Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inno3D 1070Ti Herculez SMD capacitor burnt

axido

Go to solution Solved by James Evens,

Try a 100nF 0402. Could also be a smaller value. Likely you don't need capacitor at all. Looks to me as it is a filter for the current measurement.

After clearing this situation measure nothing is shorted and the PCB below the blown capacitor is still there.

For the failure: MLC capacitors can crack. Unless you buy special types (nobody would do for a gaming GPU) they are very likely to short out if the failure accrues.

Heya, yesterday my monitors suddenly turned off and upon power cycling my machine the smd cap by what I assume to be the 5mOhm current sensing resistor blew - I've cleaned the area up somewhat and got rid of the failed capacitor - I've no idea where or how to reach out to find the exact value nor do I think it is possible to really solder one on without some specialized pcb equipment;

the exposed copper is a +12 or +5V power plane (direct short to one of the pcie power pins) and the other side of the blown cap is a short to ground - i'm assuming its some kind of a filtering capacitor right behind the current sensing resistor - assuming the place isn't shorted anywhere else; how should I proceed? would simply leaving out one of the caps be a big deal assuming there isn't a short anywhere else?

I've no idea why this occurred and I am certain my PSU isn't the issue - I didn't cheap out on it unlike this card!

Any help would be appreciated, ty!

edit: pcb has the marking n107t-2sdn-p5ds

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

20220519105644.png

Try a 100nF 0402. Could also be a smaller value. Likely you don't need capacitor at all. Looks to me as it is a filter for the current measurement.

After clearing this situation measure nothing is shorted and the PCB below the blown capacitor is still there.

For the failure: MLC capacitors can crack. Unless you buy special types (nobody would do for a gaming GPU) they are very likely to short out if the failure accrues.

8 minutes ago, James Evens said:

sadly the pads are gone, no easy soldering job - some of the copper melted a fair bit but I don't think it went through the next layer. There's a second cap on top but from my rudimentary multimeter measure it isn't a short despite the copper being melted around that too

IMG_6027.thumb.jpg.88ef0f416c742b0eca54375296fa916b.jpg

With a milling machine you could clean it up.

Handtools like Dremel aren't the right tool for this job.

6 minutes ago, James Evens said:

With a milling machine you could clean it up.

Handtools like Dremel aren't the right tool for this job.

I don't own such a machine unfortunately, I cleaned the area with an old toothbrush to get rid of the carbonized stuff

1 hour ago, axido said:

I don't own such a machine unfortunately, I cleaned the area with an old toothbrush to get rid of the carbonized stuff

You could rent or borrow one

@Somerandomtechyboi You can't.

It should be at least be a device of this class:

Miniature_milling_machine.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Miniature_milling_machine.jpg

Heavy, precision machinery (calibration is required after every time you move it around. Be it within the shop or transporting it  to a new location).

Best bet would be a lokal maker space.

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

solved; removed the two charred caps, cleaned the area and will cover it in some insulating compound - gpu outputs just fine & will underclock just to be sure

thank you all!