[Solved] Android 12 add to home screen / install app

Pup Shepard

There are many webpages that instead of allowing you to "add to homescreen"  its been replaced with install app from within chome.   I dont want to install an app, I want the shortcut to the web page.  Is there away to force this?

I found out that the firefox app will still let you do this.  The chrome app seems to have this thing where some websites will cause that feature to download the app rather than allow you to make a shortcut on the homescreen.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:22 AM, Pup Shepard said:

I found out that the firefox app will still let you do this.  The chrome app seems to have this thing where some websites will cause that feature to download the app rather than allow you to make a shortcut on the homescreen.

It doesnt install an app, its called a progressive web app (PWA), and it optimizes loading speeds and caches data. It’s really just more convenient. If you dont want it, Firefox is an option, but think a bit more about why you dont want it. (It doesnt actually install an app)

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

On 5/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, kamonanban said:

but think a bit more about why you dont want it. (It doesnt actually install an app)

Security, transparency, trust.  Its already impossible to use the web without being tracked, from code that tracks your browser habits such as mouse movement, screen size, etc.  Apps would have even more data available to it from your phone to track you.  As for PAW's google advertizes the advantage of using them for ad tracking over browser webapps.

Using the web browser is the least bad of all the bad options.  Perhaps you should think more about why you want to use pwa's.

5 hours ago, Pup Shepard said:

Security, transparency, trust.  Its already impossible to use the web without being tracked, from code that tracks your browser habits such as mouse movement, screen size, etc.  Apps would have even more data available to it from your phone to track you.  As for PAW's google advertizes the advantage of using them for ad tracking over browser webapps.

Using the web browser is the least bad of all the bad options.  Perhaps you should think more about why you want to use pwa's.

Speed, reliability, optimization. I dont use PWAs for this reason, but most people already have massive google cookies, and dont care.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4