Newly installed 5600x not hitting baseclock

Nikon1149
Go to solution Solved by Nikon1149,

I figured it out! I had set a maximum CPU utilization in the power plan advanced section a few months ago, when the bills went crazy. I just remembered.

THIS IS SOLVED

Systems Spec

B450 Aorus Elite motherboard on F65 bios (which includes support for Zen 3)

650W power Supply

Windows 10 latest version

3060 TI FE (if that even matters)

It was a drop in upgrade from 1800x, which worked no problems or weirdness. As soon as I installed the CPU (I had been on bios supporting Zen 3 for months in readiness) I reset the bios, so all defaults (auto), I went into Cinebench to test, and the score was pitiful, and I can see the frequency reported in both task manager and HWinfo is hitting a wall at 2.15ghz. I've checked my temps in HWinfo, not even hitting 50 degrees.

I went into bios to try overclocking, and it will overclock to 4.4ghz all core no problem at all. Cinebench score is up to 1900, as it should be. Problem is, I don't want to run an overclock, I am being EXTREMELY frugal with my electricity as in the UK bills are up 60% from last year. I wanted to set it possibly into ECO made (45w) or maybe have a voltage offset to consume less power, not more.

Every time I switch back from an allcore overclock to auto, i'm back to this 2.15ghz wall. In Task manager is says the base clock is 3.7ghz, but it never hits it, even under cinebench workload. I just want normal boosting behavior. without an all core overclock.

Any ideas more than welcome.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Worried about power, but bought a 3090 TI... that's your biggest issue.

Are your voltages set in the BIOS to what they should be? 

You read that wrong my friend. 3060 ti. All voltages are set to Auto

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Oh lol my bad. But as I said, check the voltages.

I edited my previous past but not fast enough clearly, they are set to Auto. I want stock behaviour, I was only thinking of setting a Vcore offset if the chip worked as it should first. So yeah, all voltages at auto.

1 minute ago, Nikon1149 said:

I edited my previous past but not fast enough clearly, they are set to Auto. I want stock behaviour, I was only thinking of setting a Vcore offset if the chip worked as it should first. So yeah, all voltages at auto.

If it isn't working as it should, bumping it up a tiny bit won't be a massive increase in power bill unless you constantly hammer the chip with 100% usage.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

If it isn't working as it should, bumping it up a tiny bit won't be a massive increase in power bill unless you constantly hammer the chip with 100% usage.

Yeah I understand that, but i'm not ready to accept sub par operation yet. It's a brand new chip and ideally I want to undervolt it, not overclock it. This can be fixed I am sure.

I figured it out! I had set a maximum CPU utilization in the power plan advanced section a few months ago, when the bills went crazy. I just remembered.