Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 nzxt fan controllers in 1 build?

motomat86

Title 

Is there any issues with cam software identifying multiple fan controllers?   Figured I'd ask before I buy 2 and hope for the best 

2 hours ago, motomat86 said:

Title 

Is there any issues with cam software identifying multiple fan controllers?   Figured I'd ask before I buy 2 and hope for the best 

I’m a bit concerned with the need for 2 fan controllers.  How many fans do you want to put in this thing?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I’m a bit concerned with the need for 2 fan controllers.  How many fans do you want to put in this thing?

12.   and 6 of them run .30A, so its not really the amount of fans being the issue, but the high rpm of the fans causing a limit of how many i can split.

1 minute ago, motomat86 said:

12.   and 6 of them run .30A, so its not really the amount of fans being the issue, but the high rpm of the fans causing a limit of how many i can split.

I’ve never had more than 5 myself and even that was a special situation. I haven’t done push/pull on a radiator though.  Fan numbers can get pretty high pretty fast with those.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

the real crux is the phantecks t130 fants that do 3000rpm,   its .36A and max fan header is 1A  so 2 fans per fan header, fan controller comes with 3.  but having over 100 CFM on a 12700k is really nice, so i dont mind jumping through all the hoops.   can keep a 5.3ghz single core and 5.0 all core OC under 75c in r23

And these are all rgb?  Used to be there ware separate cables for lights and fan, and all that matters for rgb is the lights.  You could run some of the fans off motherboard power.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

And these are all rgb?  Used to be there ware separate cables for lights and fan, and all that matters for rgb is the lights.  You could run some of the fans off motherboard power.

oh no rgb on any of the fans i use.   i have the phantecks t130s and a tote of random noctua fans.   

8 minutes ago, motomat86 said:

oh no rgb on any of the fans i use.   i have the phantecks t130s and a tote of random noctua fans.   

So just can the rgb software, do your fan control in bios, and run what you need to off the motherboard fan outputs.  You’d want to make sure that the motherboard you are using actually conforms to atx spec so you can run one of thos .3 amp fans off a motherboard header.  Rgb stuff like that is famous for being buggy anyway.  

im sorry somehow this convo got side tracked and you must have assumed im a moron or something

i want the fan controller because its a fan controller, not a rgb controller.  doing fan curves in bios is utterly stupid because when you flash cmos or do a bios update its all gone.  but thanks for your input.

Just now, motomat86 said:

im sorry somehow this convo got side tracked and you must have assumed im a moron or something

i want the fan controller because its a fan controller, not a rgb controller.  doing fan curves in bios is utterly stupid because when you flash cmos or do a bios update its all gone.  but thanks for your input.

Not sure “utterly stupid” is accurate.  It was the preferred method for 30 years, and is still done most of the time.  Pretty much every time I see someone complaining about how their fans don’t work right it turns out to be the fan controller software.  For a while there were hardware devices with actual knobs on them that ran off a molex, but those are basically gone if for no other reason than they usually needed 5.25” bays which mostly no longer exist, and they tended not to do sensor ramping. Fan hubs are mostly for when there aren’t enough fan ports on the motherboard for what you want to do, or you just want the neatness.  Splitters coming off every which way from the motherboard look unsightly to some.