Lifted heatsink off old 970 today, and there was what appeared to be a clear liquid on the heat sink and die. Looks like water.

mookie1590

Sisters old pc I built for her from my old stuff has been blue screening lately. Just decided to do a entire clean up, thermal paste re up on everything, etc. Everything looked fine until I got to the gpu, old 970 I bought in 2014ish. 

I have about every year for all our systems, re upped the thermal paste on cpu/gpu. Well this time hers was blue screening. And when I lifted the gpu off, there as thermal paste on the edges, but on the die itself, it looks like there is just "water". I do not know what it is, that is what it looks like. Might do a taste test on it, lmao. 

So I'm asking. What could cause this. It is in a dry location, there is never "water" looking stuff on anything else either. Can certain brands of thermal paste turn to "water" over time? Ive used this exact same brand in all our systems and, none look like this except this one component. 

The liquid does not seem to be conductive either, no ohm measurement. 

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what this is, or if my thermal paste is the issue. Because there was none on the die and explains why it blue screened on us. Thermal paste is TG-7 thermaltake. Dunno if it is aged thermal paste doing this. 

20220522_142006_HDR.jpg

20220522_142131_HDR.jpg

20220522_142106.jpg

Looks like grease mark. From you know the thermal grease that was there. I have seen it countless times before on other devices.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

what thermal paste? i dont see any except on the sides and it doesn't even look like thermal paste...

clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and then repaste with mx4, make sure the whole chip is covered.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity