Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Laptop for Photography?

I have been looking for about a year but I am having trouble finding a laptop that really fits my needs. 

 

Needs

  • A built in card reader.
  • i7 or AMD equivalent
  • At least 2 USB ports. 3 would be ideal
  • Sometype of on-board GPU

I don't want a Chrome Book or Mac book. This is only going to be for editing photos and some light video editing. Almost all the laptops I look at with a good CPU also have high end graphics to go with and are expensive. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I used a Asus Zenbook Duo (Non-pro) for mobile editing in my professional workflow. I found that photo and video editing did not use the GPU as much as I would have expected so I'd recommend going the Thin and light direction unless if you are also planning on gaming. 

 

Some good baseline laptops to look into are the Dell XPS range or LG Gram range or the HP Spectres

 

By USB ports do you mean USB C or A

What's your budget and country?

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

 

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, another random person said:

Personally, I used a Asus Zenbook Duo (Non-pro) for mobile editing in my professional workflow. I found that photo and video editing did not use the GPU as much as I would have expected so I'd recommend going the Thin and light direction unless if you are also planning on gaming. 

 

Some good baseline laptops to look into are the Dell XPS range or LG Gram range or the HP Spectres

 

By USB ports do you mean USB C or A

What's your budget and country?

Type A. I live in America. I don't want to spend over $2,000. My ideal price is between $1k-$1.5k 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DakotaDidYou said:

I have been looking for about a year but I am having trouble finding a laptop that really fits my needs. 

 

Needs

  • A built in card reader.
  • i7 or AMD equivalent
  • At least 2 USB ports. 3 would be ideal
  • Sometype of on-board GPU

I don't want a Chrome Book or Mac book. This is only going to be for editing photos and some light video editing. Almost all the laptops I look at with a good CPU also have high end graphics to go with and are expensive. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Honestly there's not a huge difference between i5's and i7's in the laptop market, they're all power limited anyways. So if you're finding i5 powered laptops that meet your needs otherwise, I would definitely consider it an option.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Fedora 35 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DakotaDidYou said:

Type A. I live in America. I don't want to spend over $2,000. My ideal price is between $1k-$1.5k 

Not many modern thin and light laptops have USB A ports let alone 2-3 of them. You may have to start looking into devices for enterprise.
One example is the Lenovo Thinkpad T14, another would be the "New" Inspiron 14 as inbetweens.

 

The only laptop I can find which would fit your requirements is the Dell Latitude 3520, though it is a fully enterprise level device so it does not look as nice as the consumer models and is a little thicker. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

 

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

Not many modern thin and light laptops have USB A ports let alone 2-3 of them. You may have to start looking into devices for enterprise.
One example is the Lenovo Thinkpad T14, another would be the "New" Inspiron 14 as inbetweens.

 

The only laptop I can find which would fit your requirements is the Dell Latitude 3520, though it is a fully enterprise level device so it does not look as nice as the consumer models and is a little thicker. 

The USB ports are easily dealt with by a USB-C dongle/dock. There's affordable ones on the market that will provide 3 type-A's, along with other connections.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Fedora 35 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it answers your question, but it is worth mentioning;  the speed of your file transfers is far more limited by the speed of you camera's storage media.  No matter how fast the port on the laptop, a crappy budget SD card is going to crawl along.  I have the Lexar Professional 633x.  It is really great.

I'm very generous with the likes I give out on here; you should be, too.

 

I never believed in orthopedic inserts, but then I got a pair.  Now, I stand corrected. 

 

My friend gave me his Epi-pen as he was dying.  It seemed very important to him that I have it.

 

Why do cows wear bells?

Because their horns don't work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just putting this out there since you said you're using it for photo editing... make sure the display is up to snuff and not garbage tier like in most entry level gaming machines (since it seems like you're wanting some sort of dedicated GPU). 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.51 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC | 24GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Green 1.5TB | ASUS Xonar DG | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5  | ASUS ProArt PA238QR

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 15.4.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 15.4.1) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

For editing photos, what you need is good display. I don't see a photographer purchasing anything other than the 14" or 16" M1 MacBook Pros. If those aren't in your budget, the 13" has a good display, but it lacks ports. 

 

Is there any particular reason you don't want a Mac? The new models were almost made specifically for your use cases.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.048dae21b8665feddb42db4665875f07.png

 

pros : slim huge (16inch) OLED screen, tall (16:10) more space to edit.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just putting this out there since you said you're using it for photo editing... make sure the display is up to snuff and not garbage tier like in most entry level gaming machines (since it seems like you're wanting some sort of dedicated GPU). 

What types of displays are good?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

OLED

 

17 hours ago, DakotaDidYou said:

What types of displays are good?

 

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

 

 

Unless something has changed recently with Samsung panels, I would really steer clear of OLED for color accuracy. They look great on paper but perform terribly in practice.

 

Uniformity, especially at lower levels of gray/black, is really really bad and you can’t keep them calibrated for more than a week due to the nature of OLED’s uneven RGB degradation.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×