Source for retro cases

The Jaalbatross

Hey everyone. Trying the hivemind here. I have a PC I've set up for retro gaming that has more or less reached its final form. I've never found a case I like aesthetically more than the one its currently in, but it's getting pretty beat up these days. Does anyone have any good places to check for early 00s PC cases? I've seen exactly one listed in a paper classified of all places in the last 5ish years. (Specifically looking for a black GMC Noblesse SE case, if anyone happens to have one lying around)

Sometimes you can find mid-2000s custom PCs at thrift stores and pawn shops, but like anything else at those places their selection is a roll of the dice.

Recyclers and stores like FreeGeek are usually your best bet outside of eBay and Marketplace/Craigslist/Kijiji/Gumtree.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Newegg has a few retro cases lying around, but most are overpriced. Your best bet is going to be Craigslist, FB Marketplace and OfferUp, and it may not hurt to check local yard sales. You're more likely to find a retro gaming PC inside a case you like than you are to find a case you like by itself.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Scour your local Craigslist, I’m going to go pick this thing up today

A0527927-4125-4A15-B796-340AE0626773.thumb.png.00a7165eab0d55f352b004454bff6ec0.png

and that’s where I’ve seen the most Oldschool cases, they pop up on eBay time to time but cases are an expensive item to ship and require a lot of hassle with packaging, most people don’t bother and attempt to sell them locally instead.

there are people out there dedicated to pulling old cases into circulation, there’s a guy I know of on the thinkpads forum who does it as a hobby when traveling, raiding all the garage sales, resale stores, recycling centers and such wherever he is to gather all the rare and old computer parts (and thinkpads), at which point he sells them for a small amount + shipping costs on the forum

which I’d also probably a pretty good place to look, vintage computer federation forum has their own marketplace section including a lot of Oldschool cases for sale from the 70’s to mid 2000’s

52 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sometimes you can find mid-2000s custom PCs at thrift stores and pawn shops, but like anything else at those places their selection is a roll of the dice.

Recyclers and stores like FreeGeek are usually your best bet outside of eBay and Marketplace/Craigslist/Kijiji/Gumtree.

I would add electronics recycling. Places.  Same problems though.  And of course there’s eBay and Craigslist.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.