After 1.5 years, I got me a 3090 GPU.

I started off with a $2500 budget. Then the GPU shortage delayed me. I saved up cash and just kept getting more premium parts. Then EVGA had a 3090 B-stock for sale ($1199). Now I'm worried if everything will run accordingly.

1) Is 32 GB of RAM enough get the full use of 24 GB of VRAM on GPU? I saw a post recommending system RAM to be 2x the VRAM, to prevent any processing errors.

2) I'm expecting this configuration to run hotter than the depths of hell. Should I purchase a EVGA hybrid kit to lower the GPU temps? If so, any links or videos on how? Anyone with advice on if I should add paste/gel/putty/pads during the conversion? Any other conversion kits that would be better?

Note: Not looking to do custom water cool set up. I am currently moving every 6 months for work and do not have the tools/space to set one up. Hence why I'm looking at the hybrid kit.

3) Is 850 W enough power to run my setup? I've seen couple times in LTT videos, that Linus thinks 800 W is barely enough for a 3080. 

4) Any thoughts on my memory setup are welcome. Gonna use the M.2 to boot up the system. Then store most of my files on HDD. Would it be worth it to add a 2nd M.2 at 1 TB?

(including currency): None, already got my main components. Looking for advise on how to lower temp. See if I should add RAM or increase PSU.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All the games. Solidworks. Photo Editing. Homework on Office 365. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Mobo - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R

RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3600 

GPU - EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

PSU - Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold

SSD - Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2

HDD - WD Black 2 TB 7200 RPM

1 minute ago, Omnion4388 said:

1) Is 32 GB of RAM enough get the full use of 24 GB of VRAM on GPU? I saw a post recommending system RAM to be 2x the VRAM, to prevent any processing errors.

that is just dumb and makes no sense. You can even get away with using less than 16G ram with a 3090.

1 minute ago, Omnion4388 said:

2) I'm expecting this configuration to run hotter than the depths of hell. Should I purchase a EVGA hybrid kit to lower the GPU temps? If so, any links or videos on how? Anyone with advice on if I should add paste/gel/putty/pads during the conversion? Any other conversion kits that would be better?

Just use the card first as is then decide.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Omnion4388 said:

I would love to see the original post for that, it'd be a good laugh.

For modern games, 16GB is still tried and true. You could get more ram, but keep in mind, more ram is only useful if you actually use it.

3) Is 850 W enough power to run my setup

Yeah

4) Any thoughts on my memory setup are welcome. Gonna use the M.2 to boot up the system. Then store most of my files on HDD. Would it be worth it to add a 2nd M.2 at 1 TB?

I have secondary SSDs. They're all SATA, for gaming an all M.2 system is a flex more than a benefit

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

that is just dumb and makes no sense. You can even get away with using less than 16G ram with a 3090.

Just use the card first as is then decide.

Haha yeah. You start believe anything if you go down the rabbit hole enough. This is where I first started having doubts. 

8 minutes ago, Omnion4388 said:

Is 32 GB of RAM enough get the full use of 24 GB of VRAM on GPU? I saw a post recommending system RAM to be 2x the VRAM, to prevent any processing errors.

Basic logical fallacy in computer building made from hearsay from friend of a friend of a friend and so on. lol.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I would love to see the original post for that, it'd be a good laugh.

For modern games, 16GB is still tried and true. You could get more ram, but keep in mind, more ram is only useful if you actually use it.

Yeah

I have secondary SSDs. They're all SATA, for gaming an all M.2 system is a flex more than a benefit

I appreciate the straightforward answers! Here is the post where I first came across this supposed issue.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1240678-rtx-3090-ram-requirements/

I think I am going to go with secondary SSD's now that you mentioned it. My coworker recommended that setup and I never really diverged from it.

15 minutes ago, Omnion4388 said:

it works fine in my 16gb system

Note: Not looking to do custom water cool set up. I am currently moving every 6 months for work and do not have the tools/space to set one up. Hence why I'm looking at the hybrid kit.

use it as is first, expect VRAM to run hotter than what you're used to

3) Is 850 W enough power to run my setup? I've seen couple times in LTT videos, that Linus thinks 800 W is barely enough for a 3080.

if you already have the PSU, use it
if it's shutting down or smth, then upgrade it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it works fine in my 16gb system

use it as is first, expect VRAM to run hotter than what you're used to

if you already have the PSU, use it
if it's shutting down or smth, then upgrade it

That wasn't negative at all haha.

Good to hear. Just needed more data points. The good news is that it will be raised on my desk and AC vent is literally over the top of it.

What PSU you running?

You have nothing to worry about. I have a 5800x/3090 system I run on my little baby SF750 PSU. That Super Flower unit you have is quite good.

3 minutes ago, Omnion4388 said:

What PSU you running?

from CX550M, to RM850x to HX1000, and AX1600i

i own a couple 3090

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately