Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Time Building - Does this build look good

Budget (including currency): ~ 1700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: FPS, College (ME Major), Some Video Editing for Youtube

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Completely New Build(Never owned a PC before)

CPU - Intel Core i5 12600K

CPU Cooler - EK-AIO 360 mm

Motherboard - MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600

Storage - Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card - Radeon RX 6700

Case - Corsair iCUE 4000x

Power Supply - Corsair RM 850x

Total Cost ~ 1600 USD

Questions I had:

-Does this build look ok?

-On PC part picker it says that I might have to update the BIOS and I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

-It also says that the cooler and the motherboard may need separately available mounting and I'm not sure what that is.

-What tools will I need to build a PC? Will I also need to buy separate zip-ties and a flash drive?

-Do I have to buy the 150 dollar Windows 11 Pro or is there other cheaper options

Pretty good, but I don't recommend using an AIO as a 12600K would run fine with a cheap air cooler like a Freezer 34. Also is it 3600mhz CL16 or CL18? If it's 18 then you should get 3200mhz CL16 since that performs the same while being cheaper.

You won't need a BIOS update in this case, so don't worry about it.

I think that means you need a mounting kit for LGA 1700. Might come with the cooler, if it doesn't you have to get one from EK.

All you need is a screwdriver and USB (for installing Windows). An antistatic wrist strap would be useful too. Usually the motherboard and sometimes the case and PSU come with zip ties, you don't need to worry about that. I know the RMx does as mine did.

You don't need to buy Windows for that much. If you don't buy it at all there will be a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen and you won't be able to change wallpaper etc. If you want a cheap key you can buy them on sites like SCDKeys for about $15

Edit: these parts should be better, the GPU is about 50% faster and the motherboard is also a bit nicer (it also has WIfi). I also changed the PSU to something cheaper

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($274.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($54.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB VENTUS 3X PLUS OC Video Card  ($819.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1734.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-20 12:52 EDT-0400

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

4 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

Budget (including currency): ~ 1700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: FPS, College (ME Major), Some Video Editing for Youtube

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Completely New Build(Never owned a PC before)

CPU - Intel Core i5 12600K

CPU Cooler - EK-AIO 360 mm

Motherboard - MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600

Storage - Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card - Radeon RX 6700

Case - Corsair iCUE 4000x

Power Supply - Corsair RM 850x

Total Cost ~ 1600 USD

Questions I had:

-Does this build look ok?

Build looks good. Maybe down the line an extra 2 sticks of memory for 32 gigs, and some more storage, but other than that looks good. 

6 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

-On PC part picker it says that I might have to update the BIOS and I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

People more experienced than me can answer the question about the bios. 

8 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

-It also says that the cooler and the motherboard may need separately available mounting and I'm not sure what that is.

You can order a separate lga 1700 mounting bracket from their website if it doesn't already come with one. 

8 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

-What tools will I need to build a PC? Will I also need to buy separate zip-ties and a flash drive?

zip ties are optional, but highly reccomended for cable management. A flash drive is required to download windows 11. Just download it onto the flashdrive from another computer. 

10 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

-Do I have to buy the 150 dollar Windows 11 Pro or is there other cheaper options

You can go onto 3rd party apps for waayyy cheaper windows 11 keys for around 30 bucks. After you put the flash drive with windows 11, download it, you will notice a watermark on the bottom left hand corner that says "activate windows 11." You can go onto a website such as (https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-11-pro-pc-microsoft-key-global-i10000271164001) and (https://www.kinguin.net/category/99894/windows-11-professional-retail-key)

Specs: 11700 | RTX 3060 | 32gb 3200mhz | 1tb 970 + 2TB HDD | Lian Li O11D Mini X Black

I'm 15 and live in the US