5m long HDMi 1.4 cable for 3 euros,u serious!?

frozensun

Hi guys.

I went to local store and needed new HDMI cable..

I was surprised when I saw the price.

It even has gold plated contacts,looks thick which is good.

In some EU country I'd probably pay 20 euros and more for it.

Though I don't see who made the cable,just Made is China (as usual).

I can take pictures and post here.

Share your opinions...

I don't think I have courage to use it, but I did purhase 3 of them.

I usually buy cables from other store which sells some Gembird cables under brand Cablexpert but they are expensive as hell.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

The video is a waste of time.

He did not tell me nothing that I would not know so far.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

The video is a waste of time.

Oookay then.

32 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Let me clarify some things for you:

1 - Gold plated contacts does not equal quality. Method one for snake oil peddlers to make you think you have a quality product.

2 - Thick insulation does not equal quality. Method two for snake oil peddlers to make you think you have a quality product.

3 - That price = junk cable.

4 - Made in China does not mean much. The QA done by the company that ordered this cable from the manufacturer means more, they could be one and the same. At €3 I am willing to bet the QA is pretty lax.

If you know it all why even bother making a fuss about it? I personally bought and used cheapest HDMI cables I could find all my life, never had any issues but I also rarely use cables longer than 3 meters and with anything higher than 1080p 60hz on HDMI so quality and the actual wiring did not matter.

30 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Lol...

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@Leventdid Linus told you smth you did not know before...it's like buying graphics card,testing 100 of them,few will fail on Furmark...

@Leventdid Linus told you smth you did not know before...it's like buying graphics card,testing 100 of them,few will fail on Furmark...

Yes and I actually say that with confidence. I can even link you the video.

I did not know how to take a screenshot in mac before watching this video because I never had a Mac before or dealt with one for longer than 20 minutes.

And this is relevant how?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

25 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yes and I actually say that with confidence. I can even link you the video.

I did not know how to take a screenshot in mac before watching this video because I never had a Mac before or dealt with one for longer than 20 minutes.

And this is relevant how?

If Mr.Linus didn't tell me that HDMI cables fail I would not know. 😁

If Mr.Linus didn't tell me that HDMI cables fail I would not know. 😁

Did you even watch the video? Cables didnt fail (atleast not all) they failed to meet the specs they claimed. Just because they failed their specs doesnt mean they dont work. Get off your high horse.

It may work, it may not completely. As usual with HDMI cables: versions don't exist, look for the proper certification logo if you're after certain requirements. Anything else is not promised to work properly.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

It is an ancient HDMI 1.4 cable, so only 4k30hz, so the price sounds right.

The 10€ cables usually can also do HDMI 2.0, so 4k60hz, and the "really expensive" 20€ HDMI 2.1 cables should be able to do 4k120hz.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

It is an ancient HDMI 1.4 cable, so only 4k30hz, so the price sounds right.

The 10€ cables usually can also do HDMI 2.0, so 4k60hz, and the "really expensive" 20€ HDMI 2.1 cables should be able to do 4k120hz.

Our local cable TV offers only 720p channels so...Idf care about 4K...I needed cable just to get a picture on 14 y old PC 😅

Our local cable TV offers only 720p channels so...Idf care about 4K...I needed cable just to get a picture on 14 y old PC 😅

Yeah, and for 5€ it will probably work fine for really long time. I have like 5€ hdmi 1.4 cables lying around which still work fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

'Gold Plated'......lol

Still looking for the RFC spec on that.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, Pandur said:

2 - Thick insulation does not equal quality. Method two for snake oil peddlers to make you think you have a quality product.

This one is so true.

I bought some alligator clips jumper cables that claimed to be AWG 20 and were thick enough to qualify as much... Turns out they were AWG 28 with a thick sleeve on them. Found out when testing for resistance and saw that in a mere 1 foot of cable there was 12ohm of resistance, so I cut one to see what was up. It's just one way for scammers to get away with this stuff.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 hours ago, tikker said:

It may work, it may not completely. As usual with HDMI cables: versions don't exist, look for the proper certification logo if you're after certain requirements. Anything else is not promised to work properly.

If bought from random store and with cheap price, I would argue that looking at logos is pointless. Logos are easy to forge. You'd need to have actual reliable supply chain which makes sure QA is met at every step for any certification logo to hold value.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Guys, I just need dumb picture from this cable not 200 + fps 😄

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

omg!! you got such a great cable! I am so jealous of you and so impressed you managed to find such good deal in your country that is so difficult to find quality components.......is probably what you wanted to hear.

In my opinion, at the point that you bought 3 cables that you "dont have the courage to use" , is money that could have been saved to buy something that would have actually been useful.

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

omg!! you got such a great cable! I am so jealous of you and so impressed you managed to find such good deal in your country that is so difficult to find quality components.......is probably what you wanted to hear.

In my opinion, at the point that you bought 3 cables that you "dont have the courage to use" , is money that could have been saved to buy something that would have actually been useful.

Yep,drugs maybe?Or pack of cigs?

Yep,drugs maybe?Or pack of cigs?

Drugs to treat BPD, perhaps. I do not recommend cigarettes.

44 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

If bought from random store and with cheap price, I would argue that looking at logos is pointless. Logos are easy to forge. You'd need to have actual reliable supply chain which makes sure QA is met at every step for any certification logo to hold value.

True. You can't trust the "HDMI 1.4/2.0 cable" description either though, because HDMI does not define such a cable, in which case essentially  we have no means to ever know if a product is truly is what it says. The "passed QA" label can probably be forged as well, so at what point do we stop or start trusting any assurance or certification?

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

It's €3, so if simple picture is all that's needed I would just try it out and see how far it takes you.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

46 minutes ago, tikker said:

True. You can't trust the "HDMI 1.4/2.0 cable" description either though, because HDMI does not define such a cable, in which case essentially  we have no means to ever know if a product is truly is what it says. The "passed QA" label can probably be forged as well, so at what point do we stop or start trusting any assurance or certification?

Maybe sadly, but trusting governments agencies. At least for imports, tests are done frequently for wide variety of stuff. But since thats not globally organized thing, and same bad cable can be sold with 100 different brands, plus all good stuff coming from same factory that sells the bad ones, seems like only way is to buy testing equipment and do your own testing. Which is only really profitable or reasonable for someone who would save money by doing that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

37 minutes ago, Caroline said:

That's not actual gold and just because it "looks thick" doesn't means it's actually good, the thickness is usually due to the insulation and not the inner wires.

cigs are drugs, just legal :old-laugh:

but what do I know, I still use twin lead with a 75Ω balun plug to connect my TV, HDMI is still light years away from me darling

Me still have cable TV with 720p channels...talk about HDMI 2.1..what is that?

Gold plated contacts CAN be good (just don't mix with tin). Gold plated connectors is meaningless since there's no signal carried on the connector itself.

Insulation CAN help, though QA and having better wires matters more.

Also HDMI 1.4 is relatively easy to make. It only needs to transmit 10.2Gbps, compared to 48Gbps for HDMI 2.1.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

11 hours ago, cmndr said:

Gold plated contacts CAN be good (just don't mix with tin). Gold plated connectors is meaningless since there's no signal carried on the connector itself.

Insulation CAN help, though QA and having better wires matters more.

Also HDMI 1.4 is relatively easy to make. It only needs to transmit 10.2Gbps, compared to 48Gbps for HDMI 2.1.

Okay thx.

I don't think I will ever need HDMi 2.1 cable.