TRX40 Error Code 'D0'

scriphy

Hello,

Upgrading my build to threadripper. I have a 3960X inside of a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Mobo. I'm able to power on the system, the water cooling pump runs and the GPU lights and fans spin up, the motherboard has a little 7 segment display that shows a bunch of values and then eventually lands on d0 and stays there, no display to my monitor connected directly to the graphics card. I've tried reseating the CPU as well as double checking the cables but I still get d0. This CPU was a pull from a working build so I'm not sure how it could be the point of failure. I believe the motherboard is brand new as I unpacked it, but the pins in the socket all look angled to me. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the motherboard wasn't actually new and is the problem. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips or any photos of what the pins in this socket should look like for me to compare against? I would upload photos here myself but it is surprisingly hard to get a non blurry shot of something so tiny and close up

TIA

D0 means CPU initialization error. With how finicky the Threadripper mounting system is, I'd suspect that your CPU installation is bad. Reseat the CPu and see if that fixes it. 

If all the pins are at the same angle, it's fine. It will look like this but bigger

Spoiler

LGA 1200 - Wikipedia

Yep, those pins look about right! That makes me feel better that the board didn't arrive damaged. I've tried to reseat the CPU a few times now just to be sure I wasn't tightening it wrong or similar. Each time I'm unmounted my cold plate and re-mounted as well, how bad would it be to power on the system without the cooler just long enough to check the post code before shutting back down? Would be one less variable to have to consider but also I don't want to damage the CPU if they're able to overheat too quickly

Update to this, tried to update the bios by removing the cpu and ram and plugging in a flash drive with the newest bios version. I’m getting power because the gpu light turns gray n and the clear cmos light on the io shield turns on, but other than that nothing happens now. The pump doesn’t run any more and clicking the power button results in nothing. 

I’m guessing something went wrong with the bios update, can anyone walk me through the exact steps to try and flash it again? Does it actually matter to have a usb 2.0 vs 3.0 drive? Folder structure and naming for the files, and then I just click the button for qflash plus? The first time I tried to flash it the qflash plus button light never lit up or blinked like all instructions would say it would, so I assumed that it didn’t find the right file and nothing happened but maybe I was wrong?

TIA