Z690 Formula, Code 55, No memory detected, but only on restart

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

BIOS updated? This is usually a symptom of early BIOS bugs on a new platform. 

Z690 Formula, Corsair Dominator 5600 ‎CMT32GX5M2B5600C36W, 12700k, I've still got until June 14th to return this. 

I got the board off Amazon warehouse for $580. Can't tell if it was actually used or not. Key chain was missing. Some of the plastic wrap had been removed. Otherwise it looked new.

So I get code 55, no memory detected sometimes, on restart. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens most of the time. All I have to do is flip my power supply off, flip it on, and start it up fresh and it works fine. Been playing games. Ran the motherboard's version of memtest 86; it said it passed. It ran Prime 95 fine. Furmark. 

I don't get it.

Any ideas?

BIOS updated? This is usually a symptom of early BIOS bugs on a new platform. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Sounds like that is the exact issue on why it was probably returned for open box. 

Could be one of 4 things.

That memory channel is damaged, you could try the  other two slots and see if the issue occurs still. Sometimes the A channel works but B doesnt and vice versa, sometimes A2 fails but A1 B1 B2 work.

Bios is borked, you need to update it and see if it helps. Launch bios can be pretty hit or miss, so update them and see if it helps.

CPU is having issues with one of the pins, could be a contact issue, bent pin, etc. This could be another issue upon return, i find that unless the retailer is told BENT PINS, they dont inspect it very much.

Something could be wrong with the Ram itself, it could just be on its last legs and sometimes it just wont boot on due to various factors.

Sounds like an Asus board that doesn't dig the memory. Hard to tell....

Things to try.

A. Reseat the memory sticks, be sure in the proper slots.

B. Reseat the CPU and cooler, but be careful how tight the cooler is. (board bending?)

C. Check bios training algorithms. 

D. XMP enabled, manually lower the frequency to 5400

E. Clear cmos and flash the bios. 

F. Use the motherboard disk to recover the bios (disconnect all drives and boot from disk)