[almost SOLVED] Adoptable/Flex storage on an old Android phone (or App2SD?)

asheenlevrai
Go to solution Solved by asheenlevrai,

Actually the misunderstanding was on my side!!!

Bob1900 from XDA forum helped me out realizing the following:

- Che1-XX based on snapdragon 410 are "cherry" devices

- Che2-XX based on Kirin 620 (my device) are "cherryplus" devices

- I flashed a version of twrp that is designed for cherry devices and thus it won't let me flash the custom roms deigned for cherryplus devices while these are the ones I actually need.

Bob1900 pointed to this post which contain a link (not broken, yeah!) to a version of twrp designed for cherryplus devices.

Now I will try to flash this version of twrp and then flash a custom rom designed for cherryplus devices.

Fingers crossed

Unfortunately, Adoptable Storage is not as good as I hoped it would be.

Installing a custom ROM (and pico Gapps) left me with more internal storage space that with the custom ROM. This made the phone actually usable.

Then I formatted my 128GB SD card as internal and started to install as many apps as possible to test the limits. Turns out I can install several apps but then  I reach the limit of internal storage anyways. Only approximately 1.5 GB of the "internalized" SD card is used, the rest is "not available" to install apps since part of them still require to reside on the internal memory, apparently there's no way around that.

I was told that App2SD could be more efficient (a smaller amount of each app needs to stay on the internal memory, more can be moved to the SD card.

It seems like I'll need to read a bit about how to use App2SD and how to format the SD card properly. I will also need to root the phone to use this app. I shouldn't be difficult since I have a custom ROM now. I was told Magisk is the way to go. Again I'll need to read about how to setup magisk.

Any help or advice is appreciated here 🙂

Best,

-a-

@asheenlevraias I mentioned before only some apps will work on SD cards anyways. You may also want to look into see if anyone reparations your device, or has a guide on that. As you probably don't want to fly blind on that. I've had a few devices that I've repartitioned to gain room on.

Magisk has been the way to go for quite some time. With topjohnwu working for Google now, Magisk builds have been a bit slow, so quite a few (myself included) are using vvb2060'S builds of Magisk, they tend to be newer, as he builds them regularly. 

If you have problems coming up certified, or passing safety net, let me know, I'll send you some more links. 

20 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

Thanks 😀

Google camera doesn't show up in the playstore.

Open camera fails to record video.

Google camera is not in the play store, check XDA

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

20 hours ago, kamonanban said:

Google camera is not in the play store, check XDA

Using this I could find that the support level for Camera2 API on the Che2-L11 is "legacy". This sounds bad for Google Camera AFAIU...

Using this : Gcamator sais the api is disabled.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:02 PM, OhioYJ said:

Here are my notes, and I use the term "my" notes loosely, as I believe I copied these from an XDA post some where a very, very long time ago. If I could find it I would very much give credit, as it's been very helpful over the years, as I've used it across many devices, and many times over the years. However I did start using it first on a couple Honor 5Xs in the house:

I haven't look into details yet but it seems now we can partition the SD card in windows using minitool partition wizard. I'll read about that but I must admint that using a GUI makes things easier for me (and I am relatively familiar with MPW already). Then the SD card would be put back into the phone and 1 partition would be used as internal storage while the other is portable storage AFAIU...