CPU odd temp behavior

I have a bit of an odd scenario. I have tried to find solutions online but I have not seen any answers for this specific issue I am having. 

I recently changed my build to a new case and everything was working fine, but I realized that I forgot to put thermal paste on the CPU when I switched everything over, so I popped off my AIO and placed some liquid metal onto the CPU. after that, I placed the AIO back on and booted. When I booted, the CPU was at a scorching 95 Celsius. I was really confused so I popped the AIO off once more and wiped away the liquid metal and just used some Corsair thermal paste from best buy. Even after that the CPU is overheating every time I turn on my PC. Really not sure what to do...

-the room my PC is in is cooled

-msi core liquid 240 AIO

-CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Using hw monitor to check temps. 

Boot error occurs sometimes "CPU overheating"

Any ideas?

Is it possible that the pump has died on your AIO? That would explain the TIM not mattering for temps and it always going to 95C. I would also make sure the mounting pressure is sufficient.

Additionally, is your AIO pump plugged into a pump header? Sometimes non-pump headers may not be able to provide enough power for the pump.

@BiotechBen I don't think the pump is the issue because I'm the bios I can see the AIO pump speed "bottom left" and for some reason just sitting in the bios, my cpu creeps up to 80 and then the fans turbo to cool it down to 65 and the cycle happens over and over. Now it's just sitting at a temp of 80. I just changed out my CPU and the new CPU is doing the same thing. 

Obviously something is wrong I cannot figure out what it is for the life of me though lol. 

16532610657338324048369108696242.jpg

20 hours ago, Hammeryamz said:

@BiotechBen I don't think the pump is the issue because I'm the bios I can see the AIO pump speed "bottom left" and for some reason just sitting in the bios, my cpu creeps up to 80 and then the fans turbo to cool it down to 65 and the cycle happens over and over. Now it's just sitting at a temp of 80. I just changed out my CPU and the new CPU is doing the same thing. 

Obviously something is wrong I cannot figure out what it is for the life of me though lol. 

16532610657338324048369108696242.jpg

It could be a matter of fan curves, what is the fan curve in the header that the fans are plugged into. If that header has a hockey stick curve at 80-85C, that could be something to look for and adjust.

Is there a chance that air is trapped on the pump head? Where is your radiator located?

16 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

It could be a matter of fan curves, what is the fan curve in the header that the fans are plugged into. If that header has a hockey stick curve at 80-85C, that could be something to look for and adjust.

16 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

Is there a chance that air is trapped on the pump head? Where is your radiator located?

@BiotechBen - I messed with the fan curve last night but since the CPU keeps heating up so quicklly after boot, the fans are pretty much at a constant full capacity.

@Jorgemeister - That is defeintely a possibility. I have the AIO mounted in a Lian Li 011D case with the valves at the top. Hard to explain but i will send a pic later. I also have another AIO i just bought that i am going to try. Updates to follow. 

Also, thank you both. 

@BiotechBen & @Jorgemeister thank you both for jumping in and providing some help. It seems that it was the AIO the whole time. I am not sure if it was an air bubble or if something else died, but replacing it brought my temps WAY down. Apprecaite the assist bois. 

- In the process i used my thermal throttling CPU to justify a new CPU/Mobo/AIO so my girlfriend wouldnt kick my ass, so its kind of bitter sweet that this happened. 

2 hours ago, Hammeryamz said:

@BiotechBen & @Jorgemeister thank you both for jumping in and providing some help. It seems that it was the AIO the whole time. I am not sure if it was an air bubble or if something else died, but replacing it brought my temps WAY down. Apprecaite the assist bois. 

- In the process i used my thermal throttling CPU to justify a new CPU/Mobo/AIO so my girlfriend wouldnt kick my ass, so its kind of bitter sweet that this happened. 

If you dont mind me asking, what CPU and AiO did you get?

I ask because I have 5800X with coolermaster ML240L v2 and even tho the processor rarely hits 72-75C with games, it reaches constant 92C with Cinebench R23, which seems high AF to me

1 hour ago, Jorgemeister said:

If you dont mind me asking, what CPU and AiO did you get?

I ask because I have 5800X with coolermaster ML240L v2 and even tho the processor rarely hits 72-75C with games, it reaches constant 92C with Cinebench R23, which seems high AF to me

I don't mind at all. 

I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700x to a Ryzen 7 5800x. I went from a Corsair 240mm AIO to the Kraken Z73 RGB (360mm). I ran some tests on it and gamed last night and never went above 87C. That was with me really pushing it though.

I dont play super intensive games, but i ran Halo infinite a bit and it was smooth. Averaging 78C but not reaching out 84C at any point.

With a less intensive game like WC3 (dont laugh), it is not even close to 80s. Sitting at a cool 67-74C in those sorts of games. 

Thanks, I just wanted to compare with my temps.

Have you ran Cinebench R23? thats where I hit 92C, constant. from start to finish.

As for games RDR2 makes it go to 70 to 80, then with lighter games like Rocket League (lol) it stays around 60

6 hours ago, Hammeryamz said:

Glad to hear the temps are fixed! 

43 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Thanks, I just wanted to compare with my temps.

Have you ran Cinebench R23? thats where I hit 92C, constant. from start to finish.

As for games RDR2 makes it go to 70 to 80, then with lighter games like Rocket League (lol) it stays around 60

I have not run cinebench R23 yet, but i will run it later and let you know.