Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

World of Warships crashed back to BIOS screen. Goodness ...HELP?

RaputerXpert

So a YouTube sponsor mentioned a game called World of Warships, so I downloaded it, even with a 300 Mbps connection it took 40 minutes. Anyway, I installed it. I began a beginner game and just started shooting ship's cannons at mountains, houses, hospitals, and anything in range. After about 3 minutes, the computer just shutdown. I had to press the power button about 6 times before it would boot. Old hardware? High Temps? Karma?

Anyone knows if this was just too much for my 2015 era home built computer to handle?

What if I bought a GTX 980 and shoved it in the case, would it fix this iron horse computer?

Or is 85C-91C temps the real and only issue?

The system I was using was as follows.

CPU - i5-4570   air cooled

graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

8 GB Ram

Thanks for your attention and time.🤔

What power supply do you have? You can check your temps to see using hardwareinfo, and look at it under load.

Usually though this happens with an old power supply not being able to provide enough power during a spike.

11 minutes ago, Estiar said:

What power supply do you have? You can check your temps to see using hardwareinfo, and look at it under load.

Usually though this happens with an old power supply not being able to provide enough power during a spike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFAFRW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this power supply good enough?

A card that old might also be dried out thermal paste. I had two 660's in SLI, one was dried out. It was running games horribly. Changed the paste runs way better and cooler. Also might be a heat issue. Dust bunnies kill computers.

1 hour ago, Jsmitty75 said:

A card that old might also be dried out thermal paste. I had two 660's in SLI, one was dried out. It was running games horribly. Changed the paste runs way better and cooler. Also might be a heat issue. Dust bunnies kill computers.

Taking apart a video card and removing older thermal compound and replacing with better paste is above my skill level.

But thank you for giving me a likely improvement.🙂

On 5/19/2022 at 3:46 AM, RaputerXpert said:

Or is 85C-91C temps the real and only issue?

and thats only what you saw... (is that cpu temp?) other things might get even hotter in such a scenario. 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:09 AM, RaputerXpert said:

Taking apart a video card and removing older thermal compound and replacing with better paste is above my skill level.

To be fair,  its old and probably not worth much anymore, so a great opportunity to learn and maybe fix it?

Its honestly not that hard especially on a lot of older cards... i wouldn't really want to do it on a modern fancy card either,  but i did it with a x1950gt recently and it was super easy, just a few screws..  replace paste, the pads were thankfully still ok... done in 10-20 minutes (well and i took a lot of pics during that time too...)

Depends on the model of your card, but i think there isnt really much skill involved,  watch a tutorial and you should know how it goes. 

20210222_234355.thumb.jpg.bec36befad3ac25800a553217f3218a1.jpg

20210222_200059.thumb.jpg.3a203601ac476ad08eabe2dc4214f6ad.jpg20210222_233632.thumb.jpg.18ec116a33fed1582d068bc2bda41c66.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ps: here a random video... those cards are still pretty straight forward,  as said just a few screws... and god damn is he terrible at removing paste, its all over the place! but still felt confident enough to make a video, plus in the end *it doesn't really matter how it looks, important is its getting the job done lol*

(personally i use demakeup pads, qtips and isopropyl alcohol to clean off the paste but as you can see an old paper towel works also...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, Mark Kaine said:

and thats only what you saw... (is that cpu temp?) other things might get even hotter in such a scenario. 

To be fair,  its old and probably not worth much anymore, so a great opportunity to learn and maybe fix it?

Its honestly not that hard especially on a lot of older cards... i wouldn't really want to do it on a modern fancy card either,  but i did it with a x1950gt recently and it was super easy, just a few screws..  replace paste, the pads were thankfully still ok... done in 10-20 minutes (well and i took a lot of pics during that time too...)

Depends on the model of your card, but i think there isnt really much skill involved,  watch a tutorial and you should know how it goes.

(personally i use demakeup pads, qtips and isopropyl alcohol to clean off the paste but as you can see an old paper towel works also...)

I have discovered my GPU FAN is not moving!   This is either a dead fan or the enourmous amounts of clumpy dust I can see inside the fan shround and within the fan blades as well. How in the world could I clean that fan which is deep inserted just to see if that is why it isn't turning?

How many C is the non moving GPU Fan responsible for?

thanks.

2 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

I have discovered my GPU FAN is not moving!   This is either a dead fan or the enourmous amounts of clumpy dust I can see inside the fan shround and within the fan blades as well. How in the world could I clean that fan which is deep inserted just to see if that is why it isn't turning?

How many C is the non moving GPU Fan responsible for?

thanks.

The C the fan is responsible for is nearly all of it when you have it loaded like that. Some compressed air in a can can help you with cleaning the HSF.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Corsshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 16gb DDR4 3000 CL16 @ 3200 CL16, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster Z, 1tb ADATA SX8200, 1tb Intel 665P, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Dell SFF Optiplex 990, i7 2600, 20gb of random DDR3, MSI GTX 1650, ADATA 240gb SSD, HP laptop Blu-ray drive, 2tb WD Blue HDD (no RGB 😭)

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 800@933, VIA Epia ML-8000a, 1gb of DDR, TNT2 M64 @ 150/170, WD 20GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Seasonic 500w PSU, A case 🤣