Options for packaging Python software

Arnolxu

I'm making a simple programming language in Python, and I want to make it installable without cloning the repository, running Makefile etc. The first option that comes to mind is PIP, but I'm sure it would be weird to distribute a programming language with another programming language's package manager. I thinked about packaging it for Linux distros' package managers, but there are too many distros with different package manager. Then, I noticed that I could just create a binary with PyInstaller and put it to GitHub Releases page. But, I don't know if it's a good way to do it. Quote from PyInstaller Manual:

PyInstaller bundles a Python application and all its dependencies into a single package.

I think this would be too much bloat for a simple application. Are there any other options for packaging Python software?

You said yourself this is a "simple" programming language, why worry about whether it would be "weird" to use the python package manager? In fact, if it's just a hobby project I wouldn't worry at all about requiring people to clone it from github if they want to try it. I'd assume anyone interested in this sort of thing would be at least passingly familiar with the workings of git and makefiles.

11 minutes ago, Arnolxu said:

Are there any other options for packaging Python software?

I wish, but sadly no as far as I know. Pyinstaller isn't the only tool that does this but the alternatives still do pretty much the same thing, meaning the bundle the interpreter and the app's dependencies in the installer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You said yourself this is a "simple" programming language, why worry about whether it would be "weird" to use the python package manager? In fact, if it's just a hobby project I wouldn't worry at all about requiring people to clone it from github if they want to try it. I'd assume anyone interested in this sort of thing would be at least passingly familiar with the workings of git and makefiles.

I wish, but sadly no as far as I know. Pyinstaller isn't the only tool that does this but the alternatives still do pretty much the same thing, meaning the bundle the interpreter and the app's dependencies in the installer.

I wanted it to look like a big project, then I guess I'll just create a binary with PyInstaller. Thanks for help.

Just do universal windows apps and publish on windows store if you want the regular people to easily install your apps.

on Linux, it is whatever really. There are so many ways to install packages. You can make installing as simple as moving the script to the /opt dir or as complicated as you want with the auto tools.

Sudo make me a sandwich聽

• 3 weeks later...