Internet slower on one instance of windows than another on the same tower

So my main windows install (on a SAMSUNG 970 PRO) was having issues with minimizing full screen games randomly and after fucking around with it for a while I just gave up. I threw another hard drive in (SAMSUNG 870 EVO), clean windows install, no problem. I recently moved for work and got Gigabit internet. My issue is that in my main windows instance I get 150-160Mbps, on my gaming instance (the cleaner install) I get 900+Mbps. Drivers say up to date on both instances of windows, I'm hard lined into the router (wifi comes in 150ish on both instances). Windows defender on both instances, no VPN running when I tested, and I closed out of everything that would suck bandwidth. Everything is the same hardware wise except the boot drive and I don't know enough about the software side of things to know where to go after driver update failed me. Any idea of how to find what's causing the differences in speed would be appreciated.

37 minutes ago, AlcoholicsAnonymous said:

I'm hard lined into the router (wifi comes in 150ish on both instances)

so you're connecting both lan and wifi at the same time?

simple, on the 970 internet came from the wifi and 870 came from lan.

this is simply just a miss configuraion of your internet connection.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

42 minutes ago, AlcoholicsAnonymous said:

So my main windows install (on a SAMSUNG 970 PRO) was having issues with minimizing full screen games randomly and after fucking around with it for a while I just gave up. I threw another hard drive in (SAMSUNG 870 EVO), clean windows install, no problem. I recently moved for work and got Gigabit internet. My issue is that in my main windows instance I get 150-160Mbps, on my gaming instance (the cleaner install) I get 900+Mbps. Drivers say up to date on both instances of windows, I'm hard lined into the router (wifi comes in 150ish on both instances). Windows defender on both instances, no VPN running when I tested, and I closed out of everything that would suck bandwidth. Everything is the same hardware wise except the boot drive and I don't know enough about the software side of things to know where to go after driver update failed me. Any idea of how to find what's causing the differences in speed would be appreciated.

Are they both default installs of windows of the same version code?  There are dozens of settings that could do this.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

so you're connecting both lan and wifi at the same time?

simple, on the 970 internet came from the wifi and 870 came from lan.

this is simply just a miss configuraion of your internet connection.

Not it, I manually went in and forgot the wifi network, same issue

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Are they both default installs of windows of the same version code?  There are dozens of settings that could do this.

The main is windows 10 pro I got free when they first released it with the free upgrade. The second is windows 10 home. Both version 21H2, different OS Builds. Pro is 19044.1706,  home is 19044.1645.

30 minutes ago, AlcoholicsAnonymous said:

The main is windows 10 pro I got free when they first released it with the free upgrade. The second is windows 10 home. Both version 21H2, different OS Builds. Pro is 19044.1706,  home is 19044.1645.

Home and pro are basically the same thing.  There is just stuff that home can’t do that pro can.  One of which is by dint of massive effort every time you restart to turn off many (but still not all) datamining malware apps.  One would assume default settings for one is different than the other.  Is pro the fast one btw?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Home and pro are basically the same thing.  There is just stuff that home can’t do that pro can.  One of which is by dint of massive effort every time you restart to turn off many (but still not all) datamining malware apps.  One would assume default settings for one is different than the other.  Is pro the fast one btw?

No, pro is on the 970 pro getting the 150-160Mbps, home is on the 870 evo getting the correct speeds. Pro is the older and more cluttered version

Just now, AlcoholicsAnonymous said:

No, pro is on the 970 pro getting the 150-160Mbps, home is on the 870 evo getting the correct speeds. Pro is the older and more cluttered version

Well there you go then perhaps.  It’s no longer default, so there’s no telling what settings have gotten changed

Well there you go then perhaps.  It’s no longer default, so there’s no telling what settings have gotten changed

I don't remember fucking with any network settings but I'll dig around in there and see what I can see

So I went through the options under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections" hit the Ethernet connection I'm using with a "Properties" and "Configure", dug through the "Advanced" section and took pictures on the 870 evo install, compared to the 970 pro and they all line up. I don't suppose I would be fortunate enough that you might have other suggestions as to where to poke around?