Record 60FPS gameplay while playing at unlocked framerate

Is there any way to record smooth gameplay while running at an unlocked framerate? I tried Shadowplay and OBS but the recordings always stutter slightly unless I lock my game framerate to 60. This makes sense since an unlocked framerate has uneven frame pacing. I tried capping my game framerate at 120FPS since it's exactly double (which it stays locked at) but that still doesn't end up as smooth as locking it to 60. Is there any way to get around this? Would a capture card make a difference? And if so, is there any way to get a capture card to pass through 1440p 240Hz?

Some people have found that disabling and re-enabling the overlay in GeForce Experience can fix it but I've also heard that using G-Sync can cause issues. Do you use G-Sync?

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

31 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Some people have found that disabling and re-enabling the overlay in GeForce Experience can fix it but I've also heard that using G-Sync can cause issues. Do you use G-Sync?

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use G-Sync, I'll try disabling that to test.

Unfortunately disabling G-Sync doesn't make a difference, I only get smooth recordings when I cap the framerate at 60.