Inexpensive, Ready to go RAID 5 solution?

DCWalt

I'm looking for a raid solution that I can edit video from. I need to keep cost as low as possible and the less fiddling around with hardware and software, the better. I just need something simple and reliable without selling a kidney.

Any suggestions?

@DCWalt
Are you looking for an internal RAID solution like a controller card, for SSDs or HDDs? Or are you looking for an external enclosure like a NAS or a USB Type C connected device?

Do you have any performance requirements? 1gb/s, 2.5gb/s, 5gb/s etc.. What kind of performance are you wanting/expecting? 

What's your price range? Not everyone values their kidneys the same.

3 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

@DCWalt
Are you looking for an internal RAID solution like a controller card, for SSDs or HDDs? Or are you looking for an external enclosure like a NAS or a USB Type C connected device?

Do you have any performance requirements? 1gb/s, 2.5gb/s, 5gb/s etc.. What kind of performance are you wanting/expecting? 

What's your price range? Not everyone values their kidneys the same.

A type C external enclosure would be preferable. Needs to be fast enough to handle 1080p video editing. I'm expecting a price around $600-$800. Less is, of course, better.

13 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

A type C external enclosure would be preferable. Needs to be fast enough to handle 1080p video editing. I'm expecting a price around $600-$800. Less is, of course, better.

Video editing is very performance demanding, so you likely won't find something with a huge capacity in the price range. But if I were in your shoes I'd likely get an enclosure like this one: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3EX4M2/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQjwspKUBhCvARIsAB2IYutkzjHtUf9vq8IgIk0kOTGR4WBx3F6xlVGgkAZIUQqvj5dRPFSVkLYaAvKSEALw_wcB

Then I'd grab 4x WD Red SN700 SSDs (NAS SSDs for reliability), in what ever capacity I could afford, and RAID the drives in the enclosure. The above device maker has their own software raid solution if needed: https://software.owcdigital.com/

Depending on capacity you can fit the above in your budget, but you maybe want to buy large drives down the road based on your need, or maybe even cheaper but larger drives to begin with.