There must be a way for this, if linux has it then windows would have it too... I hope so.

Processor - i5-6500

GPU - asus 750ti 2gb oc

Ram - 16gb ddr4 2133mhz

Mother board - asus h170pro (not the usb 3.1)

Hdd - 2tb wd SMR WD20EZAZ 5400rpm

2tb WD SMR WD20EZBX 7200rpm

Psu - MWE BRONZE V2 450 230v

So i had this issue getting random freezes and shutdowns.

I thought it was hdd, it was processor, gpu, psu.

And everything i tried it didn't work out.

Then i changed to linux mint... crashes decreased.

(Yep it was windows being dumb af)

But they were still there After observing i found out everytime ram cache + memory in use crossed the 16 gb for a while (generally above 5 minutes) then it would freeze and won't unfreeze even after 11 hours or it would just shutdown.

Remember

memory occupied by cache >> memory in use.

E.g. 15gb of cache and 2gb of memory in use. (Yes the sum doesn't addup I don't know why either.)

I solved with the command:

Sudo "echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

But this was temporary and had to do it repeatedly. So...

"

Sudo watch -n 180 "echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

"

works like a charm not a single crash experienced till to date ever since i started using it. 😌👌.

**No the ram and it's cache was not filling up on in idle. Ram sticks are okay**

==============

Main question -

If there is a command to clear ram cache for linux/linux mint there must be something for windows 10 pro too,

what is it? How can i clear ram cache?

Tell me even if it's a temporary method

Share everything you have regarding cleaning ram cache.

**Do not just say/reply with ram caching is important or it makes app opening fast I did not make this topic just to listen to that.

I will try ssd but now don't have money and i need more storage than speed**

Now, i am using Quad-boot two linux and two windows 10 pro (one is just skeleton to let me in if the other one dies for some reason).

OSs' are on separate hdds

thanks for reading it, have a good day.

also thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Ram sticks are okay

how did you determine the ram sticks are ok because it better not be "i ran memtest"

Generally a randomized crash in windows that has no real bearing on the load has to do with the memory system. Effectively the memory is hitting a dead end that is unrecoverable and the cause is either A: bad memory stick , or B: The motherboard has an issue with memory management.

The easy way to test this is just to run a single stick alone in the machine by itself and see if it stabilizes , try each stick alone in the machine. A memory test program is gonna just yield a "we couldn't reproduce the problem" brush off answer that isn't going to help very much.

8 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

and won't unfreeze even after 11 hours or it would just shutdown.

Also do not wait hours on end for a machine to unfreeze. it's not suppose to freeze at all , so if it doesn't unfreeze after a few seconds then it's already broken. no sense in waiting 11 hours for something to happen.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

how did you determine the ram sticks are ok because it better not be "i ran memtest"

Bruh

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

The easy way to test this is just to run a single stick alone in the machine by itself and see if it stabilizes , try each stick alone in the machine. A memory test program is gonna just yield a "we couldn't reproduce the problem" brush off answer that isn't going to help very much.

Yep that's how i know it's fine.

I got the second stick this january.

I first started facing this problem in early 2018.

I got to that solution bcuz of linux forums they were many having this issue too. 

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Also do not wait hours on end for a machine to unfreeze. it's not suppose to freeze at all , so if it doesn't unfreeze after a few seconds then it's already broken. no sense in waiting 11 hours for something to happen.

That was a long time ago. Did it to decrease variables. So that I won't have a doubt in ma mind. 

Bcuz hdd 100% for a long time problem had also resurfaced (by that i mean spiked, curses gpu drivers!) 

Thanks for your reply.

So there's no command or way to clean it?

AMD chips with mostly Hynix memory modules have the toughest time. Experiencing it and testing with hardware, 2 motherboards and 4 processors 4 sets of memory. 

Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz = Garbage. 

Swap them out for a decent kit, Micron E-Die or Samsung B-die was the 100% cure. 

The memory would enter an idle state just reading an article, never to return. 

Some solutions or fixes to limit not remedy the situation as follows-

Disable C-states + disable memory power down mode. 

System shut downs (restarts) on AMD products where you get the error event 41 system sudden power loss is typically remedied by RMA the processor.

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

AMD chips with mostly Hynix memory modules have the toughest time. Experiencing it and testing with hardware, 2 motherboards and 4 processors 4 sets of memory. 

Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz = Garbage. 

Swap them out for a decent kit, Micron E-Die or Samsung B-die was the 100% cure. 

The memory would enter an idle state just reading an article, never to return. 

Some solutions or fixes to limit not remedy the situation as follows-

Disable C-states + disable memory power down mode. 

System shut downs (restarts) on AMD products where you get the error event 41 system sudden power loss is typically remedied by RMA the processor.

that's informative.

But i think i have already mentioned my system uses intel i5-6500

Just now, Orian Pax said:

that's informative.

But i think i have already mentioned my system uses intel i5-6500

Why would it be any different? My 8700K will hang up if my memory isn't set up correctly when overclocking..... But what would I know?

5 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Yep that's how i know it's fine.

I got the second stick this january.

I first started facing this problem in early 2018.

I got to that solution bcuz of linux forums they were many having this issue too. 

so you added a second stick and didn't remove the original stick?

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Why would it be any different? My 8700K will hang up if my memory isn't set up correctly when overclocking..... But what would I know?

Ah i see.

Hm... Memory speed is 2133mhz. I don't fiddle with it.

Hm let me add my mobo description too.

1 minute ago, Orian Pax said:

Ah i see.

Hm... Memory speed is 2133mhz. I don't fiddle with it.

Hm let me add my mobo description too.

add your memory part number as well. Don't know it? Use Cpu-z and take a screen shot of the SPD tab!

W10 or 11?

I feel i should actually add.... If your machine crashes with two different operating systems , then you have a hardware fault not a software fault.

Trying to avoid the problem and solve a hardware fault with a software bandaid isn't going to work out very well. As stated before the motherboard can also be at fault with the way it's managing the memory itself. In all honesty the moment you mentioned linux also crashed it was pretty much an open and shut case for a hardware fault.

add your memory part number as well. Don't know it? Use Cpu-z and take a screen shot of the SPD tab!

W10 or 11?

stick 1 and stick 2 respectively

W10 or 11?

i think you might wanna read the whole text..... again.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I feel i should actually add.... If your machine crashes with two different operating systems , then you have a hardware fault not a software fault.

Trying to avoid the problem and solve a hardware fault with a software bandaid isn't going to work out very well. As stated before the motherboard can also be at fault with the way it's managing the memory itself. In all honesty the moment you mentioned linux also crashed it was pretty much an open and shut case for a hardware fault.

Windows is just a bit heavier than linux. That's why it has more frequency issues. 

But it sounds like a bad stick of value ram to me. Just a wild guess. 

And your Memtest idea is good too.

Just now, emosun said:

not a single crash since 2018 (becuz of memory related issue. but there were a few bcuz gpu drivers)
i just want to know if there is a way to clean ram cache in windows 10 pro?
thanks for your input. :3

Have you updated the bios on the board becuase it appears to have had several related to system stability in the past 7 years

1 minute ago, Orian Pax said:

stick 1 and stick 2 respectively

i think you might wanna read the whole text..... again.

Cool cool. Got it. Memory is SK hynix. H170pro mobo.

Value rams bro. I have a couple sets of these. They suck on all my rigs. 😞 

4 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

i just want to know if there is a way to clean ram cache in windows 10 pro?

Clear as many applications from running as possible.

Perhaps try a Lite version of W10. 

Windows operating systems use a lot of resources. 

Or buy better memory..... Cause it has issues on 2 different operating systems.

13 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Cool cool. Got it. Memory is SK hynix. H170pro mobo.

Value rams bro. I have a couple sets of these. They suck on all my rigs. 😞 

Yea actually i wanted the usb 3.1 variant but i got scammed in the end the seller didn't have the 3.1 variant so i am stuck with this one.

And when i bought ddr4 was new like really new and me being a teen at that was like hey it's ddr4 i will take. (Yes i. Didn't know about memories back in the day.)

10 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Clear as many applications from running as possible.

Perhaps try a Lite version of W10. 

Windows operating systems use a lot of resources. 

Or buy better memory..... Cause it has issues on 2 different operating systems.

Hmm i think i should start to use windows 10 pro now.

I will update ya all if i face a crash bcuz of that.

I just installed windows 10 pro (few hours ago, and just of the fear of that i had not used it much other than updating and installing drivers)

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

so you added a second stick and didn't remove the original stick?

Somehow i missed this text of yours,

Now i am replying....

No when i first got the stick to check if it works i removed old one and tried the new one alone for day or two.

After i confirmed it works fine i put the old one back. No issues. 

Yes after cleaning every two weeks or once in a month i take both out and then out em back.

(Yes i do change order 1-3 to 2-4 and vice versa, no i don't strictly change their order it's just on whim after cleaning)

25 minutes ago, emosun said:

Have you updated the bios on the board becuase it appears to have had several related to system stability in the past 7 years

Yes mam/miss! :3

(No offense intended)

56 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Processor - i5-6500

GPU - asus 750ti 2gb oc

Ram - 16gb ddr4 2133mhz

Mother board - asus h170pro (not the usb 3.1)

Hdd - 2tb wd SMR WD20EZAZ 5400rpm

2tb WD SMR WD20EZBX 7200rpm

Psu - MWE BRONZE V2 450 230v

So i had this issue getting random freezes and shutdowns.

I thought it was hdd, it was processor, gpu, psu.

And everything i tried it didn't work out.

Then i changed to linux mint... crashes decreased.

(Yep it was windows being dumb af)

But they were still there After observing i found out everytime ram cache + memory in use crossed the 16 gb for a while (generally above 5 minutes) then it would freeze and won't unfreeze even after 11 hours or it would just shutdown.

Remember

memory occupied by cache >> memory in use.

E.g. 15gb of cache and 2gb of memory in use. (Yes the sum doesn't addup I don't know why either.)

I solved with the command:

Sudo "echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

But this was temporary and had to do it repeatedly. So...

"

Sudo watch -n 180 "echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

"

works like a charm not a single crash experienced till to date ever since i started using it. 😌👌.

**No the ram and it's cache was not filling up on in idle. Ram sticks are okay**

==============

Main question -

If there is a command to clear ram cache for linux/linux mint there must be something for windows 10 pro too,

what is it? How can i clear ram cache?

Tell me even if it's a temporary method

Share everything you have regarding cleaning ram cache.

**Do not just say/reply with ram caching is important or it makes app opening fast I did not make this topic just to listen to that.

I will try ssd but now don't have money and i need more storage than speed**

Now, i am using Quad-boot two linux and two windows 10 pro (one is just skeleton to let me in if the other one dies for some reason).

OSs' are on separate hdds

thanks for reading it, have a good day.

also thanks in advance.

If you take a look at Sysinternals or Nirsoft I believe they both have utilities that can clear RAM at various stages. There is a command for flushing buffers that still works for Windows of all versions but only refers to disk caches I think, which is not what you are asking for.

The utilities are light weight and free and work in both 32 and 64bit versions.

There are also plenty of other RAM scrubbing apps out there, but whether they work at all or do only what they purport is tested at your own risk.

You could try turning off Windows disk caching to see if that helps, although with HDDs your system will slow down considerably, also try increasing paging file size to see if that helps with stability.

I agree with above posters that sorting the issue on a hardware level would be a much more sensible approach, but obviously requires time and possibly money which you may not currently have.

Your issue is because the OS is trying to cache to your HDD and is either having issues due to its speed or maybe because of write caching.

How can I be so sure? /proc/sys/vm is the Linux kernel linker for virtual memory aka swap or pagefile, more specifically it handles the writing of dirty data to drives (dirty data is simply data that's marked for caching but hasn't actually been written to the cache yet). On Windows try disabling write back caching on your HDD (or if its already disabled try enabling it).

Edit - Also seems kinda important

This file is not a means to control the growth of the various kernel caches
(inodes, dentries, pagecache, etc...)  These objects are automatically
reclaimed by the kernel when memory is needed elsewhere on the system.

Use of this file can cause performance problems.  Since it discards cached
objects, it may cost a significant amount of I/O and CPU to recreate the
dropped objects, especially if they were under heavy use.  Because of this,
use outside of a testing or debugging environment is not recommended.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Your issue is because the OS is trying to cache to your HDD and is either having issues due to its speed or maybe because of write caching.

How can I be so sure? /proc/sys/vm is the Linux kernel linker for virtual memory aka swap or pagefile, more specifically it handles the writing of dirty data to drives (dirty data is simply data that's marked for caching but hasn't actually been written to the cache yet). On Windows try disabling write back caching on your HDD (or if its already disabled try enabling it).

Edit - Also seems kinda important

thanks for info i will look into it immediately
then again i dont use swap, more specifically i have changed the value to 10 or 20 from 60 so that swap space wont get used unless absolutely necessary.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/998

49 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Lite version of W10. 

interesting