Best x570 motherboard for overclocking

Best am4 motherboard for ram overclocking  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best am4 motherboard for ram overclocking ?

• Evga x570 dark
    • Msi x570s unify x max
    • Asus x570 crosshair dark hero

Is it true that b550 motherboards are better for ram overclocking and give higher infinity fabric results than x570 motherboards??????

Nobody beats EVGA when it comes to overclocking specialty. The Dark literally removed 2 ram slots for improved stability and has a rotated socket for shorter traces and reduced interference

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

never heard of it, memory are controlled directly from the cpu not the chipset. so in theory it depends on what cpu your on.

difference between motherboard are probably the power deliveries to the ram slot.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Achilles777 said:

Is it true that b550 motherboards are better for ram overclocking and give higher infinity fabric results than x570 motherboards??????

I would doubt that, the main thing you want when oc'ng memory is PCB layers X570 boards tend towards 6-8 layers while B550 tend to trend towards 2-4.

PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.25GHz

RAM: 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 15-15-15-36 @ 3600MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 

GPU: Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil 

SSD: 500GB 970 Evo Plus, 500GB Pioneer NVMe, 480GB BX500 SATA.

PSU: Corsair AX1600i 

Cooling: EKWB Watercooling 

Case: O11 Dynamic XL + EKWB Reflection distro plate 

Laptop: Framework Batch 10

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

13 minutes ago, Achilles777 said:

What is the Best am4 motherboard for ram overclocking?????

Asus X570 Dark Hero or the EVGA dark and other TOTL boards. The X570 dark hero demands upper mid range price while having a serious VRM setup.

PC:

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

14 minutes ago, Achilles777 said:

What is the Best am4 motherboard for ram overclocking?????

I only have experience with the Dark Hero. And it is giving me grief. Seems to have lower power limits than the other two for one. And four ram slots, which should be negative for ram oc.

Planning to purchase the Unify X Max soon(tm). Which also have only 2 memory slots, but not the 90 degree rotation that EVGA have. I wanted to try the EVGA but it is impossible to find where I live.

So I would rank the Dark Hero last. The other two I honestly don't know. But I believe either beats the Asus. 🐵

Apparently the MSi B550 Unify X is better than the X570 Unify X (Max) for ram oc. MSi have some ram overclocking yt videos with those boards.

No idea if that is the global truth. I just came across those videos while researching the X570 Unify X Max.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

never heard of it, memory are controlled directly from the cpu not the chipset. so in theory it depends on what cpu your on.

difference between motherboard are probably the power deliveries to the ram slot.

Listen for the first 3 minutes

For daily overclocks, there is more of a board to board difference than an X570 vs. B550 difference. 

For extreme overclocks, B550 is better for one reason and one reason alone: BCLK. The X570 chipset does not appreciate raising the base clock and tends to throw a fit when raising it past ~102MHz depending on what you've got hooked up to it. B550 couldn't care less and you can go into the 120MHz range. It's useful for getting the last 10 MHz out of a chip or a memory stick. For competitve benchmarking, that 10-20MHz is very important since that can be the difference between 1 place and 4th place. For daily usage, you won't notice, and BCLK overclocking is inherently unstable so you don't want to mess with it for daily settings (at least on AMD, on Intel systems they have it setup differently so it makes no difference there).

8 minutes ago, Achilles777 said:

Listen for the first 3 minutes

He mentioned the difference is the BCLK, which is the base clock for the entire system. Usually i prefer to leave it at default (100mhz) as im overclocking for daily usage i don't want to damage the connection to other parts such as gpu or nvme. I overclocked my samsung 2666 memory to 3600 for over a year now.

Memory overclocking depends on :
- cpu memory controller, result from 1st and 2nd gen ryzen vs 3000 and 5000 is very different since the cpu has a different memory controller.

- types of memory chip inside your ram module. i choose a blank samsung memory so the memory chips are visible (plus they are so cheap).

- motherboard settings, some motherboard has advance memory settings, some dont. some have better build quality some dont.

if you want to do a competitive overclocking, blck might help to squeeze every little bit of performance, if you know where to stop before damaging the rest of the system.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

37 minutes ago, Pandur said:

I only have experience with the Dark Hero. And it is giving me grief. Seems to have lower power limits than the other two for one. And four ram slots, which should be negative for ram oc.

Planning to purchase the Unify X Max soon(tm). Which also have only 2 memory slots, but not the 90 degree rotation that EVGA have. I wanted to try the EVGA but it is impossible to find where I live.

So I would rank the Dark Hero last. The other two I honestly don't know. But I believe either beats the Asus. 🐵

I had an MSI board and for me it was a bit of a nightmare the software was buggy and bios was a bit of a nightmare to navigate. That said my gigabyte board probably takes the cake for the most annoying software and experience maybe it's just AMD boards but I haven't found anything that just kinda works y'know. Might try an EVGA or an asrock out next. 

PC:

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

27 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For daily overclocks, there is more of a board to board difference than an X570 vs. B550 difference. 

For extreme overclocks, B550 is better for one reason and one reason alone: BCLK. The X570 chipset does not appreciate raising the base clock and tends to throw a fit when raising it past ~102MHz depending on what you've got hooked up to it. B550 couldn't care less and you can go into the 120MHz range. It's useful for getting the last 10 MHz out of a chip or a memory stick. For competitve benchmarking, that 10-20MHz is very important since that can be the difference between 1 place and 4th place. For daily usage, you won't notice, and BCLK overclocking is inherently unstable so you don't want to mess with it for daily settings (at least on AMD, on Intel systems they have it setup differently so it makes no difference there).

Thats exactly what the overclocker said in the youtube video

And i really dont care about bclk 

But what am interested in  is infinity fabric overclocking

So i was wondering since b550 is better in bclk overclocking does that make it better in infinity fabric overclocking ?

May be reach 2000 or above stable infinity fabric

1 minute ago, DigitalDoofus said:

I had an MSI board and for me it was a bit of a nightmare the software was buggy and bios was a bit of a nightmare to navigate. That said my gigabyte board probably takes the cake for the most annoying software and experience maybe it's just AMD boards but I haven't found anything that just kinda works y'know. Might try an EVGA or an asrock out next. 

I don't use manufacturer software so that is fine. And I have previous experience with MSi bios. Start digging into ASUS advanced menus and you will find challenges there as well. Like I said, I wanted to test the EVGA x570 Dark, but it appears that has been discontinued in Europe. Which makes the MSi Unify X Max the next best option on my list.

Well none of the listed would be the "Bestest of the best".

You want the Asus Apex.

6 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Well none of the listed would be the "Bestest of the best".

You want the Asus Apex.

Apex for intel 

No amd version

11 minutes ago, Achilles777 said:

Thats exactly what the overclocker said in the youtube video

And i really dont care about bclk 

But what am interested in  is infinity fabric overclocking

So i was wondering since b550 is better in bclk overclocking does that make it better in infinity fabric overclocking ?

May be reach 2000 or above stable infinity fabric

B550 has nothing to do with infinity fabric. That is entirely down to the quality of the substrate you get. You might get it to go an extra 5-10MHz higher on B550 because you have a bit more flexibility thanks to being able to adjust the BCLK, but as said above, that does not matter in the slightest for daily. 

The reason B550 is better at BCLK is because X570 has issues initializing when the BCLK is raised too high and B550 does not. There's nothing inherently better about it that makes it better at getting higher FCLK because FCLK is entirely contained inside the CPU. 

1 minute ago, Achilles777 said:

Apex for intel 

No amd version

I voted for the Dark Hero honestly. I just have done a lot of LN2 on many Asus boards including my daily Maximus X Hero I'm typing from now benching the CPU around 6-6.2ghz. But nothing wrong with the EVGA. Just isn't my preference. 

Also you wouldn't use AMD on LN2 for 3D benchmarking..... The Infinity Fabric is the ultimate limitation for AMD rigs. 

Z690 Apex + 12900K or bust. (In my opinion only, not baiting for arguments)

Ahem, let me additional comment here.

AMD can clock memory pretty well if you're willing to uncouple the infinity fabric. You loose a ton of performance but might start gaining it back past 4200mhz memory frequency. 

For the average user, doing some mild overclocking, I'd pit my B450i ROG board against any X570 for AMD memory overclocking as it's set up similar to the top boards with only two memory slots. On ambient cooling 1:1:1 ratio, you could essentially repeat the overclock on most all AM4 motherboards......

edit: 

More over, the boards you have listed would be for extremists. Or you just have the money to burn....

If you are too poor for the Dark Hero like me, the Strix XE has the same VRM as the DH and comes with the nifty Asus Hyper M.2 card 😄

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

-= Topics Merged =-

Please keep like questions to one topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

for the record i have a dark hero and a MSI Meg ace, and i gotta say the dark hero is awesome however i have never been able to beat scores from the MSI board.Also have a B550 unify and havent notice much difference in ram stability  (im not the guy who uncouples and goes for 4800 on AM4)  I need one more AM4 board to complete the collection and im still undecided between the V2 MSI meg ace max, the evga dark, and the asrock x570 tai chi (i have the 6900 OC formula so it would match.  i built over 20 AM4 builds for people since ccovid and imo gigabyte is the most simple bios to get decent results with settings mostly on auto.  If you wanna go all out i would say MSI or EVGA

Cheers

-Mike