How much of a difference really is there between 2400MHz 16gb vs 3200MHz 32GB for Intel i5 12400?

3 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

As per above, looks safe to me.

I wasn't able to find the XMP settings in my bios.. Everything was set to auto with yellow star next to it... also, do you think it's worth upgrading the bios?

Just now, cwgzz81 said:

Sorry I didn't know mentioning the GPU would be helpful lol I have the GTX 1070Ti lol

You are fine.

Aslo, in regards to uncomfortableness with XMP:

So long as you don't mess with the timings voltage and whatever else yourself, you are fine.

1 minute ago, cwgzz81 said:

I wasn't able to find the XMP settings in my bios.. Everything was set to auto with yellow star next to it... also, do you think it's worth upgrading the bios?

Updating? Yes. Lemme look up the manual for your mobo, and find out what the stars mean.

7 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

image.png.27f895b83a5503af374fd385e23cae11.png

this is stupid and i cant believe this made it into the video

the IMC is in the CPU, unless you're talking old CPU that still has a separate north bridge

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Updating? Yes. Lemme look up the manual for your mobo, and find out what the stars mean.

Awesome, thank you. I appreciate your help. 

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

the IMC is in the CPU, unless you're talking old CPU that still has a separate north bridge

from Intel's website:

"Make your game faster and more immersive than ever by overclocking1 DDR4/DDR5 memory using Intel® Extreme Memory Profile technology."

I know that there is an internal memory controller on the CPU, but I don't think that is how XMP works, especially since it works on non-k processors.

1 hour ago, cwgzz81 said:

Awesome, thank you. I appreciate your help. 

image.thumb.png.7b740b1af7fdf820ed594d4daf1d9c99.png

Do you have EasyTune installed?

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

from Intel's website:

"Make your game faster and more immersive than ever by overclocking1 DDR4/DDR5 memory using Intel® Extreme Memory Profile technology."

I know that there is an internal memory controller on the CPU, but I don't think that is how XMP works, especially since it works on non-k processors.

I was wrong. It does OC the IMC.

However, :

"Before you post an ALL-CAPS comment about this on Reddit, read this: Even though these are the official stated policies of AMD and Intel, both companies often enforce a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. Gamer’s Nexus actually made multiple attempts to have a CPU warranty voided by Intel support and found it very difficult to have XMP become an issue.

Memory “overclocking” tends to be fairly safe unless you’re reaching for extremely high clocks for that RAM–and by association, the CPU. For the average person who runs a PC at its stock speed and then flips on XMP support to hit DDR/3200 at 1.35 volts, the risk is generally recognized to be very low."

20 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Do you have EasyTune installed?

I don't know what that is so I am guessing I don't 

48 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

It's hard to describe, but basically, there is no point getting 32GB+ on a 12400, those higher capacities are better for stuff like the 5950X or the 12900, high core CPUs meant for multitasking.

12400 is in the wider picture no slouch for gaming. About the only thing I agree with you so far is that while this discussion is getting off topic it is by no means a low end CPU. By no means am I saying it is the fastest, but the differences between other current 6 cores, even 8 cores, for most games, will not be significant. Saying there is no point to a 12400 having 32GB of ram for gaming is like saying the same for a 5800X3D. Ok, I'd also agree, most games to most people are fine with 16GB but there are cases where more can be useful, without needing more CPU power.

Tell me, how was I supposed to make a judgment based off of the GPU is the GPU is not mentioned?

At 16GB it usually doesn't matter any more. I was just saying it as an illustration of factors that affect ram requirements more than the CPU itself. Look back a few years at the "is 8GB enough for gaming" testing.

Plus, different CPUs have different usecases, a 6 core 12 thread CPU is meant for light multitasking and gaming, not VM/rendering or whatever else uses 24 cores. There is no point in 32GB for the intended usecase of this CPU.

The intended use case of a general purpose mainstream CPU is whatever you want to run on it. You don't need a zillion cores to need more ram.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

29 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I was talking about the current lineup of the Core processors. i3-i9. If you want low end, a P4 can still run Windows 10. But obviously that has no impact on this discussion. It is irrelevant. As such, Pentiums and Celerons (even the new ones) are irrelevant. Especially when considering 16+ GB of RAM, and talking about gaming.

Problem is that you are still wrong in the limited context of Core i processors. i3 low end. i5 mid tier. i7 high tier. i9 top tier. Intel numbering is literally the clue here.

And I mean, the basic i3 12100 is a 4c8t part. It was not that many years ago that the top spec i7 was just like that. We managed to blow through 16GB of memory with that old i7. So why should that i3 be any different. Will it impact your fps? Absolutely. Running out of active threads can be as painful as running out of memory. In either case you have hit a hard bottleneck. And that i5 12400 is a 6c12t part. Plenty of oomph for most users, including gamers. There are plenty of usage scenarios where an enthusiast gamer can use >16GB ram without going nuts with multiple VMs.

Neither you or I have given OP the 10 page questionnaire required to give a definitive answer. We can only do recommendations, not hard facts.

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I agree. There have been examples of XMP rated memory damaging the IMC with to much vdimm. An XMP profile can also include overvoltage to other parts. I have seen XMP profiles that overvolt the System Agent as well as vdimm for example. Which is good, since that counteracts melting the IMC with a to large delta between the two voltages.

24 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I was wrong. It does OC the IMC.

Any increase in frequency over stock is overclocking. Doesn't matter if it is fclk, base/boost clock (multiplier), memory transfer rate, and more. Increased memory frequency is done by the IMC so any out of spec memory will by definition overclock the IMC. Luckily there are built in tolerances. Such that performance snobs like us can push the envelope without automatically breaking everything. A X.M.P. is just memory subsystem overclocking that is nearly guaranteed to work. But look at early Ryzen vs X.M.P. and you have examples of when they don't work.

1 hour ago, cwgzz81 said:

I don't know what that is so I am guessing I don't 

Aorus EasyTune, probably on Gigabyte's website

1 hour ago, porina said:

Saying there is no point to a 12400 having 32GB of ram for gaming is like saying the same for a 5800X3D.

Except that the 5800X3D can keep up with a 3090ti or 6950XT, while the 12400 cannot (at 1080p, or even 1440p, I imagine at 4k it's fine). As such, there is no reason to have the RAM capacity needed for higher settings if the CPU cannot reach those high settings in the first place. And, with direct storage becoming a thing, we won't need as much RAM in the future, or at least 16GB will remain the defacto for a while longer than it would without direct storage.

Anyways, my point was more that in tasks that require 32GB+ of RAM, the 12400 would not be the optimal option. I'm sure there is some application somewhere where that isn't true, but that isn't what OP is doing. Can the 12400 run 32GB just fine? Sure. It can support up to 128GB according to Intel. But would you want to? No. Applications that require 128GB of RAM are not well suited for the 12400. 

To OP, iirc 32GB 3600 kit is not that much more expensive, try get that instead? 

10 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Except that the 5800X3D can keep up with a 3090ti or 6950XT, while the 12400 cannot (at 1080p, or even 1440p, I imagine at 4k it's fine). As such, there is no reason to have the RAM capacity needed for higher settings if the CPU cannot reach those high settings in the first place.

If the game use 8GB RAM on low setting, it will still use 8GB on max setting at all resolution unless you ran out of VRAM. 

And, with direct storage becoming a thing, we won't need as much RAM in the future, or at least 16GB will remain the defacto for a while longer than it would without direct storage.

Direct Storage is for gaming only, and will mostly benefit open world game that need consistent on the fly texture streaming. It wont magically make your system need less RAM. 

Anyways, my point was more that in tasks that require 32GB+ of RAM, the 12400 would not be the optimal option.

Some games nowadays already use around 10gb-13gb of RAM, if you include background software like internet browser, Steam, Discord the system could easily use over 16GB. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |