Question about SeaGate Barracuda 2TB HDD.

I bought a brand new seagate barracuda hdd, and I've noticed it makes a single beep at startup, and a bit of clicking. I've had PCs with hard drives before, but I've never heard an hdd make a beeping sound before. I've only had it a day, but the few times i powered on the PC with it, the beep is always the same.

So, brand new hdd, I installed it with no issues, and the only notable thing about it during operation is the occasional bit of clicking.

I've looked online, and I found 1 person that says its normal for the motor to start with a beep, and all else I've seen is troubleshooting for beeps and noises during operation, which I don't experience, only the one beep at startup.

I've tried switching the SATA ports on the motherboard, and making sure the power cable is in properly and unobstructed.

My question is: Is it normal for this type of hdd to make a beep at startup?

Any help is appreciated.

Hard to say without a sample, but my Ironwolfs make a clear sound at startup as well to get the heavy spindle moving, totally normal.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

42 minutes ago, duckhunt476 said:

I bought a brand new seagate barracuda hdd, and I've noticed it makes a single beep at startup, and a bit of clicking. I've had PCs with hard drives before, but I've never heard an hdd make a beeping sound before. I've only had it a day, but the few times i powered on the PC with it, the beep is always the same.

So, brand new hdd, I installed it with no issues, and the only notable thing about it during operation is the occasional bit of clicking.

I've looked online, and I found 1 person that says its normal for the motor to start with a beep, and all else I've seen is troubleshooting for beeps and noises during operation, which I don't experience, only the one beep at startup.

I've tried switching the SATA ports on the motherboard, and making sure the power cable is in properly and unobstructed.

My question is: Is it normal for this type of hdd to make a beep at startup?

Any help is appreciated.

I also think it is normal.

19 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Hard to say without a sample, but my Ironwolfs make a clear sound at startup as well to get the heavy spindle moving, totally normal.

wow, did you record the sound of your hard drive or did you find it on the internet? If the former, you should add it to Wikipedia for historical reasons. Unfortunately the hdds are destined to be out of production, like the sata III ssd. Already the samsung 860 pro are no longer in production and I do not think the 870 pro will be produced. While the 870 evo (or qvo) have a ridiculous DWPD for their cost. And the kingston dc500 are too expensive. 😭

14 minutes ago, FUIT1985 said:

did you record the sound of your hard drive or did you find it on the internet?

It's my recording of 2 16TB Ironwolfs in a dual drive external RAID enclosure. They're 9-platter 7200rpm drives hence the whole 10 second spinup that sounds so good.

I've got a very satisfyingly scratchy old 120MB 2.5" drive too:

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

53 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've sampled another problem I've just noticed. i was using the SeaGate tool to check the drive, and it makes repeated audible clicking/scracthing sounds while its being used. I've also been just copying files onto it to check for noise, and it clicks during any time it reads/writes apperantly. 

Sorry I couldnt attach a proper file format, i recorded it with my phone and it saved it in a weird format. Windows Media Player can still play it, so if you do take a listen, I'd love to hear what you think.

Forgot to mention the SeaGate tool came out green.

hdd_noise

i can only say my seagate barracuda 2tb is incredibly loud... even more so since I put it in an external enclosure... but otherwise its pretty solid, id say more solid than internal even.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

but my Ironwolfs make a clear sound at startup as well to get the heavy spindle moving, totally normal.

Are you sure that isnt an IDEXT drive, holy shit that startup sound 😅

here's my seagate,  not at its "best" tbh and no startup sound either : /

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux