FTW3 3080ti x Corsair RM850x

YungJoestar

My new PSU just got delivered this morning and I read online that this PSU would perfectly suffice for a ftw3 3080ti, but as I was unboxing it this morning I noticed it only came with 2x of the 6+2 pin cables. My question is, because each of the two cables have a split of another 6+2 on each cable. Will this suffice for literally a couple days until a dedicated cable comes in the mail as I need the computer for work. Side note, it's infuriating that they didn't anticipate the new cards on the 2021 PSUs and still elected to only include 2 cables

38 minutes ago, YungJoestar said:

My new PSU just got delivered this morning and I read online that this PSU would perfectly suffice for a ftw3 3080ti, but as I was unboxing it this morning I noticed it only came with 2x of the 6+2 pin cables. My question is, because each of the two cables have a split of another 6+2 on each cable. Will this suffice for literally a couple days until a dedicated cable comes in the mail as I need the computer for work. Side note, it's infuriating that they didn't anticipate the new cards on the 2021 PSUs and still elected to only include 2 cables

If at least one cable has two sets of 6+2 connectors on it it’s possible. The cable you are connecting both sets of connectors will be drawing more power though.  Should work.  People have run 2connector versions of Nvidia systems on one cable with 2 sets of connectors on it and have gotten away with it for a while. I don’t know if the thing will run with one set of connectors actually missing though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If at least one cable has two sets of 6+2 connectors on it it’s possible. The cable you are connecting both sets of connectors will be drawing more power though.  Should work.  People have run 2connector versions of Nvidia systems on one cable with 2 sets of connectors on it and have gotten away with it for a while. I don’t know if the thing will run with one set of connectors actually missing though.

I have two sets of connectors, reach with another 6+2 in a y branch

3 hours ago, YungJoestar said:

I have two sets of connectors, reach with another 6+2 in a y branch

There’s a good chance it will work at least for a while if you use 1 6+2 from one cable and 2 from the other.  That way if there are 2 12v rails you’re powering off both of them.  I doubt there is a third 12v rail so I suspect other than getting another PSU as well that’s all that can be done which I suspect means it’s all that needs to be done.  Decent chance you don’t need that third cable.  Might be worth checking to see if the rails are different wattages in which case the bigger one is going to be the one that uses both pin sets.  If it’s a single 12v rail it doesn’t matter at all.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

according  to this it should come with 3 pcie cables (as you'd expect) 

20220523_035426.thumb.jpg.54b0bc758eae81d473eec0ac3f93cc3f.jpg

check the manual that should have listed the quantity as well.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, YungJoestar said:

Side note, it's infuriating that they didn't anticipate the new cards on the 2021 PSUs and still elected to only include 2 cables

nVidia told Corsair that Ampere should be powered with EPS.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

according  to this it should come with 3 pcie cables (as you'd expect) 

20220523_035426.thumb.jpg.54b0bc758eae81d473eec0ac3f93cc3f.jpg

check the manual that should have listed the quantity as well.

That's the 2018 model. I guess @YungJoestar has the 2021 model that comes with 2 daisy chained cables.

@YungJoestar you're totally fine to connect the PSU to the GPU with one daisy chained and one single cable.

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

you're totally fine to connect the PSU to the GPU with one daisy chained and one single cable.

i think it depends, 2 cables + slot is good for 375w per pcie specifications? 

there are 3080 that use 450w or more. better go with 3 cables imo. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

2 connectors plus slot anyway.  This assumes the power cables are minimum spec though, which isn’t necessarily a bad assumption to make.  For the 2 cable thing to not need a third cable the two daisychained cables would be capable of 350w each.  It depends on how that company did it.  They could have done either. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Each cable with 2 connectors is good for 324w if 16g wires are used to the first connector. Corsair don't save on the cables and use 16g. So 2 cables with 3 connectors are good for almost 500w.

In the meantime, it will work with this configuration. Just do not overclock your GPU, until you got all 3 PCIE cables directly from PSU to the GPU power slots without daisy-chaining any PCIE cable.

image.png.3bfab35a9fd56a9acd9652d49c348ba9.png

On 5/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, --SID-- said:

Each cable with 2 connectors is good for 324w if 16g wires are used to the first connector. Corsair don't save on the cables and use 16g. So 2 cables with 3 connectors are good for almost 500w.

wouldn't 18g be better? just asking cause Im not sure, but i read 18g can have more amps...

But also this is really not info I can rely on, I have PCIE specs to go with, unless there's official info including a guarantee of no changes whatsoever during production that indeed other cables are provided that can use more wattage safely than usual/ie PCIE specs - maybe PSUs get shipped with that info but i don't recall reading anything like that. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

wouldn't 18g be better? just asking cause Im not sure, but i read 18g can have more amps...

But also this is really not info I can rely on, I have PCIE specs to go with, unless there's official info including a guarantee of no changes whatsoever during production that indeed other cables are provided that can use more wattage than usual/ie PCIE specs - maybe PSUs get shipped with that info but i don't recall reading anything like that. 

I think you mean 14g.   The gauge system works in reverse, so higher numbers are thinner.    The problem with thicker wire is there’s more metal so it costs more. 

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

think you mean 14g.   The gauge system works in reverse, so higher numbers are thinner.    The problem with thicker wire is there’s more metal so it costs more. 

yeah, i wasn't sure about that, hence i asked lol.

also yeah thicker is more expensive,  but they also cheap out on an entire cable then! 😅 On the other hand if 2 cables will do, its easier to build, probably... i would still very much prefer none pig tail cables for the cleaner look... also in my case (literally) it was a pain to get those pigtail cables where they actually need to be (the GPU) thanks, Inwin! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity