AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 Series - Launching This Fall

LAwLz

Computex 2022 has begun and AMD is making a lot of announcements. The big one that I think people on this forum are most interested in, is the announcement of the next generation desktop processors, Ryzen 7000.

Here are the key highlights for the Ryzen 7000 series:

• New core architecture - Zen 4
    • Twice the L2 cache compared to Zen 3 (1MB per core, compared to 512KB).
    • 5GHz or higher maximum boost clock (depending on processor model). The demo AMD showed on stage was a 16-core processor boosting to 5.5GHz. This might end up being about 10% higher than Zen 3.
    • More than 15% higher single-threaded performance in Cinebench (this includes the gains from the higher clock speed, so IPC gains might be very low).
    • New instructions for accelerating AI-workloads (no details on what this entails yet).
    • Seems like there will be no upgrade to the core count. 16 cores is still the highest end on the mainstream platform.
  • New manufacturing node - An optimized version of TSMC's N5 process node (aka optimized 5nm).
  • New I/O die.
    • New process node for the I/O die. This new one will be built on TSMC's 6nm node, compared to the Zen 3 IO die which was built on GlobalFoundries 12nm node.This should lead to way lower power consumption for the I/O die.
    • RDNA 2 based graphics integrated into the I/O die. This means most, if not all, Ryzen 7000 processors will have an iGPU. This brings AMD more inline with Intel. While most people buying a Ryzen 7000 processor will probably pair it with a discrete graphics card, it is still nice to have in emergency situations.
      • Up to 4 HDMI and DP ports connecting to this RDNA 2 iGPU. Perfect for office machines.
    • Support for new low-power capabilities and power management, which should result in lower idle power consumption.
  • New socket - These new processors will use a new socket, called AM5.
    • The new socket is an LGA socket, with 1718 pins.
    • DDR5 support (DDR4 will NOT be supported, unlike Intel's 12th gen that supports both).
    • Compatible with AM4 coolers.
    • Native support for up to 170 watt processors. This is up from 105 watts on AM4, which suggests these new processors will draw a lot more power. Edit: See @porinas comment. Seems like AMD's slides are wrong/misleading and the actual jump in power might be more along the lines of ~20%, not 70% as this seems to indicate.
  • Support for PCIe 5 (24 lanes "for storage and graphics", which might be compared to the 20 on AM4).
  • Up to 14 USB ports at up to 20Gbps speeds.
  • Support for Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth LE 5.2 (I assume this means there is logics for these standards on the I/O die, making it cheaper to implement on motherboards)
  • New motherboard chipsets
    • B650 - Mainstream chipset with PCIe 5.0 to the M.2 storage, and PCIe 4.0 to the PCIe slots.
    • X670 - Enthusiast chipset with better power delivery as well as PCIe 5.0 support to the primary graphics card slot in addition to 5.0 for one M.2 slot.
    • X670E - For "extreme overclocking". "PCIe 5.0 everywhere"

Since I need a quote, here is a quote from Lisa Su, the CEO of AMD:

processor

-Lisa Su

My thoughts

Sounds pretty good if you ask me. Not much improvement on the core side of things compared to Zen 3, but decent improvements to other stuff, like an iGPU, DDR5 support and PCIe 5.0.

The higher power consumption and seemingly lack of IPC gains are a bit worrying though, but we will get more details at a later date.

Not as big of an upgrade as Zen 2 to Zen 3 was. I am a bit worried that AMD's official numbers only state a 15% single-core performance increase, where about 10% of that seem to come from higher clock speeds. That coupled with the much beefier power delivery seems to indicate that this generation might be less about improving the architecture and more about pushing clocks at the expense of power and heat. I am getting some Intel 11th gen vibes from this.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Intel's 13th gen processors. My guess is that Intel will actually beat AMD in some pretty important areas, but at least this catches up with Intel in terms of PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, which will only be more important as time goes on.

It's so nice to have real competition again. 

Sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17399/amd-ryzen-7000-announced-zen4-pcie5-ddr5-am5-coming-fall

No word on RDNA 3 pretty much affirms that we won't be seeing new AMD gpus till the end of the year, meanwhile nvidia has already been rumored to launch lovelace in just a few months. A bit sad since I'm just looking for a good 1440p high refresh card that'll last in that role for several years. Less options will make way for the 40 series to be unobtainium.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

Wow...

But man, 5.5GHz? Wow. Of course it doesn't translate into anything, but wow.

24 PCIe Gen 5 lanes? Not sure if this includes PCIe downlink to chipset...

Integrated WiFi 6E?

This really blows my mind.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Since I need a quote, here is a quote from Lisa Su, the CEO of AMD:

processors

-Lisa Su

Truly, words to live by.

So apparently, the RDNA2 chip is part of the IO chip? I assume this iGPU will be very lackluster? Or was this the norm for the "G" Ryzen chips?

The ST uplift feels disappointing to me, to be honest. Given the significant clock speed bump, the new architecture and the lithography upgrade, 15% seems... tame. Most of the uplift could be attributed to the clock increase.

• More than 15% higher single-threaded performance (this includes the gains from the higher frequency, so it is not 15% IPC)

I was going to mention that on one of the existing threads. This could imply an IPC uplift in the single digit %, which is not much more than could be expected from the bigger cache. According to Anandtech they used Cinebench to get that figure, which isn't very cache sensitive as far as I can tell in the past.

• New instructions for accelerating AI-workloads (no details on what this entails yet).

Interesting choice of wording. The remaining question is if this is a sign they're doing AVX-512, but the "AI workloads" part of it is only one optional part to AVX-512. I'm personally far more interested if they implement base AVX-512 functionality than the AI stuff. On Rocket Lake, even single unit AVX-512 offers about 40% effective IPC over AVX2 in FP64 intensive workloads that are unsuited to GPUs. 

• All (or most) Ryzen 7000 desktop processors will include an rDNA2 based iGPU. This brings AMD more inline with Intel. While most people buying a Ryzen 7000 processor will probably pair it with a discrete graphics card, it is still nice to have in emergency situations.

Think some are already trying to estimate how much GPU there will be in there, and the short answer is not a lot. That could be like the Intel approach where desktop iGPUs are much weaker than the laptop ones, since desktops can more easily add a dGPU.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

The remaining question is if this is a sign they're doing AVX-512, but the "AI workloads" part of it is only one optional part to AVX-512.

I think AVX-512 is obsolete that Intel begin to ditched it. AVX2 is more likely in my opinion.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:
    • Native support for up to 170 watt processors.

I'm currently watching a replay of Ian Cutress' watch party since I woke up late to see it live. In it he says he had checked before with AMD what that 170W actually was. AMD apparently confirmed to him it was PPT, not TDP. But AMD used TDP in their marketing slide. Some may remember my observations on the misuse of TDP and it seems even AMD can't get it right themselves. (Edit: It was spoken only, slide only says 170W. I'd guess it was probably misspoken during recording and they failed to notice/correct it)

Timestamp included to relevant part.

If we look at existing AMD CPUs, 65W TDP are 88W PPT, and 105W TDP are 142W PPT. Working backwards, this implies the 170W PPT CPUs will be about 125W TDP. The power jump is not as great as it first looks.

24 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

I think AVX-512 is obsolete that Intel begin to ditched it. AVX2 is more likely in my opinion.

Intel haven't ditched it, they only chose to disable it in order to make hybrid CPUs work for the mainstream market. AVX2 doesn't have extensions for "AI". AMD would have to come up with a new standard if they didn't use the existing AVX-512 extension, and increase industry fragmentation which is undesirable. I think they will also have HPC customers who would love AVX-512 in general.

Edit: still on Ian's watch party playback, he said he spoke to AMD on the AI side and the response was words to the effect it is something we already know. VNNI apparently can be implemented separately to AVX-512, so I was incorrect in that part. It is possible they go that route and not offer AVX-512.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

22 minutes ago, porina said:

If we look at existing AMD CPUs, 65W TDP are 88W PPT, and 105W TDP are 142W PPT. Working backwards, this implies the 170W PPT CPUs will be about 125W TDP. The power jump is not as great as it first looks.

It just occurred to me, that - there may be no power jump at all? 105W TDP for the CPU cores alone, and the extra is for the iGPU? Which, if you have a dedicated card, means you'd be topped at 105W like before. 100% guessing, of course.

16 minutes ago, Rauten said:

It just occurred to me, that - there may be no power jump at all? 105W TDP for the CPU cores alone, and the extra is for the iGPU? Which, if you have a dedicated card, means you'd be topped at 105W like before. 100% guessing, of course.

TDP and PPT apply to the socket. If you don't use the iGPU the power allocation can go to other areas.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

5GHz or higher maximum boost clock (depending on processor model). The demo AMD showed on stage was a 16-core processor boosting to 5.5GHz. This might end up being about 10% higher than Zen 3.

The demo on stage was a mixed multi core workload, Zen 3 maximum boost is for single core. 5950X typical gaming is ~4.7GHz and all core boost for blender is ~4Ghz, so it's I think about 15% uplift for similar workload.

Unless of course the demo game is extremely single threaded but I wouldn't realistically assume that.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems like there will be no upgrade to the core count. 16 cores is still the highest end on the mainstream platform.

Well that sucks 😢

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:
  • X670 - Enthusiast chipset with better power delivery as well as PCIe 5.0 support to the primary graphics card slot in addition to 5.0 for one M.2 slot.
  • X670E - For "extreme overclocking". "PCIe 5.0 everywhere"

I'd really like to know a lot more about these, what does this actually mean?!?!?! PCIe switch chips and expander chips? More stuff piped through the chipset?

Why should direct PCIe lanes to the CPU be affected by chipset like this? Shouldn't we just get the choice to spend more on a better X670 board that has full PCIe 5.0 rather than having an extra X670E chipset? Or is X670E "in name only" and it's just a cert spec for boards that are full PCIe 5.0 and it's actually the same chipset?

🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not as big of an upgrade as Zen 2 to Zen 3 was, but still pretty decent. I am a bit worried that AMD's official numbers only state a 15% single-core performance increase, where about 10% of that seem to come from higher clock speeds.

Personally I'm quite disappointed, I was expecting better improvements with the change to TSMC 5nm. Maybe I need to wait for actual reviews and things like game performance has increased much more than indicated here.

Feels like the most effort was put in to the IOD changes to me and not Zen 4 and the 5nm chiplets. Appears to be just a node shrink and a sprinkle of cache and called it a day.

2 hours ago, porina said:

I'm currently watching a replay of Ian Cutress' watch party since I woke up late to see it live. In it he says he had checked before with AMD what that 170W actually was. AMD apparently confirmed to him it was PPT, not TDP.

Nice, since they were talking about socket power I was suspecting it would actually be PPT.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'd really like to know a lot more about these, what does this actually mean?!?!?! PCIe switch chips and expander chips? More stuff piped through the chipset?

I just saw this on the AnAndtech Live Blog thingiemajiggie: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17401/computex-2022-amd-live-blog-keynote-2am-et0600-utc

image.png.618b777fb72ac0c8c49540f5ed11a68d.png

😕

Me no likie. So some X670s will have PCIe5.0 for the GPU, but some won't and will be 4.0? There's going to be a LOT of confused buyers that won't realize they're bought a PCIe4.0 board instead of PCIe5.0.

It should either be "All boards have it" or "no boards have it". This is just confusion for the sake of confusion.

I wonder how many kidneys I'll have to sell if I want a PCIe5.0 GPU enabled board.

Now is this ever disappointing, considering AMD is saying ">15% ST Uplift", it should be between 15~20%, as if it was 21%+ it would probably say so. And that can't even beat Alder Lake ST, on Cinebench ST(the test used by AMD) Alder Lake is ~25% faster when using good DDR5, other ST tasks average is around 19%, so at best it would be similar to Alder Lake on ST tasks.

MT is a bit more interesting, with them showing a 16-core Zen 4 CPU beating the 12900K by 31%, but Blender is a somewhat weird workload on Alder Lake, where it will vary like crazy the result on Alder Lake depending on a lot of factors like RAM speed/latency, the exact benchmark used and more, to the point where some reviewers had the 12900K losing to the 5950X by 20% while others had it ahead even when using low-end DDR5. So the result itself isn't that telling, but hopefully it will be on the good side, otherwise this "7950X" is going to get thrashed by the 13900K.

Gaming might be one of the few things where Zen 4 is actually ahead Alder lake, but I doubt it would be that much ahead, and I don't think it would beat the 5800X3D until a 3D-cache refresh of Zen 4. Efficiency would still be better than Alder Lake, but if they actually increase the PPT to 170W, Raptor lake might take the spot as the most efficient CPU if Intel bothers to optimize it for that.

Zen 4 value might also have issues if the good DDR5 kits prices don't drop by a lot until it gets released, and hopefully B650 won't be that expensive, even though I expect it to be similar at best to B560 boards.

So far very solid on paper. I did expect few things like; iGPU RDNA3 then again if not primarily gaming APU focus but to have something it's ok, USB4 as far as I am aware it is supposed to be supported it was shown before and I don't see 40Gbps, WiFi7 hmm maybe as en extra if not early. 

Getting those clocks higher is neat to see and yeah sure IPC it self, now just to see how much gen-on-gen improvement there is. Another thing I'm curious is 3D cache though, it showed some massive gains. I did potentially expect they'd implement it across the board as they refine it. Maybe again for another 8c SKU I really want to know. It would feel weird if 5800X3D can perform better in some things just due to cache. I guess that one would be my bar to compare once Zen 4 is out.

DDR5 I would hope to see even faster and tighter latency kits by release. PCIe 5.0 yeah we'll see GPUs for it, also SSDs now those will be monsters. Hopefully game devs utilize APIs to leverage the potential.

Chipset approach is interesting though. Not sure what to make of it.

There's more news left as we know, hopefully we get more info about some I/O and 3D cache. But yeah, neat.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Overall I would say this was a pretty weak announcement from AMD, and that things are looking pretty good for Intel.

If the rumors and news about Inte's 13th gen turns out to be true then Intel will most likely lead in single core and multi core performance.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Why should direct PCIe lanes to the CPU be affected by chipset like this? Shouldn't we just get the choice to spend more on a better X670 board that has full PCIe 5.0 rather than having an extra X670E chipset? Or is X670E "in name only" and it's just a cert spec for boards that are full PCIe 5.0 and it's actually the same chipset?

It seems like "X670E" is just a sticker that gets put on a box, and that there is no difference in the actual chipset itself.

Does your X670 board meet certain requirements such as PCIe 5.0 on all PCIe slots? Then it's an X670E board.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

The rumour for X670/E is two chipsets: https://www.techpowerup.com/295095/factory-drawing-of-asus-x670-prime-p-wifi-appears-online

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 hours ago, leadeater said:
6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems like there will be no upgrade to the core count. 16 cores is still the highest end on the mainstream platform.

Well that sucks 😢

yeah, 16 for highest, what? intel be like, yeah we can beat that now. I guess there might be some limits, but dont say they they are going to fall with this launch over intel? (in price and some workloads). LTT with another video calling it winning, not exactly, progress sure, winning is what people did going from ryzen 1 to ryzen 3-5.

WTH only wifi 6E? so intel can get wifi 7?

I'd really like to know a lot more about these, what does this actually mean?!?!?! PCIe 5 switch chips and expander chips? More stuff piped through the chipset?

14 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

when things are going to get borked with a lot of this.

Personally I'm quite disappointed, I was expecting better improvements with the change to TSMC 5nm. Maybe I need to wait for actual reviews and things like game performance has increased much more than indicated here.

its 7nm+++

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Overall I would say this was a pretty weak announcement from AMD, and that things are looking pretty good for Intel.

If the rumors and news about Inte's 13th gen turns out to be true then Intel will most likely lead in single core and multi core performance.

Assuming they keep the current SKUs price and core counts:

With exception of the 12900K, I don't know if Intel even needs Raptor Lake, because the claimed CB R23 ST improvement is lower than ADL, and the MT improvement would at best match Intel. As a (best case) ~30% improvement over Zen 3 in MT(because 5950X=12900K in blender, with the 5950X often being ahead, sometimes by huge margins.) would put a 6-core 7600X at about the same performance as a 12600K and a 8-core 7800X close to a 12700K, the ST performance would be bit lower assuming less than 20% improvement over Zen 3.

If it’s only 16c max for the architectures, what’s that 7950x 24c leak about?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

If it’s only 16c max for the architectures, what’s that 7950x 24c leak about?

No max core count has actually been confirmed.

Media outlets think that the max is 16, but noone is quite sure just yet. AMD hasn't really confirmed nor denied the existence of higher core SKUs, unless I've missed something.

Will you now have to buy a new motherboard+CPU every time you need to upgrade like with Intel?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

10 minutes ago, Rauten said:

No max core count has actually been confirmed.

Media outlets think that the max is 16, but noone is quite sure just yet. AMD hasn't really confirmed nor denied the existence of higher core SKUs, unless I've missed something.

One thing I think is safe to assume, AM5 itself has been designed for and will support more than 16 cores. If that will come with Ryzen 7000 now or later in product cycle I don't know, or in a later generation. Who knows, 16 cores maximum for the life of AM5 is quite unlikely though.

43 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

WTH only wifi 6E? so intel can get wifi 7?

To my understanding 6E is the latest released standard, so AMD can't offer anything newer than that. What exactly did you see Intel say about 7? The standard isn't final yet, so no one can claim to offer it. What many wifi chip producers can do (do Intel still have wifi in house?) is to release hardware expected to be able to meet the final specifications, and they can update firmware to support it when it goes final. The understanding of what will be the final standard can be known in advance and it is extremely unlikely for it to change radically leading up to the final version.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

To my understanding 6E is the latest released standard, so AMD can't offer anything newer than that. What exactly did you see Intel say about 7? The standard isn't final yet, so no one can claim to offer it. What many wifi chip producers can do (do Intel still have wifi in house?)

yeah its not complete but there is some expected stuff at late 2022/2023. if intel comes with anything around that time, but I guess it's still late for that.

the standard might not be final, but we might see some stuff that supports an early version of what wifi 7 would offer.

Qualcomm is trying to get around, and intel is active with their wireless chipsets but unsure about their plans.

Despite the live demo, the company said that its first products with Wi-Fi 7 won't be available until early 2023

https://youtu.be/_Ouk-jx6Mwg

Edited by Quackers101

I was more suprised they put the iGPU in the IO die instead of its own chiplet. That means you can now get a 16 core CPU with an iGPU which is nutty. Always prefered having an iGPU than not having one as it helps massively when issues occur with the main dGPU.