RM 850x not enough for 3090?

GM7

Hi, So I had a thread before but it's quite old so I created a new one. So To quickly sum up: 

I have INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 3090 ICHILL X4 with RM 850x power supply my monitors were turning off and pc would black screen crash. And I ended up sending my graphics card back to the store for them to repair it. And I waited 4 months and they said they fixed something with temps but I didn't notice any difference I think they basically sent me the same card back. But I did the testing again and now with 5 fans in the case and an open side panel and room temp of 20°C, I monitored my temps and the highest was VRAM 90 and the max for the card itself was 70 and it still crashed (monitors turn off and but you can still hear the audio for some time). As I understood the limit is 110 before some artifacts happen. But for what I tested when I turned power saving mode on pc It didn't crash since, so I'm wondering if it could be some power spikes or something.

My PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 3090 ICHILL X4
Power supply: Corsair RM 850x
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
RAM: 24GB 3000MHz
Main Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 240 hertz
2nd Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid 

Old Thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1412228-rm-850x-not-enough-for-3090/

crash.jpeg

5 minutes ago, GM7 said:

RAM: 24GB 3000MHz

what configuration is this ram because 24 gb is probably going to be a bunch of sticks and not just a few.

also yeah you'll probably want 1000w or more for a 3090 as the power spikes can crash a system pretty easy

it shouldnt have taken 4 months.... I think they were straight up just playing with your  GPU then returned it after. That seems WAY to extreme. 

Ive had to fix a fair bit of computers with the RM 850 PSU with 3080ti, 3090 and 3090ti. It seems some of the PSU's really dont like the high GPU load, and can cause crashing. Although this one looks like it is artifacts and it looks like memory artifacts.

One of two things you can try, Underclock the memory a little bit and see it it changes, undervolt a little and see if it helps, or change the PSU to a 1000W one. 

If the PSU wasn't enough, it wouldn't be doing this.  It would be shutting down.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

what configuration is this ram because 24 gb is probably going to be a bunch of sticks and not just a few.

also yeah you'll probably want 1000w or more for a 3090 as the power spikes can crash a system pretty easy

8GB one is G.SKILL 8 GB DDR4, 2133 MHz F4-2133C15S-8GNT
16GB I am not sure  I can't find the original document, but I think it's corsair 3100 Mhz I think.

I know this is bad im planning to chage them soon. I did mem test on both and they passed.

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

it shouldnt have taken 4 months.... I think they were straight up just playing with your  GPU then returned it after. That seems WAY to extreme. 

Ive had to fix a fair bit of computers with the RM 850 PSU with 3080ti, 3090 and 3090ti. It seems some of the PSU's really dont like the high GPU load, and can cause crashing. Although this one looks like it is artifacts and it looks like memory artifacts.

One of two things you can try, Underclock the memory a little bit and see it it changes, undervolt a little and see if it helps, or change the PSU to a 1000W one. 

Yeah I didn't really think of that I believed them because they said they are going to send gpu outside the country since they are not "repairing them here" but as I see it I basically got the same GPU back. But they temporary gave me 3060 until this one got back since it was taking soo long.

2 minutes ago, GM7 said:

I did mem test on both and they passed.

mem test doesn't do a whole lot. It only lets you know the memory is currently working , it doesn't let you know when it randomly stops working. Basically a "we couldn't reproduce the error" brush off.

that being said that 3090 probably just want a bit more juice and your unit doesn;t seem to want to supply it.

21 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I'm worried this was the case, They said a new card would be arriving if the issue weren't fixed. But I think I will just return this one and upgrade to 3090 ti and if the issue still occurs I will buy a new PSU.

Its plenty. My tiny little SF750 handles my 3090 just fine at 400W. The PSU would be shutting down the system if you reached a limit with it.

You were already told issue wasn't the PSU when you had issues in February, and the issue still isn't PSU related. Why do you still keep insisting that it's PSU related? 

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

You were already told issue wasn't the PSU when you had issues in February, and the issue still isn't PSU related. Why do you still keep insisting that it's PSU related? 

Yeah you are right my bad, I’m just frustrated I checked everything except psu thats why I keep thinking its an psu issue.

So I was randomly playing Fortnite with few buddies and again random crash appeared but it was strange screen froze and windows blue screen was over the game? But % counter was still going up for bsod.E9DBA72B-057D-4F01-AF8B-7FB195D4BB02.thumb.jpeg.fc263c3f85c256a688c1b097b0d8689c.jpeg

27 minutes ago, GM7 said:

So I was randomly playing Fortnite with few buddies and again random crash appeared but it was strange screen froze and windows blue screen was over the game? But % counter was still going up for bsod.E9DBA72B-057D-4F01-AF8B-7FB195D4BB02.thumb.jpeg.fc263c3f85c256a688c1b097b0d8689c.jpeg

That BSOD code is a graphics problem. Try running DDU on your system and then a fresh install of your video drivers. Looking over this and the older thread, I see artifacts which indicates faulty VRAM on the graphics card. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card