Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unsure if my rtx 3090ti is bottlenecked by PCIE lanes

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
12 minutes ago, cleric_warlock said:

I read on another forum that having a lot of vram can eliminate the pcie bottlenecking in a lot of situations, and this is mainly a gaming pc, do you think my vram might prevent bottlenecking?

Maybe? again, it's minimal to begin with. If you want to see benchmarks, look up the 3090 on Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 since Gen 3 x16 is the same bandwidth as Gen 4 x8, and the 3090 is very similar performance as the 3090 Ti and VRAM capacity is the same. 

Just got my first ever pc build up and running and am unsure of how to be sure if my GPU is being bottlenecked in pcie bandwidth by my current setup. The main components of my build are an intel i9 12900KS cpu (20 pcie lanes, gen 5 support), the aforementioned gpu (pcie 4.0 x16, 24GB VRAM), the asus rog maximus z690 hero mobo, and the m.2 expansion card that comes with the mobo and supports pcie 5.0 ssds. The m.2 card in its expansion slot uses 8 pcie lanes, leaving the gpu at 8 pcie 4.0 lanes. I am only ever using one of the 2 m.2 nvme ssds at a time and both are identical and have windows 11 operating systems on them (chose not to use RAID intentionally). One is in the primary slot next to the cpu and the other is in the primary slot of the expansion card. Would I see a noticeable gpu performance increase if I were to remove the m.2 expansion card and only operate the ssd next to the cpu? Would I see a similar performance increase if I instead left the expansion card on and removed the ssd next to the cpu?

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6400; 2 x (16GB x 2); CL32-39-39-102; 1.40 V
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

You might see an increase if you removed the one in the x8 slot depending on what you do, but it's only in a few games and maybe 3-5% in the ones that do. It's enough that I'd put the SSD in a chipset slot instead cause realistically you won't notice the latency penalty from the chipset, though depending on what you do it might be more or less important. 

If you're doing some rendering tasks with the 3090 Ti, you want as much bandwidth as you can for that card and you likely will notice a difference between it running at x8 Gen 4 and x16 Gen 4. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You might see an increase if you removed the one in the x8 slot depending on what you do, but it's only in a few games and maybe 3-5% in the ones that do. It's enough that I'd put the SSD in a chipset slot instead cause realistically you won't notice the latency penalty from the chipset, though depending on what you do it might be more or less important. 

If you're doing some rendering tasks with the 3090 Ti, you want as much bandwidth as you can for that card and you likely will notice a difference between it running at x8 Gen 4 and x16 Gen 4. 

I read on another forum that having a lot of vram can eliminate the pcie bottlenecking in a lot of situations, and this is mainly a gaming pc, do you think my vram might prevent bottlenecking?

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6400; 2 x (16GB x 2); CL32-39-39-102; 1.40 V
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

12 minutes ago, cleric_warlock said:

Maybe? again, it's minimal to begin with. If you want to see benchmarks, look up the 3090 on Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 since Gen 3 x16 is the same bandwidth as Gen 4 x8, and the 3090 is very similar performance as the 3090 Ti and VRAM capacity is the same.