Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Used Radeon Pro WX 9100 won't post

Looking for some help, I built this system for a friend and for some reason the system wont post consistently when the graphics card is installed(by that I mean it fails to post about 1/4 the time. I got it to work consistently for a while by putting it into another pcie x16 slot, but as soon as I brought it over it stopped working again. Any idea's or help is much appreciated.

specs:

Asus Prime Z690-p WIFI D4
Radeon Pro WX 9100
Corsair AX860

Things I tried: Swapping the power supply, reseating components checking cables, updated bios on motherboard and installed newest Radeon drivers. 

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

When it doesn’t are there and debug codes lights or beeps?  If you examine the “comb” (the connectors on the bottom) do they look to be in good shape?  Are there any overclocks on the machine?

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

When it doesn’t are there and debug codes lights or beeps?  If you examine the “comb” (the connectors on the bottom) do they look to be in good shape?  Are there any overclocks on the machine?

There are no debug codes or lights from what I have seen. The power button does stay on for about a second and turn off repeatedly when it doesn't post. By comb do you mean the connectors by the power supply? I checked to make sure they were all plugged in when I reinstalled it but I'll take another look. The only overclock is the memory using xmp, Although toggling that didn't seem to affect it.

1 hour ago, UIJess said:

There are no debug codes or lights from what I have seen. The power button does stay on for about a second and turn off repeatedly when it doesn't post. By comb do you mean the connectors by the power supply? I checked to make sure they were all plugged in when I reinstalled it but I'll take another look. The only overclock is the memory using xmp, Although toggling that didn't seem to affect it.

The pcie connector on the card.  Sorry.  Bit of aphasia there.  I couldn’t think of the word for whatever reason.  The thing that fits into the slot that has gold contacts on both sides.  Any of those connectors messed up?

as for the debug codes, if it’s not posting it has to throw them somehow.  Those are the three ways. If there’s no LEDs and no digital readout it has to be audio in which case you’ve got to plug in a speaker.  The motherboard manual should have details.

XMP is notorious for screwing things up.  Best to debug without it.  Turn it on later.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Bombastinator said:

The pcie connector on the card.  Sorry.  Bit of aphasia there.  I couldn’t think of the word for whatever reason.  The thing that fits into the slot that has gold contacts on both sides.  Any of those connectors messed up?

as for the debug codes, if it’s not posting it has to throw them somehow.  Those are the three ways. If there’s no LEDs and no digital readout it has to be audio in which case you’ve got to plug in a speaker.  The motherboard manual should have details.

XMP is notorious for screwing things up.  Best to debug without it.  Turn it on later.

The PCIE connector seemed just fine. Haven't been using XMP for a bit.

Its still having issues from time to time. I'll look at the manual to figure out its debugging codes but if you have any other ideas for what I should do I'm all ears.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UIJess said:

The PCIE connector seemed just fine. Haven't been using XMP for a bit.

Its still having issues from time to time. I'll look at the manual to figure out its debugging codes but if you have any other ideas for what I should do I'm all ears.

So posting sometimes because it’s also booting  sometimes post is “Power On Self Test” it’s an app run while the system is powering up from stuff on the motherboard before the OS is even looked at. Makes sure the hardware is runnning OK. If XMP improved things your problem is in memory or power supply.  If it’s a prebuilt (to include laptops) that’s probably not an issue because the PSU was chosen by someone who knew the capacity of the machine and there’s not much that can be done about it anyway.  What PSU do you have?

Edited by Bombastinator