Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help! - Motherboard capacitors broke off during shipping

Problem

 

During shipping my pc must have gotten quite a hit, since it seems the PSU hit the bottom of my motherboard and broke off two capacitors and bend a few pins. EDIT: On the picture they might seem bent, but they are both holding on to one pin. The other is visibly broken when I look at it from the side.

 

Questions

 

1. These capacitors are sitting around two usb ports I'm not using. Can I safely power on my pc without these capacitors?

 

2. I'm considering replacing these capacitors, but I have no idea where to find these. One says M 86V, 560, 6.3V and the other M 86U, 560, 6.3V. If I look for capacitors with 560uF and 6.3V on Digikey, I can only find capacitors with a minimum diameter of 8mm, while these seem to be 6mm Through Hole Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors.

 

Additional info

 

My motherboard is the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon and I live in Japan.

IMG_20220521_132139.jpg

IMG_20220521_132219.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mystical_Potato said:

broke off two capacitors

I mean...unless these are old photos, but they look like they're still attached, bent maybe, but what makes you think they are "broken off"?

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

check if the connection is broken. capacitor can bent to a certain degree. don't worry about it.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the connection is still good, probably nothing to worry about.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could get curious and try the USB ports to make an assessment. If anything, you just won't have a working USB port you're not using......

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I mean...unless these are old photos, but they look like they're still attached, bent maybe, but what makes you think they are "broken off"?

They are both still connected with one pin, but the other is visibly broken off when I look at it from the side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

go to an electronic shop and have them reattach the pin, no need to replace.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

check if the connection is broken. capacitor can bent to a certain degree. don't worry about it.

They are broken off by one pin. Would it be safe to start up and see?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

just go to them, they'll know what to do with it.

for the mean time, i think it's safe to use the motherboard, but first you have to bend / straighten the usb header pins, they should not touch each other.

if you don't use the usb header everything should be okay.

those caps are for the headers.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

go to an electronic shop and have them reattach the pin, no need to replace.

Can that really be done if they're broken off on the component's side of the board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

absolutely, it's not a difficult part to solder. worse case they replace it.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

just go to them, they'll know what to do with it.

for the mean time, i think it's safe to use the motherboard, but first you have to bend / straighten the usb header pins, they should not touch each other.

if you don't use the usb header everything should be okay.

those caps are for the headers.

I'll first bend the headers back and see if it runs. Is it safer to break off the caps completely? Or can I just let them hang? I'm considering bringing it to a shop, but there is nothing close by. If you would fix it yourself, how would you go about it? I take it you first remove the component?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

how to desolder and solder a capacitor

 

it's a fairly easy process, but i suggest you practice first on a broken board.
or if you're unsure, find someone with a bit of soldering experience.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

how to desolder and solder a capacitor

 

it's a fairly easy process, but i suggest you practice first on a broken board.
or if you're unsure, find someone with a bit of soldering experience.

I feel confident in soldering or desoldering components, but I thought you meant resoldering the same cap with the broken pin. I would not know how to do that. It snapped off right at the base of the component. How would you reconnect the pin? Would the cap not get way too hot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i suggest getting a new one, it is easier to do it yourself.

do you plan to use the header? if not dont bother resoldering it.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i suggest getting a new one, it is easier to do it yourself.

do you plan to use the header? if not dont bother resoldering it.

I'm pretty sure I will never use them. I don't know if it's bad / riskful to leave it hanging, but I think I will just desolder them (They could still fall down), clean the holes and give it a go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mystical_Potato said:

 

 

 

IMG_20220521_132219.jpg


You'd best get the fingers of the left USB header (Center arrow) separated too before trying it, that amounts to a dead-short and could kill the onboard USB controller of the entire board.

The cap on the right has a broken leg for sure, the one on the left is probrably OK and you can either push it back or simply ignore it to test.
Also, just to the left of the left cap there is a header ( Labeled JT1 ) you need to look at too, looks to have some bent pins as well.

Only real problem I can see is the cap on the right, easy fix if you have the equipment to do it with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:


You'd best get the fingers of the left USB header (Center arrow) separated too before trying it, that amounts to a dead-short and could kill the onboard USB controller of the entire board.

The cap on the right has a broken leg for sure, the one on the left is probrably OK and you can either push it back or simply ignore it to test.
Also, just to the left of the left cap there is a header ( Labeled JT1 ) you need to look at too, looks to have some bent pins as well.

Only real problem I can see is the cap on the right, easy fix if you have the equipment to do it with.

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll try to fix it. I will first bend the usb headers back in place and then desolder the caps. If it runs fine without the caps I'm probably going to leave it at that, since I'm not planning on using that usb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd replace any bad caps anyway, I've seen caps in places you woudn't think could affect something elsewhere on the board but they did.
I'm thinking they could affect the SB part of the board, not just USB functionality itself like the ones I'm referring to in that general area I've ran into before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I'd replace any bad caps anyway, I've seen caps in places you woudn't think could affect something elsewhere on the board but they did.
I'm thinking they could affect the SB part of the board, not just USB functionality itself like the ones I'm referring to in that general area I've ran into before.

Do you know how I can find a replacement? Other than capacitance and voltage I'm not sure what else to look for and the caps I did find were all bigger in diameter than the ones on the board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mystical_Potato said:

Do you know how I can find a replacement? Other than capacitance and voltage I'm not sure what else to look for and the caps I did find were all bigger in diameter than the ones on the board.

If the leg pattern (Spacing) is the same it's not a problem if they happen to be larger physically in size. As long as the values (capacitance and voltage) are the same that's the biggest thing. If they'll fit without interferring with anything around them it's all good, even if it looks a bit odd with them in place.

Those seem to be a common spec for solid caps so if you happen to have a dead board, GPU or whatever around with those that will do the trick as long as those caps are good themselves.
Just rob them and put them to good use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bent back the usb headers and removed the caps. The solder on my motherboard did not want to melt. At 450C and with a little bit of new solder I was finally able to pull out the caps. However, I was not able to clean out the holes completely, so I'll try to first run it without new caps. Also I forgot to buy new flux cleaner, so I hope it's fine to leave it on there for a day or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've put everything back together (without new caps) and the pc doesn't power up. Nothing happens, like there is no power. Is there a possibility that the pc won't start without those caps? Other than than those caps and headers there was no visible damage. Could it also be that the PSU didn't survive the move?

 

EDIT: I accidentally switched the power and reset button. It looks like it's working just fine. Thanks for all the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's working and to your satisfaction, that's what counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×