Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BIOS crashes when using USB device (new build/MSI B550)

Woozle

Hey everyone, today i build my new pc and when I try to use any USB device in the BIOS it crashes.

The problem

The system loads into the BIOS as it should and all components are recognized (CPU/RAM/M.2) but as soon as i use my keyboard or mouse there is a short lag then the cursor moves and then the BIOS crashes. The screen turns black, shows no signal and the kb and mouse turn off, the fans of the computer stay on. After a few seconds the kb and mouse turn back on and the BIOS screen comes back, if I use my kb or mouse again it lags and crashes again. Sometimes I can navigate through the BIOS for a few seconds but it eventually crashes. (it crashes faster when I use the mouse and works a little longer using kb) It also crashes when I start up with a bootable Windows USB-stick in. When I don't do anything the BIOS stays on forever and doesn't crash (with multiple USB devices connected) but as soon as I use my kb or mouse it crashes.

The system

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI

BIOS: E7C95AMS.280 (06.22.2021)

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200 CL16

M.2: SAMSUNG SSD 980 500 GB

PSU: 500W Seasonic

Case: Aerocool Trinity Mini-G-BK-v2

What I've tried

• different keyboards and mice (both wired and wireless, they all work fine on my other system)
  • only connect one USB device at a time (kb OR mouse)
  • every USB port
  • different display connections (DP&HDMI)
  • cleared CMOS
  • disconnected front USB
  • checked all cables
  • fully disassembled and reassembled the system (checked CPU pins)

Nothing worked.

XHCI hand off and legacy USB support are enabled, I was able to check that just before it crashed. I don't have a keyboard or mouse with PS2 plug.

The only thing that I can think of that is left is updating the BIOS. However I am hesitant to try that since it uses USB and if it's a USB issue it might crash and brick the system.

I hope someone has experience with this issue and can help. Thanks in advance.

First double-check that you do not have a motherboard stand in the wrong place. This can cause all kinds of "fun" faults.

You can do a bios update without anything connected to the motherboard, except power. Don't even need a CPU installed. See the manual.

I would be inclined to attempt this. But like you say, this could brick the whole thing. It will load the bios update from usb and verify the file before updating though. After that the usb is not accessed. So either it should crash before updating, or the update should succeed. But yeah, no guarantees.

I have seen this issue with a specific motherboard and a specific mouse or keyboard. Never every usb device.

50 minutes ago, Pandur said:

First double-check that you do not have a motherboard stand in the wrong place. This can cause all kinds of "fun" faults.

all standoffs are in the right place

51 minutes ago, Pandur said:

I have seen this issue with a specific motherboard and a specific mouse or keyboard. Never every usb device.

it's really wierd

It does sound like your options are either return the motherboard or risk the bios flash function on the backpanel. In theory it could be cpu or ram as well, but it is much more likely that the motherboard is the bad component.

34 minutes ago, Pandur said:

It does sound like your options are either return the motherboard or risk the bios flash function on the backpanel. In theory it could be cpu or ram as well, but it is much more likely that the motherboard is the bad component.

I think you're right, thanks for your input.

I've contacted MSI support, lets see what they say. BIOS flash or RMA.