Replaced cooler but still up to 90 degrees! when playing games

Yundaz

Hi there I really hope somebody can help me,

Just replaced my 5 year old H100 liquid cooler from corsair with the much praised Arctic liquid freezer 360 II.

I did this because I was getting around 95 degrees celcius with the corsair while gaming, so I thought this is way too hot and I need a new cooling unit.

After looking into some statistics my new cooling unit should do around  50-65 under full load depending on the system and cpu.

With my computer I am getting 65 degrees celcius when doing nothing! idle state..?

Even with my new cooling unit I am getting temps of 80-85 degrees when playing games, doesnt seem like this better bigger liquid cooler did a lot to my problem.

But I have a feeling its not because of the cooling unit, could it be that my cpu needs replacement?

What else can I do here?

Things I have tried:

- Clean computer from dust

- Cleaned and replaced thermal paste.

- Check if fans are positioned correctly and working

- Checked if changing fan curves changes anything

- Moved my computer to a more open space from the wall

Specs:

cpu: i7 5930k

cooler: Arctic liquid freezer 360 II

Motherboard: X99 Deluxe

Gpu: Nvidia 2080 TI

Hope you can help,

Tony

10-15° cooler under LOAD 🤔. What are your IDLE temps now?

Consider what else can be done in terms of AIO placement & fan orientation.

What case do you have? Got any photos of the internals?

Check that the pump is actually pumping the water around the system to be cooled in the radiator.

Did you actually put thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu?  It only makes 1-2 degrees difference but mentioning it either way.

double check the manual / documentation and see if you mounted it properly, if there's good contact with the cpu.

Can you tell us what you got on your CPU voltage and clocks wise?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

10-15° cooler 🤔.

Consider what else can be done in terms of AIO placement & fan orientation.

What case do you have? Got any photos of the internals?

Sure thing, I even leave my case open like this to get rid of the heat because the whole system gets really hot.
The case is a full tower corsair white 780Tull tower corsair.

index.jpg

index2.jpg

1 hour ago, Yundaz said:

Sure thing, I even leave my case open like this to get rid of the heat because the whole system gets really hot.

index.jpg

index2.jpg

I know it wont probably look as good but changing your AIO fans to be intake rather than exhaust will definitly help as they will draw in "cold" (relativly speaking) air from outside, rather than drawing in the hot air from inside the case.

Also I would recomend (if you change the AIO from exhaust to intake to add a rear fan to the case, this will help with overall airflow. If you are able to remove one of the HDD bays (the top one infront of the top from fan) and move your HDD to the one of the bottom bays that will also help with airflow. 

Im assuming your case doesn't have good cable management but tying them in a bungch with cable ties so they are all in one bunch will help with ariflow as it will remove restrictions. 

When I put an AIO into my dad's computer I wasn't paying any attention and completely forgot to remove the protective sticker off the block. At idle the temps were good but under load it was over 90 degrees. It was a cooler master 120mm AIO.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RX 570 4gb

RAM: 24gb of cruical and Adata mix

The rest is trash

2 hours ago, Levent said:

Can you tell us what you got on your CPU voltage and clocks wise?

Do you have enough information with this?

HWMonitor_Dvu9lcWHWV.png

3 hours ago, Yundaz said:

index.jpg

index2.jpg

Do you have two GPUs there? When under LOAD, can you feel any hot air being pushed out the rear of the case? If there's not much, then as @Lucas_AndosAU said, put a rear exhaust fan there to encourage airflow from front to back because right now, your GPU/s exhaust air may be rising & impacting your AIO efficiency +  Moving those HDD also needs to happen to reduce the blocking of those front fans, as they're your main source of cool air that isn't impacted by an AIO's heat.

Get rid of any components that aren't needed.

Did you take the plastic off the cold plate? Is it mounted correctly with the correct hardware kit?

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

Did you take the plastic off the cold plate? Is it mounted correctly with the correct hardware kit?

Yes I am certain I took that off 🙂

12 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Do you have two GPUs there? When under LOAD, can you feel any hot air being pushed out the rear of the case? If there's not much, then as @Lucas_AndosAU said, put a rear exhaust fan there to encourage airflow from front to back because right now, your GPU/s exhaust air may be rising & impacting your AIO efficiency +  Moving those HDD also needs to happen to reduce the blocking of those front fans, as they're your main source of cool air that isn't impacted by an AIO's heat.

Get rid of any components that aren't needed.

I am a 3D designer and I use multiple GPU's for rendering my projects thus I have two different gpu's to do so. When I am not rendering the 980 ti is doing nothing so I only have my 2080 ti running.

I have installed a new rear fan today and the temperatures have not dropped a lot... I am very confused at what is going on here as my case is completely open, Fans running at 100% and I am still getting around 80-85 degrees celcius when under load.

I have also resetted my bios completely just to make sure nothing was wrong there, The irony in all of this is I started this journey to be able to overclock my CPU but it looks like with these temperaturs I wont even be able to do so.

i have the same cpu. and i get better temps with a 240 and a heavy oc  😞 

things i would do is to take the rad out of the case and just run it standing up next to the pc.

checking with a screw driver that all the screws are tight. 

connecting the pump to 12v

a pic of the volts to the cores would be nice 

How many watts is the CPU using under load when the temps peak?

On 5/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, Bitter said:

How many watts is the CPU using under load when the temps peak?

How can I check the watts, do you have enough information with this? @NorKris@Bitter ?

image.png

It doesn't matter what the wattage is, if its stock it should cool it. Doesn't look like there is much airflow with that case, so exhausting through your AIO is probably not the best plan. I would set it up for intake. How is your paste job? Nice and thin, or thick like peanut butter? Thin is good. Too thin is bad, just like too thick is bad. Quiet systems are nice and tolerable, but quiet means not much air is moving, maybe move a little more if you can tolerate it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

43 minutes ago, Yundaz said:

How can I check the watts, do you have enough information with this?

image.png

you can see the watts there, but prob not under load

4 hours ago, Yundaz said:

How can I check the watts, do you have enough information with this? @NorKris@Bitter ?

image.png

Package power is what you want to look for under load when it's getting too hot, run prime95 torture test small fft and watch package power and if possible screenshot that to post.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Package power is what you want to look for under load when it's getting too hot, run prime95 torture test small fft and watch package power and if possible screenshot that to post.

Here is a screenshot when running the small fft - prime torture test

image.png.30a822ffff4ee840e76d1a92f7469797.png

75C at 140W with 3.5Ghz on all cores looks pretty good to me. Do temps lower if you set fans and pump speeds to maximum?