What do y'all think of Samsung phones

Back in the mid 2010s, Samsung and Apple were the duopoly of the phones and tablets market.

Now I wanna get the community's opinion on this again. 

Comment below what you think of Samsung –their phones and their overall brand image, and why you think that way (eg, too expensive). 

My legendary budget setup:

• Audio: LG Type-C Earphones
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 840M + Intel IGPU
  • RAM: 8Gb Hynix 1600MHz RAM DDR3
  • HDD: 1TB 5400RPM 2.5"
  • Keyboard: HP KU0316
  • And yes, its the HP Pavilion 15-p220na

Last one I had was a S6, so it is a long time ago. My impression is nice hardware but I hate their software (prefer closer to stock android). They seem to be about the only people making half decent tablets which I'm still kinda considering but they're still way behind an iPad.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

for $500 + they are very good.

but under it there's so many competition which offer better features like from xiaomi or oppo.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

i'm a sucker for exotic phone design, so ofcourse i love the galaxy fold series.

other than that, i dunno. Samsung has been a top player for years, but their budget offerings are always crap.

budget Samsung is beyond bad. 32GB Storage, 2GB Memory on a phone made in 2020 should have never happened. instead of buying the right phone my mum decided to go as cheap as possible and buy the A11 instead of the A21. now i'm stuck here with it barely handling playing music on YouTube and slowing down all the time. the 32 GB of storage is no help either. i have about 1000 songs on the storage (its a total of 4GB because like 3 GB is a Remastered version of Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney Investigations in FLAC format, i don't need FLAC but i can't be arsed to go through 100 songs in Audacity to convert) with only 2GB of storage left in the end. 16GB being taken up by android itself. with its Snapdragon 450 it can just play Mean Bean Machine enough for me to not completely give up out of Frustration from a crappy experience. 

samsung phones and watches want to be the iphone of android. they CANT do it though, without serious consolidation of their lineup. so right now they are looking weird as a brand.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

I only buy Samsung phones and I tell most of my friend to do the same thing too so I may be a bit biased with this but here's why I do that :

Google backup your contacts and list of apps for you so when you get a new phone some stuff syncs. 

Samsung provide smart switch that allow to transfer sms, pictures, settings, home screen layout, all apps even ones not on play store... So when you get your new phone everything is set up as you left your previous one. This work 100% between Samsung phone but other Android phones or even from iPhone, it works too with some features removed (obviously cannot transfer iPhone home screen to a Samsung phone) 

Since Samsung phones are popular you got loads of community help, case and accessories. 

Samsung provide phones at all price range, they cost a bit more than redmi and poco but you have lots of options, tho I dont' recommend under a30 series as they are really slow

Samsung makes all kind of accessories and they all interconnect with smartthings app, I can turn on my TV and control it or stream my phone to my tv, use my smarttag to turn on the light from my bed etc... 

They arn't afraid of testing weird stuff as they include something like ITTT or automate right in the software to make automation easier. 

When I put my phone to charge the phone check if I'm at home and if yes it deactivate wifi, deactivate fast charging since if I'm at home charging it's for the night.. 

Or when I start my reading apps the phone turn on night mod, deactivate 120fps, lock rotation and turn down the brightness... 

You can do even more like custom notification, turning on stuff in your home... 

While I'm not overly fan of the look of the interface, the good thing is that I can easily downloads theme to shake things up and they are made by the community so there are loads of thems

Another neat stuff is being able to run multiple stream side by side, like for example listening through Bluetooth to a podcast while the kids watch on the speaker YouTube, on the same phone. 

Another use case is to take video call through Bluetooth while keeping a video running at the same time. 

And finally good lock is a compilation of apps made by Samsung that give you controls of loads of stuff like the navigation bar, the quick settings panels, the share menu, the multi-tasking capabilities, look of the keyboard and much more, basically perfect for tinkerer and maniacs like me. 

Oh well this was Hella long but this might tell you stuff you would never see in typical YouTube influencer reviews

1 hour ago, Natsukashii said:

And finally good lock is a compilation of apps made by Samsung that give you controls of loads of stuff like the navigation bar, the quick settings panels, the share menu, the multi-tasking capabilities, look of the keyboard and much more, basically perfect for tinkerer and maniacs like me. 

Completely forgot about good lock, hands down the best feature of Samsung phones(maybe dex too)

check your cables!

3 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Never had Samsung phone, but I see that they're more expansive (slightly) than their android relatives, but still they offer better bang for buck than those overpriced Iphones. Xiaomi beats Samsung for price/performance in phones.

In tablets section, is same situation, Samsung is clearly more expansive than other android tablets. For example, Xiaomi beats again Samsung both in specs and price. And obviously Ipads are overpriced. Recently we got this amazing tablet from Xioami which I put in comparison with Samsung and it's amazing, does its job well, offers 120Hz display and beats in almost every aspect that Samsung, which has more price.

So, in short, Samsung among phones and tablets seems like a brand with name, they know that and that's why they cost more than their android siblings and in non-android market, there's only one company - Apple. I personally wouldn't get Samsung. Why I should pay slightly more for name, when I can buy with same amount of money maybe not well known brand, but with better specs? Right now, I think Xiaomi is a rising star in this market that offers best bang for buck.

I wouldn't call iPhones overpriced. They have higher-resolution screens than the regular S22 family these days, faster better battery life and in some cases better cameras (zoom notwithstanding). Samsung can certainly fare better in terms of capacity and screen size for the money, but it's ultimately a wash. The Samsung edge mainly comes from courting budget buyers where Apple almost exclusively sticks to the high end.

And with iPads, I'd say Apple straight-up wins. Everything beyond the base iPad is faster than all Android tablets, and you're getting great screens, cameras and even a Thunderbolt port on the Pro. There's also a much stronger tablet app ecosystem (Google only just acknowledged that it needed to improve tablet support at I/O 2022)... hell, Apple even does some multitasking features better than on Android slates, and that's saying something given how reluctant it was to add that in the first place.

Xiaomi outdoes Samsung on price because it both has lower production costs, a ton of domestic customers and loads of non-phone accessories. It can sell you a Xiaomi 12 for a song in part because it can also sell you a TV, a fitness tracker, a robot vacuum, a WiFi router, a washer/dryer combo, a fridge... and there are many people in China alone who'll buy all of it.  Think of the kind of market clout Samsung wields in South Korea, only with a much larger population and more domestic manufacturing.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I wouldn't call iPhones overpriced. They have higher-resolution screens than the regular S22 family these days, faster better battery life and in some cases better cameras (zoom notwithstanding). Samsung can certainly fare better in terms of capacity and screen size for the money, but it's ultimately a wash. The Samsung edge mainly comes from courting budget buyers where Apple almost exclusively sticks to the high end.

I completely disagree (but remember its all opinion)

in terms of the highest end phones that you can customize beyond wallpapers and a few widgets, Xiaomi and samsung are constantly beating each other, multiple times per year. In terms of ecosystem, samsung has the most integrated ecosystem of android(so far). In terms of advancement and trying new things, samsung has their foldables with multiple new technologies in them (think under screen camera). I argue that samsung is better without their budget phones, or with serious consolidation. But again, that’s my take.

check your cables!