Im building a 12900k system do i need windows 11?

haveaniceday

Like the title suggests, im building a 12900k ddr5 system (if you want the full specs i'll reply to the thread) 

My question is as of writing this on the 20th of may 2022, is windows 11 a must for 12th gen systems? i mainly game on my system but i also do a bit of CAD work and renderings. 

Any help is appreciated 

A must? No. However if you want to take full advantage of the performance and efficiency cores you need to run Windows 11 or Linux. The proper scheduler isn't built into Windows 10.  It however will run other OS, and still be a very good performer.

Note if you use Linux you still need to run a new enough kernel with the alder Lake sechduler fixes in it, as this is relatively new to Linux too.

Also gotta remember windows 11 is bad, just plain bad.

I'm running an i7 12700k with 32GB of ddr5 @ 5600MHz and I have yet to experience any issue with windows 10 pro.

7 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Also gotta remember windows 11 is bad, just plain bad.

I'm running an i7 12700k with 32GB of ddr5 @ 5600MHz and I have yet to experience any issue with windows 10 pro.

this is what im afraid of. im thinking about just installing windows 10 and see how it goes. i really dont want to switch to win11 at least not right now but im reading about it and it seems 6 months ago win 11 was a nightmare but not so much right now. 

39 minutes ago, haveaniceday said:

this is what im afraid of. im thinking about just installing windows 10 and see how it goes. i really dont want to switch to win11 at least not right now but im reading about it and it seems 6 months ago win 11 was a nightmare but not so much right now. 

Its not, it works perfectly fine. Clean install, you're good to go.

17 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its not, it works perfectly fine. Clean install, you're good to go.

would you recommend a clean win11 install or a win10 instal then upgrade to 11?

2 minutes ago, haveaniceday said:

would you recommend a clean win11 install or a win10 instal then upgrade to 11?

Under no circumstance update to 11, that's where 90% of the problems arise. Clean install it. 

2 hours ago, haveaniceday said:

this is what im afraid of. 

So I primarily use Linux (for most things), but I do use Windows 11 for gaming. I've been using Windows 11 on my 12900k build since for the last 6 months? No issues?  Clean install, started with Windows 11 (not an upgrade).

3 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

So I primarily use Linux (for most things), but I do use Windows 11 for gaming. I've been using Windows 11 on my 12900k build since for the last 6 months? No issues?  Clean install, started with Windows 11 (not an upgrade).

I have also been running 11 since I built my system but I also upgraded my laptop with an 8th gen chip and didn't have any problems with it. 

I upgraded from 10 to 11 and haven't had any issues that I've noticed so far.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I upgraded from 10 to 11 and haven't had any issues that I've noticed so far.

This is a rule i've come into repeating that mainly aims at the.. lets say less experienced users with very old and dirty installs of 10. 

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

This is a rule i've come into repeating that mainly aims at the.. lets say less experienced users with very old and dirty installs of 10. 

That might be a valuable qualifier. My W10 install was less than 6 months old. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?