Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

need help putting windows on laptop

mexxxx
 Share

I'm upgrading from a hard drive to an ssd for my laptop, the ssd is blank and I want to try and get windows on it. I don't have any usb drives or dvds so I can't just do the regular windows setup. I have my desktop pc too. And I have a sata to usb port so I can use the ssd and put things on it using my desktop.

 

How would I be able to get windows on the laptop without a usb drive but still having the ssd that I can put onto my desktop to put files on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mexxxx said:

I'm upgrading from a hard drive to an ssd for my laptop, the ssd is blank and I want to try and get windows on it. I don't have any usb drives or dvds so I can't just do the regular windows setup. I have my desktop pc too. And I have a sata to usb port so I can use the ssd and put things on it using my desktop.

 

How would I be able to get windows on the laptop without a usb drive but still having the ssd that I can put onto my desktop to put files on?

You can clone the data from the HDD to the SSD using Macrium Reflect, or use the Windows Media creation tool if you want to start fresh on the SSD, and then transfer the files you want onto the SSD from the HDD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

You can clone the data from the HDD to the SSD using Macrium Reflect, or use the Windows Media creation tool if you want to start fresh on the SSD, and then transfer the files you want onto the SSD from the HDD.

i tried it didnt work, turned on and off legacy boot and stuff, hp laptop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, mexxxx said:

i tried it didnt work, turned on and off legacy boot and stuff, hp laptop

Which model? I did that with my old pavilion as it was dying and used a USB to SATA adapter and it worked flawlessly once I actually read the directions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Which model? I did that with my old pavilion as it was dying and used a USB to SATA adapter and it worked flawlessly once I actually read the directions.

fuck idk all i know is that it has i5 7th gen and 8gb ram and came with a 1tb hard drive

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, mexxxx said:

fuck idk all i know is that it has i5 7th gen and 8gb ram and came with a 1tb hard drive

 

I'm guessing it's probably a Pavilion(their most popular model). so you mentioned you have a desktop, plug both drives into the desktop if you can, and try doing the Macrium Reflect there, and I will say: rtfm, I didn't and got super frustrated and confused until I did, and then a program like AOMEI for moving partitions around is also very helpful as Windows puts the recovery partition at the "end" of the drive because windows still assumes that it is being installed on a Hard Drive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I'm guessing it's probably a Pavilion(their most popular model). so you mentioned you have a desktop, plug both drives into the desktop if you can, and try doing the Macrium Reflect there, and I will say: rtfm, I didn't and got super frustrated and confused until I did, and then a program like AOMEI for moving partitions around is also very helpful as Windows puts the recovery partition at the "end" of the drive because windows still assumes that it is being installed on a Hard Drive.

yeah i did that already with macrium reflect and it didnt work

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the issue that you ran into? Might be able to help if I know what the problem is, I worked through many many problems with the program (mostly caused by user error 😛 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

What was the issue that you ran into? Might be able to help if I know what the problem is, I worked through many many problems with the program (mostly caused by user error 😛 )

nevermind i ended up figuring it out myself

thanks for helping though

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mexxxx said:

nevermind i ended up figuring it out myself

thanks for helping though

 

Glad to hear 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×