Need packaging for my older 34" ultrawide alienware monitor

cleric_warlock

In hindsight, I really shouldn't have thrown away the original packaging for my current ultrawide monitor that I bought back in 2019 now that I want to be able to move it from place to place or sell it off to get a better monitor. What should I do to to package it for shipment/sale in the cheapest way possible?

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6600 MT/s, 2 x 16GB, (CL32-39-39-76, 1.40V), CMK32GX5M2X6600C32 for gaming or
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5-6000 MT/s, 2 x 32GB, (CL30-40-40-96, 1.40V), F5-6000J3040G32GX2-RS5K for heavy multitasking
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Haha I'm exactly in the same situation... Thinking of buying a new one then using the new package, but not sure the old one will fit 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 hours ago, cleric_warlock said:

In hindsight, I really shouldn't have thrown away the original packaging for my current ultrawide monitor that I bought back in 2019 now that I want to be able to move it from place to place or sell it off to get a better monitor. What should I do to to package it for shipment/sale in the cheapest way possible?

The two ways I can think of aren’t especially cheap.  One is to find a cardboard box that fits it without it touching anywhere, get a few garbage bags and use a few cans (the number of cans and bags will depend on the amount and shape of the space to be filled) of the slow kind that doesn’t expand as much but expands with a lot less force (it’s sometimes called window and door.  The fast expanding kind is often called 8x or something.  It will blow out the box sides) put the monitor and bags in the box, and  use the foam inside the bags to turn the bags into custom foam supports.  You want to more or less fill all the extra space.  The other is build a wooden box for it with integral supports, which is even more expensive.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Haha I'm exactly in the same situation... Thinking of buying a new one then using the new package, but not sure the old one will fit 🙂

Then you'll run into the same problem a few years down the line.

Get a box that is big enough so the monitor doesn't touch it, thoroghly cusion it so it cannot move around when the box is closed. Then put red "glass" warning tape around it. Then also add an "up" indicator so it doesn't lay on it's face when in transit.

Last but not least, hope that the courier doesn't ignore all the warning labels. Get shipping with insurance high enough so it will cover damage in transit.

Another thing you can do in the future is to mention in your listing that you don't have the packaging anymore and want the seller to pick it up.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.