if i'm going to use Linux on a laptop, should i grab a Nvidia GPU or go with AMD Instead?

Title has all it needs to say, I don't Know if I should get Nvidia now they are Semi open source and wait till its released or if I should just jump it and go all AMD. I haven't had an AMD computer myself and am looking to give it a try so I'm going to get a Ryzen Laptop Regardless of GPU. i might not even really need to have a GPU at all and just get only a Ryzen with a sweet iGPU instead. heard they're the best out there.

If you're going Linux, unless you have a need for NVENC, CUDA, or any other specific Nvidia technologies that are usable on Linux, AMD is likely your better bet. Their GPU drivers are a bit better than their Nvidia counterparts. No clue if that's changed since the open sourcing, but odds are Nvidia just open sourced the drivers they already had on hand so they'll be just as mediocre as they were before. 

What are you doing with this system anyway? The APUs are good and all, but for the most part it's usually the same price to get a faster CPU (the APUs have limited cache amounts so their CPU performance does suffer quite a bit) and a cheap GPU instead that'll perform the same as the iGPU.

EDIT: missed the part where this is on a laptop. Ignore the second bullet point, it doesn't really apply to laptops

Edited by RONOTHAN##

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're going Linux, unless you have a need for NVENC, CUDA, or any other specific Nvidia technologies that are usable on Linux, AMD is likely your better bet. Their GPU drivers are a bit better than their Nvidia counterparts. No clue if that's changed since the open sourcing, but odds are Nvidia just open sourced the drivers they already had on hand so they'll be just as mediocre as they were before. 

What are you doing with this system anyway? The APUs are good and all, but for the most part it's usually the same price to get a faster CPU (the APUs have limited cache amounts so their CPU performance does suffer quite a bit) and a cheap GPU instead that'll perform the same as the iGPU. 

i don't have many games and they all don't need super fast or expensive hardware to run, games like GTA V will run perfectly fine around 720P on an APU from what i've seen.(GTA V is probably the most intensive thing i'll be running for a while. mainly cause i'm too poor to be buying games on steam regularly. so i miss out on all the sales.) and as far as the Open sourcing has gotten, its just so far waiting to happen from what i can figure out. i don't know if i should get Nvidia then wait for it to be open sourced or not. ability to do a little streaming would be cool but i don't need it. not yet anyways

32 minutes ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

ability to do a little streaming would be cool but i don't need it. not yet anyways

AMD GPUs also come with hardware encoding. It tends to be less powerful than Nvidia and Intel GPU encoding, but it's definitely capable of decent recording and streaming. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Just now, LloydLynx said:

AMD GPUs also come with hardware encoding. It tends to be less powerful than Nvidia and Intel GPU encoding, but it's definitely capable of decent recording and streaming. 

recording clips on Emulators/Games is something i forgot to add. i'd absolutely need that. my current 10 YO laptop cant handle that. with OBS at least