Motherboard doesn't turn on with 8 pin cpu connector

Hey guys. A little backstory here.

I was doing some light office work this morning and all of the sudden the PC shuts down. No power outage, nothing spilled on it or stepped on it, it just stopped.

After trying to turning it on back again, it lighted up and then shutdown. I knew instantly that the PSU was somehow protecting the system and probably something was making short circuit.

I began to strip down the PC and at the end I tried all the componentes with another working AM4 board and GPU, CPU and PSU all worked flawlessly when I tried in the other system.

However, the motherboard alone when connected with the 24 pin does turns on, it's when I include the 8 pin connector that fails and won't light up. I tried this with and without two working CPUs and two working PSUS and the result is the same.

The system altogether, including mobo were brand new and bought them in December 2019. The only problem that I had recently was a faulty RAM that was replaced about 2 months ago and It was working without issues.

Does it have a fix? Is the Mobo dead? How can I prevent this in the future?

Btw MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Any answers will be appreciated, thank you!

if you tested every component in another system, and tried another psu with your system, that leaves only the motherboard that could be bad. as far as why, probably just luck of the draw, defects happen. seems obvious, and unlikely, but did you try the basics like clearing cmos, and shorting the power pins instead of using the pwr switch?

edit: did you try your ram in the other system, and/or try different ram in your system?

3 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

if you tested every component in another system, and tried another psu with your system, that leaves only the motherboard that could be bad. as far as why, probably just luck of the draw, defects happen. seems obvious, and unlikely, but did you try the basics like clearing cmos, and shorting the power pins instead of using the pwr switch?

edit: did you try your ram in the other system, and/or try different ram in your system?

I did clear the CMOS even used another battery however I didn't short the pins because I thought it was doing much difference but I'll try it tomorrow.

Yes, I tried different RAM in my system (this when I had the issue before) and tried my ram in other systems (this today and before), however that's a past issue and it was a faulty one that's collecting dust in my tool box. I'm going to try to write to MSI to see if there's any fix with them directly, is out of warranty but out of curiosity to see if they can handle a fix to it.

Thank you for replying btw