Graphyne created for first time.

jos

Scientists was able to create previously hypothesized wonder material, Grphyne for the first time. 

Quotes

This research, announced last week in Nature Synthesis, fills a longstanding gap in carbon material science, potentially opening brand-new possibilities for electronics, optics and semiconducting material research.

"The whole audience, the whole field, is really excited that this long-standing problem, or this imaginary material, is finally getting realized,"

I hope we can see significant innovation using this, just when silicon is reaching its limit.

For better understanding of graphyne and how it is different from graphene watch the video below.

The article below shows how graphyne is good for electronics.

https://www.azom.com/amp/article.aspx?ArticleID=15656

Sources

https://phys.org/news/2022-05-long-hypothesized-material.html

Basically graphene on steroids!? Sounds very interesting. 🤓

Just need to figure out how to make tons of this stuff fast and for less than one beeeeeellion dollars.

Simply amazing to see how different structures and bonds make these materials so incredible.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

For a moment there I thought this was about Graphene and was confused... Neat stuff. 
While I don't expect to see transistors made of it anytime soon, I'm particularly interested in this application:

Graphyne is also promising as a desalinator. Its double and triple carbon bonds form holes big enough for water molecules to go through but are not large enough for sodium and chlorine ions. This innate quality of graphyne offers another possibility for the alleviation of fresh water shortages around the world and other related ecological challenges.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Carbon is the coolest element,there are so many things we can do with it and so much potential.

Carbon is a great semi-conductor and has monstrous hardness and strength.

Carbon Fiber:

th?id=OIP.lMpl6uqj2_tVMfUjPXhhKgHaE8%26p

Graphite:

5pcs 10mm 99.99% Graphite Electrode Cylinder Rod Length 100mm Sale ...

Graphene:

Wonder material Graphene may power ultra-fast electronics in the future

Diamonds:

Diamond Conference | Helpful information about diamonds

Silicon Carbide:

X-Fab aims at lower-cost SiC with upgraded 6in line

High Carbon Steel:

Carbon Steel vs Stainless Steel | Metal Casting Blog

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

That's not Graphene, this is Graphene

The photo of the Graphene sample was taken in the Georgia Tech Nanotechnology Research Center:

https://www.newswise.com/articles/study-compares-techniques-for-doping-graphene2

Graduate research assistant Kevin Brenner holds a graphene sample under study in the Georgia Tech Nanotechnology Research Center.  The cryogenic probe station shown behind him is used to study doping effects in the material.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Still waiting for graphene to replace silicon as we are endlessly promised... don't hold your breath on this one getting to consumer electronics any time soon. The thing with silicon is that it's common, cheap and easy to work with; it's not enough to find a material that is theoretically better, it has to be practical too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The thing with silicon is that it's common, cheap and easy to work with; it's not enough to find a material that is theoretically better, it has to be practical too.

And that's where Silicon Carbide comes in.

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

Carbon Fiber:

i dont really like carbon fiber... they say its "hard" but in reality its also really brittle... even planes have issues with it (currently,  even though its really old tech by now, you'd think they'd figured it out). It also smashes in a billion sharp pieces, its really not that great as a building material (even though it has obvious advantages like weight,  but everything comes at a price, figuratively )

but yeah, carbon itself is pretty cool 😎 

On 5/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, jos said:

Scientists was able to create previously hypothesized wonder material, Grphyne for the first time. 

so, erm, does this have similar properties as graphene or is it easier to work with? Because they didn't figure that out yet either... but I read they found some "folding tech" for use as a "transistor"... that would be useful i suppose.  Origami stuff is fascinating anyways,  its crazy what can be done with this (mechanically) 

ps: also missed opportunity should be "for the first tyme" in the title 😉

Edited by Mark Kaine

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i dont really like carbon fiber... they say its "hard" but in reality its also really brittle... even planes have issues with it (currently,  even though its really old tech by now, you'd think they'd figured it out). It also smashes in a billion sharp pieces, its really not that great as a building material (even though it has obvious advantages like weight,  but everything comes at a price, figuratively )

Interesting,I have read that Carbon Fiber wears down machining tools pretty quickly so it's definitely a very hard material.

Edited by Vishera
I wrote nonsense so i corrected that.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Interesting,I have read that Carbon Fiber wears down machining tools pretty quickly so it's definitely a very hard material.

FYI in materials science "Hardness" is a measure of it's resistatance to erosive forces, whilst toughness is it's resistance to shattering.

The most obvious day to day material you might run into with a high hardness and a low toughness is high carbon steels. They retain sharp edges and the like well, but tend to break or shatter rather than bend.

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

yeah, it totally depends on the use case  But as with the planes (Airbus with issues currently i think) you'd think its the perfect material,  lightweight,  sturdy... except it somehow isnt and their planes just kinda self destruct and need constant extra maintenance...

I kinda almost think its too rigid for planes maybe? but its also design probably... just because a good material is available doesn't mean people fully understand how to... 

Space X also wanted to make carbon fiber rockets... i don't think they did...? 

Basically i don't hate the material,  i just think its a bit overhyped... similar to graphene, which is even worse... great material... no (known to me) actual use cases... 🤔

7 hours ago, CarlBar said:

FYI in materials science "Hardness" is a measure of it's resistatance to erosive forces, whilst toughness is it's resistance to shatter

ah, i didn't know that either... but as i said carbon fiber seems a bit brittle... you can even rip off pieces with your fingernails sometimes lol (probably not when its "brand new" but thats the point things age...)

tldr. great material,  very high maintenance cost (so maybe not so great for many use cases)

ps:  Boeing 787

"At launch, Boeing targeted 20% less fuel burn than replaced aircraft like the Boeing 767, carrying 200 to 300 passengers on point-to-point routes up to 8,500 nmi (16,000 km), a shift from hub-and-spoke travel. The twinjet is powered by General Electric GEnx or Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 high-bypass turbofans. It is the first airliner with an airframe primarily made of composite materials"

I think that one doesn't have issues? 

Also the devil is in the detail, they don't use carbon fiber,  they use carbon fiber "composites". 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Basically i don't hate the material,  i just think its a bit overhyped...

It may be practical in some use cases but it's expensive.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

similar to graphene, which is even worse... great material... no (known to me) actual use cases... 🤔

There are use cases for graphene: Interconnects for semi-conductor industry,diodes,LEDs.

But seems like it's difficult to produce,so difficult that there is only one source of photos for a graphene sample that is visible to the naked eye.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:13 AM, jos said:

The intro for this song is the exact same "News update" sound in this video:

And I was seriously thinking that I somehow had two tabs open or my phone (which plays through the same headset) started playing music because this song pops up a lot. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25