Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

intel i5 1135g7 power issues

my intel i5 1135g7 laptop only powers the ship up to 15 wats and it just stays there the chip is performing at half of its power is there a way i can fix this i found out this info by running msi after burner diagnostics monitering thing while playing  games

41 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Temps?

70 to 80 

On 5/19/2022 at 11:17 AM, karmic tr said:

70 to 80 

It might be thermal throttling. According to Ark it is configurable so you can poke around in BIOS settings to see if you have that option.

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

It might be thermal throttling.

It is not thermal throttling. It is power limit throttling.

The previous 10th Gen G7 processors were documented by Intel to have a 15W TDP rating. Starting with the 11th Gen G7, Intel has removed the 15W TDP rating from its publicly available documentation. The manufacturer of this laptop is likely using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce the 15W limit. Using ThrottleStop to increase the MSR or MMIO power limits is ignored if the EC power limit is set to 15W. The lowest value always wins control of the CPU.

A decent BIOS for a desktop CPU has options available so you can change the thermal throttling temperature but you are never going to see this feature in the BIOS of a laptop that uses a low power CPU. If you want to adjust the throttling temperature and the BIOS has not locked this feature, open the ThrottleStop Options window and have a look on the right side for the PROCHOT Offset setting. This can be used to control the thermal throttling temperature as long as it is not locked. If you see a lock icon near this setting, PROCHOT Offset cannot be adjusted. 

Setting PROCHOT Offset to 30 reduces the thermal throttling temperature from 100°C down to 70°C. Some Lenovo laptops are doing this so they can change the thermal throttling temperature dynamically. When that is the problem, I recommend using the Lock PROCHOT Offset option to prevent that from happening. 

image.png.cc8f2df19ef0af697c9f3c38f65bf800.png