Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC doesn't post after installing MSI Center for GPU

TyZed
 Share

Posted (edited)

Hi. I installed MSI Center recently to disable the LED on my MSI GAMING X 1650 Super and while it worked, I wanted to test if it would persist on reboot. The PC rebooted and got stuck on the boot logo (peripherals were initialized though). This was awkward since I have an SSD so I reset the PC, and now it lights up with the fans running but neither do my peripherals light up as they do in BIOS initialization nor does the PC post.

I've tested on another PC and my GPU works fine. RAM should be fine too since using even a single stick doesn't fix it. I also took out my Windows installation SSD and cleared CMOS, to no avail. Monitor and monitor cable are fine too.

 

The only other thing I can think of is the motherboard being wonky but how could an application install do that to a motherboard?

The last time I tried MSI Dragon Center was an absolutely horrific experience so I thought MSI Center might be different. Boy was I wrong.

I would like to add that before restarting the PC, I did go into Windows Services and turned off MSI's voice service and another one, which wasn't the Core service or the Mystic Light service.

 

Also, I updated my GeForce Drivers without restarting before all this. That shouldn't be an issue since I've done so multiple times and I already know that the GPU works.

Please help.

 

Intel Xeon E3-1230v3

ASUS CS-B (Q87)

MSI GAMING X 1650 Super

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB

Cooler Master CM Force 500 and an 500W included power supply

Samsung 870 Evo 256GB SSD

Edited by TyZed
Added specifications
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you create a Windows Installation USB and use it as a recovery drive? Try to boot into the USB, if it works, you're installation of Windows probably got damaged, my guess by some kind of driver instability.

 

If you can boot into the recovery drive, you can attempt to repair your installation with some of the troubleshooting options, you could also use it to boot into Safe Mode.

 

If you can't boot to the USB, then I would try removing the SSD and any other parts that you don't need to boot the System (the bare minimum), get back into the BIOS and try to reset it manually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frostbite4075 said:

Can you create a Windows Installation USB and use it as a recovery drive? Try to boot into the USB, if it works, you're installation of Windows probably got damaged, my guess by some kind of driver instability.

 

If you can boot into the recovery drive, you can attempt to repair your installation with some of the troubleshooting options, you could also use it to boot into Safe Mode.

 

If you can't boot to the USB, then I would try removing the SSD and any other parts that you don't need to boot the System (the bare minimum), get back into the BIOS and try to reset it manually

i just tried a Windows 10 installation USB, and I still get nothing. And like I said, I've tried disconnecting my SSD and all the HDDs too, yet the PC still doesn't post, only the GPU lights up and case and CPU fans spin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TyZed said:

i just tried a Windows 10 installation USB, and I still get nothing. And like I said, I've tried disconnecting my SSD and all the HDDs too, yet the PC still doesn't post, only the GPU lights up and case and CPU fans spin.

Seems more like a Motherboard issue, to confirm, did you pull out the power before removing the CMOS battery? Just making sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frostbite4075 said:

Seems more like a Motherboard issue, to confirm, did you pull out the power before removing the CMOS battery? Just making sure

Yep. Tried with and without pulling out the power, both the CMOS battery removal and CMOS clearing jumper.

 

I'm leaning towards a motherboard fault too, but I can't understand how an application could cause this. This is actually a motherboard I bought as a replacement to my old motherboard which had two dead RAM sockets. If this one went kaput that would be horrible, since I believe I passed the checking warranty period.

 

The motherboard still indicates Ethernet activity, if that's any indication of anything.

 

I've tried using ASUS's Crashfree BIOS thingy to restore a potentially corrupted BIOS but inserting the USB before or after powering the PC does absolutely nothing. The PC is essentially a brick at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I pulled out my old motherboard, and it works with everything else properly. I don't know what MSI did to my motherboard but it just doesn't post anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×