Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 being weird, what's causing this?

Selestialnorre

Go to solution Solved by NemesisPrime_691,

Windows 11 has a sort of a bug with the taskbar when using multiple monitors (atleast in dual monitor setups) where if you have the start menu open while connecting a monitor or switching modes between Duplicate, Second screen only, or PC screen only, the start menu either just gets stuck on the taskbar or does this weird thing where the start menu is behind the taskbar and does not move.

I used to face this almost on a daily basis on my personal laptop (which is on Windows 11) when I connected my external monitor, but not on my work laptop which is still on Windows 10. The only solution to this would be to close the start menu before connecting an external monitor or changing modes. I have not looked through Windows 11 known issues so do not know if this is a bug that is known or reported. I should probably look in the feedback hub and report this is not already.

Hope this helps. 

Edit: in case the start menu is already stuck, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and restart the Windows Explorer.

Just a little bit of info for you. I run a dual monitor set up and this is my second monitor. The first monitor runs great, but the second taskbar seems to have a few issues as you can see from the screenshot. It'll also hide behind windows on occasions and sometimes, it'll even lose my icons pinned to it.

image.thumb.png.4c17cfd8d2eb4d251074b8c778ea1c11.png

It's windows 11, what did you expect? Jokes aside, try win + P, choose pc screen only, then restart. When back in windows win + p, extend.

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Windows 11 isn't really in it's final form. There are many feature updates yet to come, there are still a huge number of graphical issues and other bugs. The biggest issues I've experienced so far are:

1. Notifications are delayed, usually by around an hour (Or just show up twice, once when the notification arrives, and again an hour later)

2. Open windows will cross over the taskbar, covering parts of it. Clicking on the taskbar brings the taskbar back into full view

That's just my experience so far. Don't expect it to be perfect yet

53 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

It's windows 11, what did you expect? Jokes aside, try win + P, choose pc screen only, then restart. When back in windows win + p, extend.

I'll try that. Windows 11 seems to be just a rework of Windows 10, and I understand there's going to be bugs and weirdness happening. That being said, I absolutely love the new OS and just trying to figure out its gears. I'm not complaining about anything that happens, but maybe someone else has had the same weirdness happen to them and they have a solution.

Windows 11 has a sort of a bug with the taskbar when using multiple monitors (atleast in dual monitor setups) where if you have the start menu open while connecting a monitor or switching modes between Duplicate, Second screen only, or PC screen only, the start menu either just gets stuck on the taskbar or does this weird thing where the start menu is behind the taskbar and does not move.

I used to face this almost on a daily basis on my personal laptop (which is on Windows 11) when I connected my external monitor, but not on my work laptop which is still on Windows 10. The only solution to this would be to close the start menu before connecting an external monitor or changing modes. I have not looked through Windows 11 known issues so do not know if this is a bug that is known or reported. I should probably look in the feedback hub and report this is not already.

Hope this helps. 

Edit: in case the start menu is already stuck, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and restart the Windows Explorer.