I’m tired of winning (and it's awesome)

AMD’s on a roll, and while Intel has successfully fired back, there’s more on the way. With competition alive and well in the CPU space, it’s time for a PC gaming renaissance not seen since the 2000s.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I'm still waiting to see what Raptorlake brings but I'm definitely ready for the next advancement in CPUs.
I'll probably upgrade my CPU/board and then relegate my old board to becoming a NAS... and my 3900x becomes my mother's CPU and the NAS gets the 1700.

This is part of why I like AMD CPUs... I can horse trade to get the right mix of stuff. I wonder how well the 1700 undervolts... can I use it with 64GB RAM? humm...

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

both AMD and Linus are optimistic if they think manufacturers won't just put a smaller battery on the lower end laptop segments to save 3$ per unit

just bought a 12600k, can AMD go back to making rubbish CPUs so mine will last longer thx

26 minutes ago, CCFC27 said:

just bought a 12600k, can AMD go back to making rubbish CPUs so mine will last longer thx

Gaming wise you’ve got a decent chance of the thing lasting another 5 years, (probably with 1 video card upgrade in there) so it likely doesn’t matter all that much. If LITTLE cores get used by game devs it will have a whole 16 threads for gaming. If they don’t you’re stuck with 12 though.  Might be an issue might not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So... I have a question.

How many devieces we can instal using these 24 PCI lanes?)

We had a discussion with friends and one of them advised:

1 GPU (16)+2xNVME SSD (2x4)

other one says that it should be more...

it might be stupid... but he claims, that with new technology (PCiE 3.0->PCiE 4.0 ->PCiE 5.0) request less lanes for GPUs.

SO if PCie 3.0 you could use all 16 lanes, on PCiE 4.0 without cutting performance 8 lanes will be enough... and for PCiE 5.0 = 4 lanes

Awesome news about the new Ryzen CPUs. Although the shape of their IHS shows you can't put on too much thermal paste anymore, especially when it's conducting, because of those exposed components on the die. And don't they need to be cooled?

About the music used in this video though, why does it need to be so loud? Background music needs to be in the background, but from 3m 33 onwards there's a track with a loud bass and drums that - once you notice it - will be very intrusive. This isn't the first time I've noticed this music choice in LTT videos and it's one of the reasons why I then quit watching such a video. I don't mind music, but then make it a music video, not a tech (news) video. LTT the musical.

20 minutes ago, MaximuT said:

So... I have a question.

How many devieces we can instal using these 24 PCI lanes?)

We had a discussion with friends and one of them advised:

1 GPU (16)+2xNVME SSD (2x4)

other one says that it should be more...

That’s part of what the chipset is for.  16 go to the pcie (so 16x1, 8x2, or 8+4+1x4, or some variation on the previous, as defined by the board manufacturer, though those are the common ones) 4 go to the fast nvme, and 4 go to the chipset which then divvies up the bandwidth to sata, other m.2s, usb, the remaining pcie3, networking, etc..  this is why the main difference between an enterprise and non enterprise chip is not infrequently just the vastly larger number of lanes.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

This is the reason why I haven't built my pc yet (and also I don't have the money to do so)

My attitude seems to jibe with the standard advice:  only build a pc when the one you have doesn’t meet your needs

I like to play single player sandbox rpgs, so while there is some argument for high refresh the argument isn’t as strong as for, say, PvP stuff.  I’m still running through older games that run fine on 8 threads, so I don’t have a need yet.  I do wonder though if by the time I do have one everything will have moved to streaming and thin client stuff though. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

My attitude seems to jibe with the standard advice:  only build a pc when the one you have doesn’t meet your needs

it doesn't, I want ot learn to edit videos, I want to learn to make video games, I want to play games that were released after 2007, but it doesn't, now it can't even run most applications as my old monitor died and the new one is a 4:3

Even with this big upgrade, i am glad i went with a 5950x 3 months ago. i'm sure its all great and all but from a price point of view it was was cheaper to just upgrade mb and cpu and not having to worry about an upgrade to ddr5 aswel.
i'll just wait till 9000 series or maybe even the next one till i upgrade to ddr5. just a shame not alot was said about upcoming gpu's, cause i really want to know if they will support AV1 encoding

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

26 minutes ago, StephanTW said:

Even with this big upgrade, i am glad i went with a 5950x 3 months ago. i'm sure its all great and all but from a price point of view it was was cheaper to just upgrade mb and cpu and not having to worry about an upgrade to ddr5 aswel.
i'll just wait till 9000 series or maybe even the next one till i upgrade to ddr5. just a shame not alot was said about upcoming gpu's, cause i really want to know if they will support AV1 encoding

Yup.  You’ve got enough horsepower to do basically any non industrial stuff until the consoles change at which point of course all bets are off again

I don't get the excitement over the ">15% ST Uplift" in CineBench ST, as that is quite a bit lower than Alder lake ~23% advantage over Zen 3 at that test (LTT CineBench ST seems really low for the 12900K, with it losing to the 12600K and being a lot lower than the average score of other reviews of ~1980 points), which Raptor Lake should increase by a bit. The Blender benchmark albeit interesting, isn't that good of a comparison point as, like can be seen between different reviews, it can vary wildly from the 12900K matching/winning or it losing by over 20%, and that isn't only due to the test time, as GN test, where the 12900K and 5950X basically draw, both took over 9 minutes, which is longer than the Gooseberry test used in LTT review, with both tests using DDR5 5200Mhz CL38. Also that ignores that Zen 4 will be competing against Raptor Lake, which was already shown running 8P+16E-cores, which should make for a significant improvement in heavy MT workloads like Blender.

Overall Zen 4 doesn't seem that great to me, apparently less ST performance than ADL, MT performance seems decent compared to ADL, but kinda uncertain on how much it actually improved and Raptor lake seems to be in a better position, power consumption seemingly trending upwards, which was AMD biggest advantage IMO, and yet another generation where the flagship is seemingly 16-cores, making it the third in a row, 3 years with what seems to be no core count upgrades, unless they increase the core count by one tier while keeping the same price(7600X=8-cores=<$300 and so on).

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I like to play single player sandbox rpgs, so while there is some argument for high refresh the argument isn’t as strong as for, say, PvP stuff.  I’m still running through older games that run fine on 8 threads, so I don’t have a need yet.  I do wonder though if by the time I do have one everything will have moved to streaming and thin client stuff though. 

In my case I've been waiting for the AM5 stuff because my PC is kind of meeting my needs but it's struggling to meet my needs and some stuff I'd like to try is likely not going to be feasible in terms of some virtualization I want to do given that I'm using a 8700k. Though honestly depending on GPU prices when I decide to build my first PC I might just keep my 1070 since I've not really felt bottlenecked by it.

I think that Linus is over-hyping this release (as usual). In reality, you're probably going to only see a 15-20% performance boost in real life applications (ie not Cinebench benchmarks).

It's going to take more than that convince me to throw out my Ryzen 7 3700X, B550 motherboard, and DDR4 memory.

After using Intel PCs as my mains my entire life i wanna enter the Realm of AMD and i don't know if to wait till 6000s come available in Australia or to bite the bullet with a 5000 series now and stop suffering with my poorly i5-2450M /GT540M combo with DDR3. either way the decision is probably already out of my control and entirely up to fate to decide.  

1 hour ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

After using Intel PCs as my mains my entire life i wanna enter the Realm of AMD and i don't know if to wait till 6000s come available in Australia or to bite the bullet with a 5000 series now and stop suffering with my poorly i5-2450M /GT540M combo with DDR3. either way the decision is probably already out of my control and entirely up to fate to decide.  

Depends:  you want cheap or fast?  The 5xxxx (but not the 5xxx3d stuff) is cheap. The zen4 stuff sounds like it will be really fast. The 5xxx CPUs aren’t priced great but the motherboards and memory are cheap.  I strongly suspect that zen4 will NOT be cheap though.  Thing is even the 3xxx stuff was fast enough for gaming though, so there is the potential for really cheap if you want. 

What can I say.  Finally AMD has seen the light and so has the gaming community APU's rule.  They are the way to ensure that your computer will have a basic, or not so basic graphics capability.  Given that NVIDIA has made their GPU's as artificially rare as the NFT's and crypto people process on them, AMD had to step up.  Only they and INTEL CAN.  (True the IGP in the CPU's will not be APU grade just yet ...but it is only a matter of time.) 

My BOMBASTIC PREDICTION.  In 5-10 years GPU's will be as obsolete as sound cards.  They will still exist for people who really want them and who think they can distinguish 24k 3000 hz from 4k 240 or something.   

The hard thing for me now is I just built a computer that would otherwise be a good 2-5 year computer.  Used for work it will have paid for itself by the time these parts are available.  The question is should one upgrade ASAP or wait for the platform to mature...

41 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

My BOMBASTIC PREDICTION.  In 5-10 years GPU's will be as obsolete as sound cards.  They will still exist for people who really want them and who think they can distinguish 24k 3000 hz from 4k 240 or something.

No way this will happen. I wish it would, but it simply won't. Even a mid-tier GPU draws 200 watts or more. Stuffing that much power draw on top of a 100 watt CPU isn't going to get proper cooling.

And sure, maybe the APUs of 5 years from now will be able to run our present games at high resolutions and frame rates, but newer 3D technologies will likely require faster hardware, thus negating any gains in APU performance.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

2 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

Ryzen 5000 series CPUs with VEGA 10 graphics would shred that thing. I would wait for 6000 series, and get a laptop with the Ryzen 9 6800, with the 680M iGPU. That iGPU would again, shred your old pc, allowing you to play modern games better than the Steam Deck can, just for a frame of reference. Obviously such a high end chip will not be cheap, but if it lasts as long as your current laptop did, then it would be well worth it, imo.

In the process of building a friends pc, wouldnt be cool to wait an additional 4 months for am5 parts.

Nah, i'll stick to the X570 and see what cpu he gets.. 2600x or 3600x same price but longer waiting periods for shipping sucks.

Even upgraded my own rig in the end of 2021.. Dont regret it as much tho, will do when am5 comes haha.

Glad their making the coolers (LQ too i hope) compatible 🙂

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

As much as I would have loved to wait until the new AMD 7000s come out to upgrade, PC failure issues made me upgrade to the 5800x this past weekend (And that still did not even fix my issue -_-)

Really exciting stuff coming from both OEMs. I am more partail to AMD, but its nice to see the CPU competition is back. Consumers rejoice!

in the past i made a topic here about why amd wont go lga if they can why wont they? they should if they can. there were some R people amd fanboys who got offended and said a lot sh#t stuff to me in the end AMD went with LGA so up their #ss now.

I feel at peace now. f those fanboys.

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

What can I say.  Finally AMD has seen the light and so has the gaming community APU's rule.  They are the way to ensure that your computer will have a basic, or not so basic graphics capability.  Given that NVIDIA has made their GPU's as artificially rare as the NFT's and crypto people process on them, AMD had to step up.  Only they and INTEL CAN.  (True the IGP in the CPU's will not be APU grade just yet ...but it is only a matter of time.) 

The hard thing for me now is I just built a computer that would otherwise be a good 2-5 year computer.  Used for work it will have paid for itself by the time these parts are available.  The question is should one upgrade ASAP or wait for the platform to mature...

Those will be some big IGPs.  Apple did it but their chips are huge and very expensive. The price of chips would have to come way down for that to be possible.  That is not an impossible thing though.  What I think will change is monitors.  There is 3d light field tech developed but it requires absolutely massive processing power to work at size. The biggest cards today can barely handle it. I think there is room for video cards to get bigger with these new monitors yet.  Also there’s augmented reality stuff. (Not going to use the word metaverse.  It’s too dumb)  That is also different display tech. 

Edited by Bombastinator