Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No display ryzen 7 2700x

Recently I've been upgrading my pc. I have upgraded the cpu from a ryzen 5 3400g to a ryzen 7 2700x. Since I have had no display. Updated bios and still nothing. Anyone know whats up? 

9 minutes ago, ducky1337 said:

Recently I've been upgrading my pc. I have upgraded the cpu from a ryzen 5 3400g to a ryzen 7 2700x. Since I have had no display. Updated bios and still nothing. Anyone know whats up? 

Do you have a GPU installed?

Main: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.2 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 36 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 TrueNAS Core

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

Not a lot to go off. But to take a guess, the 3400g has a built in APU (Graphics chip), whereas the 2700x does not, it would need a dedicated GPU. 

If you don't have a dedicated GPU, you'll need one to use the 2700x. If you do, you need to make sure your display is connected to the GPU instead of the motherboard video ports. 

Where the computer outputs video to (APU/onboard VS dedicated GPU), can sometimes be a setting in the BIOS. If you are using a dedicated GPU, you may be able to resolve the issue by doing a BIOS/UEFI reset. 

19 minutes ago, DogKnight said:

Not a lot to go off. But to take a guess, the 3400g has a built in APU (Graphics chip), whereas the 2700x does not, it would need a dedicated GPU. 

If you don't have a dedicated GPU, you'll need one to use the 2700x. If you do, you need to make sure your display is connected to the GPU instead of the motherboard video ports. 

Where the computer outputs video to (APU/onboard VS dedicated GPU), can sometimes be a setting in the BIOS. If you are using a dedicated GPU, you may be able to resolve the issue by doing a BIOS/UEFI reset. 

I do indeed have a GPU it's a 3050 

31 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Do you have a GPU installed?

Yea I have a gpu and my hdmi is plugged into the gpu and not the motherboard, I've also upgraded the bios and its still not working. 

30 minutes ago, ducky1337 said:

Yea I have a gpu and my hdmi is plugged into the gpu and not the motherboard, I've also upgraded the bios and its still not working. 

What specific motherboard? I can't think of a motherboard that supports the 3400G but not the 2700X, but I might be forgetting something

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sometimes when changing from onboard to a dedicated GPU the system doesn't make the needed change in the BIOS automatically.
Updating the BIOS isn't the same as resetting it, you'll probrably have to reset the board's BIOS back to defaults via battery removal or reset button on the back (If it has one) and see if it works at all that way.

A newer BIOS doesn't always solve problems, in fact it can be the root of some issues you'd run into concerning older pieces of hardware.

Also, Although I'm not personally aware of support being removed for 2xxx series Ryzens from any BIOS files (Yet) it's possible, depending on the board you have. 
How about some hardware specs like what board make and model are you running, that would help everyone with their thoughts about what could be going on here.

8 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

What specific motherboard? I can't think of a motherboard that supports the 3400G but not the 2700X, but I might be forgetting something

Sadly as my pc is a hp gaming prebuild there isn't a specific name for the motherboard so I have no idea what it is. 

5 minutes ago, ducky1337 said:

Sadly as my pc is a hp gaming prebuild there isn't a specific name for the motherboard so I have no idea what it is. 

For an HP prebuilt, they might not have made the motherboard compatible with 2000 series Ryzen, because an OEM motherboard doesn't need to support general compatibility rules.

I recommend you look up the supported CPU list for your PC

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

For an HP prebuilt, they might not have made the motherboard compatible with 2000 series Ryzen, because an OEM motherboard doesn't need to support general compatibility rules.

I recommend you look up the supported CPU list for your PC

do you think if i just buy a new motherboard then it will work? one that supports this cpu ofc

49 minutes ago, ducky1337 said:

do you think if i just buy a new motherboard then it will work? one that supports this cpu ofc

You should share the model of your PC first, so we can determine compatibility. 

If your current motherboard isn't compatible with the 2700X, then yes, I think a new motherboard like a B450 would be good. But, if the 2700X is supported but it's not working anyway, there might be a problem with the CPU.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

You should share the model of your PC first, so we can determine compatibility. 

If your current motherboard isn't compatible with the 2700X, then yes, I think a new motherboard like a B450 would be good. But, if the 2700X is supported but it's not working anyway, there might be a problem with the CPU.

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1042na

17 minutes ago, ducky1337 said:

Strange, when I look this computer up on HP's site, all I see is a support sheet for 4000 series Ryzen APUs. It doesn't even have the 3400G that you said you used to have.

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c07030921

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06945872

But, it also incorrectly says that the motherboard is LGA 1200. Which is an Intel socket.

I can't find a user upgrading this desktop with a 2700X, so instead of rolling the dice on a Ryzen 5 3600 or something, I do recommend a B450 motherboard, IF the power supply is standard

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Strange, when I look this computer up on HP's site, all I see is a support sheet for 4000 series Ryzen APUs. It doesn't even have the 3400G that you said you used to have.

But, it also incorrectly says that the motherboard is LGA 1200. Which is an Intel socket.

That is frustrating and funny at the same time.

2 hours ago, ducky1337 said:

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1042na

After doing some research, I would classify this system as potential E waste. Sorry about the truth, but based on the info I can find, the upgrade path for this system would be very limited because of the non standard components and HP's messed up technical information.

If you want to find out what CPU/s would work for your system, you may need to find the exact system(motherboard) with a different CPU installed as a reference guide, but there is a chance that different CPU may not work because of different BIOS updates.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4 GEIL Evo Potenza, OC to 3200Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: NONE, eveything works fine, no need to upgrade, stop telling me I need an SSD. Ok, things be slow sometimes.
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
(Yes, I use a CRT and I prefer gaming on one)

Cooling: Grill with filter installed onto the front panel for air intake cooling with a 120mm Corsair ML120 fan and an old recycled 92mm cooler master(forgot model) fan for exhaust.

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

51 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

After doing some research, I would classify this system as potential E waste. Sorry about the truth, but based on the info I can find, the upgrade path for this system would be very limited because of the non standard components and HP's messed up technical information.

If you want to find out what CPU would work for your system, you may need to find the exact system(motherboard) with a different CPU installed as a reference guide, but there is a chance a different CPU may not work because of different BIOS updates.

This 100%.

OP, all you can do is try to find out which CPUs your model supports, which isn't easy given HP list completely different parts for that same model number nowadays..

Pretty sure you can't put a standard ATX board in that case unfortunately.

1 hour ago, heatonpkmassive said:

This 100%.

OP, all you can do is try to find out which CPUs your model supports, which isn't easy given HP list completely different parts for that same model number nowadays..

Pretty sure you can't put a standard ATX board in that case unfortunately.

I did some digging and the system model "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01" is what they are listed under as a lineup at places like Newegg.
They can be either AMD or Intel based builds as spec'ed when you order one, it's quite similar to ordering a config'ed lappy by model from what I'm seeing.

No, the case is not compatable with standard PC boards and stuff in general so you can't pop a standard desktop board into one.

Best bet - Pop the old chip back in and don't worry about it or plan on doing a custom build.

It only Supports Ryzen 5 processors. 

That means, no Ryzen 7 or 9 support. 

20 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Best bet - Pop the old chip back in and don't worry about it or plan on doing a custom build.

Agreed!

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I can't find a user upgrading this desktop with a 2700X, so instead of rolling the dice on a Ryzen 5 3600 or something, I do recommend a B450 motherboard, IF the power supply is standard

You're damn close brother. Ryzen 5 only. This is HP's stupid way of telling the consumer what it does support. That lack the common sense to add a little foot note, no Ryzen 7 or 9 support......

I'd do the 4600G as an upgrade though. Should net a 15% (ish) performance boost I think.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

If you want to find out what CPU/s would work for your system, you may need to find the exact system(motherboard) with a different CPU installed as a reference guide, but there is a chance that different CPU may not work because of different BIOS updates.

its sad tbh, but ive just ordered a new case a gigabyte motherboard

1 hour ago, Guest 5150 said:

You're damn close brother. Ryzen 5 only. This is HP's stupid way of telling the consumer what it does support. That lack the common sense to add a little foot note, no Ryzen 7 or 9 support......

I'd do the 4600G as an upgrade though. Should net a 15% (ish) performance boost I think.

I don't think "Ryzen 5" on that first sheet means much. The second sheet lists the 4300G, 4600G, and 47000G as compatible, which doesn't surprise me. They have more in common than a 3400G and a 4600G that's for sure.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

44 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't think "Ryzen 5" on that first sheet means much. The second sheet lists the 4300G, 4600G, and 47000G as compatible, which doesn't surprise me. They have more in common than a 3400G and a 4600G that's for sure.

Right. It means next to where it says 

"Processor type" Ryzen 5

"Processor Family" Ryzen 5

Pretty straight forward, but lacks the confirmation.

4600G gets my vote either way. 🙂

Spoiler

Likely the real issue here is Pinnacle Ridge support or TDP support. The 2700X is a whopping 105 W, and HP's penny pinching VRM might not be up to the job. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen HP arbitrarily lock CPU's out before.

Main: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.2 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 36 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

21 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

No, the case is not compatable with standard PC boards and stuff in general so you can't pop a standard desktop board into one.

Just more potential E-waste SMH.

20 hours ago, ducky1337 said:

its sad tbh, but ive just ordered a new case a gigabyte motherboard

It is sad, you spend money on an OEM prebuilt PC and have poor upgrade support and important parts that cannot be reused in other future builds. It is their scummy way.

If you need help with the new system build, I'm sure the forums here would be a great place to find help.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4 GEIL Evo Potenza, OC to 3200Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: NONE, eveything works fine, no need to upgrade, stop telling me I need an SSD. Ok, things be slow sometimes.
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
(Yes, I use a CRT and I prefer gaming on one)

Cooling: Grill with filter installed onto the front panel for air intake cooling with a 120mm Corsair ML120 fan and an old recycled 92mm cooler master(forgot model) fan for exhaust.

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Wow HP. 65 W maximum. No chance of running most higher end CPU's.

Screenshot_20220520-181316_Chrome.jpg

36 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Wow HP. 65 W maximum. No chance of running most higher end CPU's.

It really looks like it only supports APUs, but I'd go out on a limb for a 3600X and cross the fingers. 50% chance it'll post. 

Spoiler