whatever) in a few years time when you actually need the feature. You'll spend less this way.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

Personally though I don't think there's much reason at all to go above B650 for this generation of CPUs at all unless you really want to overclock, since PCIe 5.0 is absolutely useless to most people at this time. Rumor has it Nvidia's cards won't support PCIe 5.0 this gen and even if AMD's do, chances are the uplift will be in the realm of 2-3% just like last time. Is 2-3% really worth spending $150 on? No. Just spend it on a better CPU/GPU/anything else instead - you'll get a better return out of that. And no, you shouldn't buy a board with a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot for "future proofness" either. Just buy a B650 board and then buy a new board with a 5.0 x16 slot (be that a B850 board or a second-hand X670 board or whatever) in a few years time when you actually need the feature. You'll spend less this way.

300 (x670) + 400 (rtx 4060) + 500 (rtx 7060) isnt really more then
180 (b650) + 400 (rtx 4060) + 500 (rtx 7060) + 200 (b850)
Plus this also assumes only running for four years. I would imagine with am5 you would run the platform closer to 8-10 given you can slot zen 6 into it. so whatever an rtx 10060 is called would be relevant at the end of the lifespan. 

And second hand mobos are a sketch buy genereally. Second hand CPUs and GPUs all day every day, but mobos often have issues. 

My understanding of why x670 prices are speculated to be so high vs x570 is because of the timing for pcie 5.0 being such a major pain in the ass for manufactures. 

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

300 (x670) + 400 (rtx 4060) + 500 (rtx 7060) isnt really more then

It might not be a big price difference, but chances are the second one will be better.

But this also assumes that you will be upgrading within 4 years, which I think will most likely be a waste of money. Most people do not need to upgrade in 4 years. Most people do it because they like buying expensive things.

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

I would imagine with am5 you would run the platform closer to 8-10 given you can slot zen 6 into it.

1) I don't think AM5 will stick around for 8 to 10 years. AM4 didn't even stick around for 6.

2) I don't think the people buying a new PC and then instantly start thinking about when they should upgrade it the next time are the same people who keep components around for 10 years. How many people on this forum who planned and "future proofed" their PC do you think still run a motherboard from 2012?

3) Do we even know if Zen 6 will work on AM5 motherboards? If the answer is yes, do we know that Zen6 processors will work on the X670 motherboards that are about to be released? I am fairly sure AMD did not want to confirm any questions about longevity of the platform. They said AM5 would probably stick around for a while, but as we learned with AM4, just because AMD says the socket will continue to be used does not mean they promise that support for the various chipsets will continue.

7 hours ago, starsmine said:

And second hand mobos are a sketch buy genereally. Second hand CPUs and GPUs all day every day, but mobos often have issues. 

[Citation Needed]

7 hours ago, starsmine said:

My understanding of why x670 prices are speculated to be so high vs x570 is because of the timing for pcie 5.0 being such a major pain in the ass for manufactures. 

That's how I understand it too.

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think AM5 will stick around for 8 to 10 years. AM4 didn't even stick around for 6.

Isn't it basically exactly 6 years, at least when AM5 is supposed to release. Only 3 months of exactly 6 years.

Also it's not like AM4 is going away when Am5 comes out but I think you mainly mean timeframe between sockets though.

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It might not be a big price difference, but chances are the second one will be better.

Probably but why would anyone be upgrading the motherboard and not also the CPU? Wasn't the point to not have to upgrade motherboards, supposedly. B series to B series with CPU will almost always give better performance and feature upgrade but potentially at higher cost, going X670 (at reasonable cost) and can support proper CPU upgrade is that desire that many want (but don't actually do on mass).

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) I don't think AM5 will stick around for 8 to 10 years. AM4 didn't even stick around for 6.

2) I don't think the people buying a new PC and then instantly start thinking about when they should upgrade it the next time are the same people who keep components around for 10 years. How many people on this forum who planned and "future proofed" their PC do you think still run a motherboard from 2012?

I did not say am5 will stick around for 8 to 10 years with support from amd, but changing platform is a massive cost, Since you have to change CPU and Ram with that as well on top of getting a new mother board. 
The VALUE in changing platforms is low generally. 

swapping in a zen 6 chip from zen 4 is cheap. Moving onto zen 7 chip or whatever it will be called is expensive even if you buy low end, and for what gains?

Take even a previous real world example example going from Ivy bridge to skylake you are not spending just the cost of a new 200-300 dollar cpu, you are also spending another 150-200 for a new motherboard and another 150-200 dollars to even match ram capacity, let alone wanting to upgrade capacity. That is a dumb purchase imo. 
Because charts like these, are misleading. Because you are not spending 350 dollars to get 28% more performance, but rather 750 to get 28% better performance. (ddr3 is actually ddr3l, which most people were not running to be able to bring over).
image.png.e1a6d00e7c730b3056674d8057d57172.png

I STRONGLY would suggest people currently on am4 to not even bother with am5 IMO for value sake, just swap it out with whatever CPU to whatever zen3 chip meets their needs, be that a 5800x3D, a 5600x, or a 5950x. buy it used when zen 4 drops for even better value. then run it till AM6 comes out. Or when with whatever intel socket comes out after raptor lake. Perhaps AM5 may make sense to those users in 4-5 years, but not today. That is why my year figures are so "long". Am5 losing support for new products does not mean jump onto am6, as that is a bad value. 

Point 2 is not fair, as most of the users on the forum were not that big into computers in 2012. And you have talked to two people in this thread who have done just that. Heck the tim guy above your post is running a 4770k. Im running a 2011 mobo, there was that other person in here running ivy bridge gear. Heck, steve from GN dailys a bulldozer based build... which I think is insane. 
I also think the premise of the question is false in the first place. 

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Isn't it basically exactly 6 years, at least when AM5 is supposed to release. Only 3 months of exactly 6 years.

Also it's not like AM4 is going away when Am5 comes out but I think you mainly mean timeframe between sockets though.

I guess. I was counting from the release of AM4 to today, which is about 5.5 years, ish. 

And yes, of course AM4 won't implode on itself the second AM5 is out, but I feel like we are just arguing semantics right now. My point is, saying that you should invest in an expensive AM5 motherboard because you will use it for 10 years is kinda silly. 

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Probably but why would anyone be upgrading the motherboard and not also the CPU? Wasn't the point to not have to upgrade motherboards, supposedly. B series to B series with CPU will almost always give better performance and feature upgrade but potentially at higher cost, going X670 (at reasonable cost) and can support proper CPU upgrade is that desire that many want (but don't actually do on mass).

Well, why do most people on this forum upgrade their PCs? Because they like spending money and buying new shiny things. 

But if we are realistic, this whole debate hinges on the flawed idea that X670 will be usable for longer than B660. In reality, both platforms will probably have an equally long life for someone buying them today. 

People don't upgrade their motherboards because they suddenly need better power phase designs. Nor do they (or should they) upgrade because of some new PCIe generation, because even PCIe from over 10 years ago is way more than enough for even the highest end graphics card when gaming. They upgrade because of new standards that no motherboard from that generation has (like M.2, new DDR generation, new CPU generation support, USB-C etc). 

15 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Firstly, the sentence "X670 & B650 Chipsets Might Start at $130 US & Go All The Way Up To $500 US." is misleading on WCCFTech's part. The video says that B650 may start at $130, but X670 will not. It'll start at ~$250. The slide and list above agrees with this. Whoever wrote that heading (which then got formatted as a sentence here) was being misleading.

...but ignoring that: these prices sound super high? Are they seriously expecting people to spend upwards of $250 on a B-series board?

That's precisely what they are pointing out, that B650 will start at $130 and X670 will go all the way up to $500. Two separate notions. 

As far as the rest of your concerns, we will have to wait and see what actually happens. Could be many reasons why they are priced higher (DDR5 for instance), but generally speaking many times with these types of things (leaked info) the prices are on the high side. We will get better info as the Summer progresses and we get closer to Fall.  

There's also this tweet:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86601/amds-new-am5-platform-is-cheap-as-chips-next-gen-mobos-to-cost-less/index.html

Anyway, @Guest 5150you might want to check out this video:

Goes into what we discussed and the info/links I posted in greater detail.

2 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Anyway, @Guest 5150you might want to check out this video:

Goes into what we discussed and the info/links I posted in greater detail.

Didn't mention it, but did look thicker. So the mass is similar. I'll check out the video though, thanks!

When I delidded and tested with TEC cooling a 2700X, the IHS plate was horrible at storing the cold energy. The cpu quickly heated the IHS plate. I have a plate from an old server cooler that's at least double the size and mass. I was able to pull off -30c idle core temps and accomplish Cinebench R15 runs on all 16 threads at 4ghz. Granted with a heafty under-volt, running 1.19v opposed to 1.40v or higher. 

The mass of the IHS plate can make a pretty big difference from any experience I've had with cooling modifications.

@BiG StroOnZ

Yep, that was a good video. Der8auer, man I remember him when he first got into OC'ing.... look at him now!! That young man has come a long way!

So it looks like AMD HAD to go thicker. That transistor density is no joke. Remember Gen 1, the first complaint was temp spikes. Then it was ripping the cpu out of the socket to check the TIM application, which was usually good application because people where yanking chips out the board left and right. Comical really. 20 years that socket design was used...... not sure why all of a sudden in 2017 it had become an issue, 4 generations of crying and now LGA. Sad, because the PGA socket was one particular feature I had thought made AMD stand out from Intel. 

Anyways, Thicker helps store the energy, but the surface area isn't larger. I think they should have went a bit larger all together to increase the surface area, these chips might stay under that 70 high temp alert. (causes a default system to command the Cpu fan 100% on all Ryzen gen so far). 

22 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

@BiG StroOnZ

Yep, that was a good video. Der8auer, man I remember him when he first got into OC'ing.... look at him now!! That young man has come a long way!

So it looks like AMD HAD to go thicker. That transistor density is no joke. Remember Gen 1, the first complaint was temp spikes. Then it was ripping the cpu out of the socket to check the TIM application, which was usually good application because people where yanking chips out the board left and right. Comical really. 20 years that socket design was used...... not sure why all of a sudden in 2017 it had become an issue, 4 generations of crying and now LGA. Sad, because the PGA socket was one particular feature I had thought made AMD stand out from Intel. 

Anyways, Thicker helps store the energy, but the surface area isn't larger. I think they should have went a bit larger all together to increase the surface area, these chips might stay under that 70 high temp alert. (causes a default system to command the Cpu fan 100% on all Ryzen gen so far). 

Glad you liked the video! 😃 Yeah, his main channel has almost 500k subs. He was originally posting English content to it, but I guess it started to get convoluted; so he made a separate channel primarily for English uploads. I do really enjoy his content, he's come a long way.

I agree, t's going to be weird with AMD switching to LGA after using PGA for so long. It really was a stand out feature that AMD had there. Probably also made a lot of people more comfortable with building too. Had a sort of simplicity to it.

The surface area of Zen 4 chips according to der8auer's speculation is that it is significantly smaller than previous Zen chips because of the jigsaw IHS design. I imagine if they could have went larger they would have, but that possibly would have limited AM4 backwards combability with coolers. They might have had to weigh the pros and cons of continuing AM4 cooler support, and I guess they went in that direction (providing backwards compatibility for AM4 coolers with AM5). 

Hopefully the thermal density on them isn't too bad, and they stay under the 70 high temp alert. Also, they are going to be running higher all-core boosts than ever before, something to keep in mind. 

7 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Glad you liked the video! 😃 Yeah, his main channel has almost 500k subs. He was originally posting English content to it, but I guess it started to get convoluted; so he made a separate channel primarily for English uploads. I do really enjoy his content, he's come a long way.

I agree, t's going to be weird with AMD switching to LGA after using PGA for so long. It really was a stand out feature that AMD had there. Probably also made a lot of people more comfortable with building too. Had a sort of simplicity to it.

The surface area of Zen 4 chips according to der8auer's speculation is that it is significantly smaller than previous Zen chips because of the jigsaw IHS design. I imagine if they could have went larger they would have, but that possibly would have limited AM4 backwards combability with coolers. They might have had to weigh the pros and cons of continuing AM4 cooler support, and I guess they went in that direction (providing backwards compatibility for AM4 coolers with AM5). 

Hopefully the thermal density on them isn't too bad, and they stay under the 70 high temp alert. Also, they are going to be running higher all-core boosts than ever before, something to keep in mind. 

I bet they run hot cause AMD is going to max the silicon capability thermally. Really I'd rather take a 4.5ghz chip and OC it to 5.5ghz on my own, but those days are long gone. 

Now I'm super duper interested in cooling mods like mentioned right? 

I'm very curious how they do in lower power states thermally.

Right now, you can take a 220ge or 200ge or similar equivalent TDP chip and slap a Wraith Prism cooler on it. Take the fan off and passively cool it safely. I once cooled a Sempron single core (AM2) around 1000mhz under a volt loaded with just a fan on the IHS plate.  

I've noticed though, the true energy efficiency of Ryzen based processors are at their base clocks. Easy to cool, good IPC also. I believe all the boosting boasting (single core boost clocks 5.5ghz oohs and aahhs) is for the birds. Not even web browsers use a simple single core anymore. It's almost a useless feature. Useless for gaming 100%.

23 hours ago, starsmine said:

300 (x670) + 400 (rtx 4060) + 500 (rtx 7060)

No, it's not much different.

But you know what would perform much better?

180(b650) + 400 (rtx 4060) + 700 (rtx 7060 Ti/7070)

As I said:

On 6/2/2022 at 5:42 AM, tim0901 said:

Just buy a B650 board and then buy a new board with a 5.0 x16 slot [...] in a few years time when you actually need the feature.

Buying a new GPU that is compatible with PCIe 5.0 does not mean you need PCIe 5.0, the same way as how you don't need a PCIe 4.0 motherboard to enjoy a 3080. In both of your examples you're spending a lot of money on a feature that will likely net you a 2-3% performance increase. Just don't bother with buying a PCIe 5.0 motherboard at all and put that money towards something else. If you do actually need the feature - and there are definitely people out there who will - then and only then should you consider it as a feature that's worth considering upgrading for.

Chances are though that most gamers won't need to upgrade their motherboard at all - AM5 will probably be a dead platform by the time we start seeing a meaningful performance loss from dropping GPUs down to PCie 4.0 x16.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

21 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

I bet they run hot cause AMD is going to max the silicon capability thermally. Really I'd rather take a 4.5ghz chip and OC it to 5.5ghz on my own, but those days are long gone. 

Now I'm super duper interested in cooling mods like mentioned right? 

I'm very curious how they do in lower power states thermally.

Right now, you can take a 220ge or 200ge or similar equivalent TDP chip and slap a Wraith Prism cooler on it. Take the fan off and passively cool it safely. I once cooled a Sempron single core (AM2) around 1000mhz under a volt loaded with just a fan on the IHS plate.  

I've noticed though, the true energy efficiency of Ryzen based processors are at their base clocks. Easy to cool, good IPC also. I believe all the boosting boasting (single core boost clocks 5.5ghz oohs and aahhs) is for the birds. Not even web browsers use a simple single core anymore. It's almost a useless feature. Useless for gaming 100%.

I definitely agree that AMD is going to max out the Silicon capability thermally. On the last page I posted info that claimed there was a Zen 4 part flying around that could do 5.85GHz. But I agree those days of getting 20-30% overclocks are long gone. I think for the general consensus having the parts maxed out from the factory makes sense, because the majority of the people out there are not going to overclock. However, it does take out much of the fun for the enthusiast niche consumer sector. Maxing out the capabilities of a part also looks good in benchmarks for reviews. 

Well, AMD said that despite the AM5 platform will be maxing out much higher than AM4, they still claimed there will be lower power parts. They said to Tom's Hardware that 65W and 105W parts will still exist alongside the 170W parts. Now the 220ge and 200ge are 35W parts, so it might be some time before we see parts like that releasing. But I imagine that the 65W parts will still be able to be cooled by some sort of stock cooler solution like a Wraith Prism. 

Yeah, the boosting algorithms have gotten quite complicated over the years, and there is definitely some level of marketing pizzazz. However, when I was still on my desktop platform (Delidded i7-3770k) I tested both all-core overclocks and per core overclocks. Surprisingly, there was some level of performance increase with the per core overclocking in certain applications. So, it is definitely specific to what type of workloads you are doing. There were a few news outlets (quoting a tweet from Ian Cutress) that were claiming that the 5.5GHz run that they were doing was with minimal effort on a 16c/32t ES from April, and it was bouncing between 5.2-5.5GHz all core in that benchmark. Thus, it might be safe to say because of this, that there is a possibility of 5.5GHz all core overclocks with proper cooling on certain Zen 4 chips. 🤞