Pc shuts down with burning smell

Hi, I've got a problem that started today after i upgraded my nvidia drivers.

When i launch into warzone in 2 min it freezes my pc and a burning smell comes from my pc and i have to force turn it off. After that on the motherboard a red led light vga is glowing and the pc won't boot. After i remove the graphic card and the ram and put it all back in it fires up on the first try. Installed a fresh version of windows with all my drivers. Even rolled back nvidia drivers to the previous version that was working fine. The BIOS is up to date and every time i launch into warzone it happens again. Smell/freeze/force shutdown/no boot/red vga led on the mobo/removal of components and then it starts up.

Specs:

ryzen 5 5600x

Msi b550m mortar mobo

2x8 ram 3200 mhz in slots 2 and 4

Nvidia rtx 3070ti

Power supply is 650w 80 gold from corsair.

Everything was working for 2 months without a problem.

Is my gpu faulty?

Could it be the PSU?

I really have no clue what to do.

I have warranty for all the components except the PSU but how do i know what is at fault.

And i noticed my gpu temps are higher than usual in msi afterburner. They go to 60c when idle and it was from 50 to 55 before this happend.

Any advice and help would be appriciated. Thx in advanced :)

The sniff test might be the only real suggestion here, sniff the GPU away from the PC, can you smell the burning?  How about the PSU?

Any signs of burning/melting on the PCIe socket or PCIe power connectors?  If its a modular PSU, check the other end is plugged into the PSU securely.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Blehhh said:

Hi, I've got a problem that started today after i upgraded my nvidia drivers.

When i launch into warzone in 2 min it freezes my pc and a burning smell comes from my pc and i have to force turn it off. After that on the motherboard a red led light vga is glowing and the pc won't boot. After i remove the graphic card and the ram and put it all back in it fires up on the first try. Installed a fresh version of windows with all my drivers. Even rolled back nvidia drivers to the previous version that was working fine. The BIOS is up to date and every time i launch into warzone it happens again. Smell/freeze/force shutdown/no boot/red vga led on the mobo/removal of components and then it starts up.

Specs:

ryzen 5 5600x

Msi b550m mortar mobo

2x8 ram 3200 mhz in slots 2 and 4

Nvidia rtx 3070ti

Power supply is 650w 80 gold from corsair.

Everything was working for 2 months without a problem.

Is my gpu faulty?

Could it be the PSU?

I really have no clue what to do.

I have warranty for all the components except the PSU but how do i know what is at fault.

And i noticed my gpu temps are higher than usual in msi afterburner. They go to 60c when idle and it was from 50 to 55 before this happend.

Any advice and help would be appriciated. Thx in advanced 🙂

A 650 Watt PSU seems a bit slim for a 3070Ti. What are your temps like when you play a game? Maybe you have a bad thermal paste application

6 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

A 650 Watt PSU seems a bit slim for a 3070Ti. What are your temps like when you play a game? Maybe you have a bad thermal paste application

It was all good since yesterday. While gaming it didin't go over 67 celsius which is really good imo. Idle was max 55 in rare cases. In like 6 hours after i come from work im gonna test it again and see where the smell is coming from. Really hope it's the psu since i wanted to replace that anyway. Could a bad psu cause temp spikes in the gpu? Thx for reply

if you have a multimeter you could try and measure the psu voltages to see if anything is to high

I have found out what the problem was. I had an adapter attached on my PSU cable that went in the graphic card. I somehow didin't see that my 6 pin cable had extra 2 pins on the side and I hooked it up and no problems. Benchmark was a success and warzone running without shutting down my pc and no burning smell.

Oh I forgot to mention the adapter I had on the PSU cable MELTED down. My temps in game are not going over 60c which is very good 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Thanks for answering guys. later