Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Build for "future proofing" - Beginner build

Budget (including currency):  $3.5k

Country: United States

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly using for single-player gaming. A bit of emulation and photo/video editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Any kind of guidance/feedback would be appreciated. Wanted to go all-out with performance and future proof it for at least next 5 years.

I'm also considering planning on buying another higher refresh rate 1080p IPS monitor. But I have this LG 34" 21:9 monitor, which is plenty for now.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3080ti is a bit of a joke for 1080p monitors. Could also be a bit bad time to buy new very expensive gpu:s as 4000-series comes out soon and those are supposed to be a lot faster.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($302.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ GameStop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  (Purchased For $1500.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($30.88 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34WK650-W 34.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Gigabyte ‎M28U 28.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3269.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-21 16:35 EDT-0400

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

3080ti is a bit of a joke for 1080p monitors. Could also be a bit bad time to buy new very expensive gpu:s as 4000-series comes out soon and those are supposed to be a lot faster.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($302.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ GameStop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  (Purchased For $1500.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($30.88 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34WK650-W 34.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Gigabyte ‎M28U 28.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3269.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-21 16:35 EDT-0400

Yeah. But the thing is I already got 3080ti. And I'm not planning on getting 4000-series or wait until Zen4 drops. But thanks for the reccomendations though. Will compare and make my decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

For gaming and most content creation tasks the i9-12900K outperforms the 5950X.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($598.98 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($271.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($264.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  ($1299.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.89 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2973.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-21 17:06 EDT-0400

 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brob said:

For gaming and most content creation tasks the i9-12900K outperforms the 5950X.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($598.98 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($271.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($264.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  ($1299.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.89 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2973.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-21 17:06 EDT-0400

 

That is poor value for money though. A 12700F, MSI B660M-A, 32GB DDR4 and a Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B will do the same thing for $600+ less.

Winter is Coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lee32uk said:

That is poor value for money though. A 12700F, MSI B660M-A, 32GB DDR4 and a Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B will do the same thing for $600+ less.

 

No argument about the cost. What you suggest does not satisfy the stated goals of the OP.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright. I did some more homework and decided to change to Intel. Beefed up the storage too. Here it is:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB 66.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.54 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  (Purchased For $1500.00) 
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($29.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 34WK650-W 34.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $3094.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-22 00:26 EDT-0400

 

Is it good idea to buy extra fans? From what I understand:

  • The tower comes with two extra fans (I think)
  • The three F12 fans would go in the front and the A14 will be on the back (not sure if it makes them too noisy, the reviews seems to be a mixed bag)

Again to reiterate, I'm aiming to do 80% single player gaming and emulating old PlayStation games.And the other 20% video editing (which I think would be rarely). I would later think of upgrading the monitor to something better but for now I'm fine with the one that I already have. 

 

Thanks @brob@Jeppes@Somerandomtechyboi for sharing your suggestion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, brob said:

 

No argument about the cost. What you suggest does not satisfy the stated goals of the OP.

In what way ?

Winter is Coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hmmo_O said:

Alright. I did some more homework and decided to change to Intel. Beefed up the storage too. Here it is:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($376.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB 66.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.54 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  (Purchased For $1500.00) 
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($29.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($27.95 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 34WK650-W 34.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $3094.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-22 00:26 EDT-0400

 

Is it good idea to buy extra fans? From what I understand:

  • The tower comes with two extra fans (I think)
  • The three F12 fans would go in the front and the A14 will be on the back (not sure if it makes them too noisy, the reviews seems to be a mixed bag)

Again to reiterate, I'm aiming to do 80% single player gaming and emulating old PlayStation games.And the other 20% video editing (which I think would be rarely). I would later think of upgrading the monitor to something better but for now I'm fine with the one that I already have. 

 

Thanks @brob@Jeppes@Somerandomtechyboi for sharing your suggestion. 

At least buy Noctua a12 or Phanteks t30 fans if you plan to spend that much on fans. Those f12/a14 are at best equal to arctic p12/p14 and cost 5x the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×